iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bell Loggers

Started by Tentman, April 26, 2012, 06:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tentman

Hello Guys - been looking here for while and have finally taken the plunge to join and tap the wonderful pool of knowledge here.

I'm real interested in building things that we can use on our small holding and in the light contracting we do.  An idea is brewing for a machine like a Bell logger, lighter and more multipurpose, possibly a cross between a Logger chassis configuration but with telehandler/skid steer implement capabilities.  Before I start down this path I'd love to here from people who have operated one how they perform:

- in soft ground conditions/mud etc
- on slopes

Thanks - Foster

oldseabee

Good Day Foster:
The Bell Logger started in South Africa as a machine to handle sugar cane and then fork lift attachments were added, then they went into the logging business. They work well in most terrains depending on tire size. Limits as a telehandler would depend on how much weight you are talking about and how far out you want to reach. Depending on the model they have various hydraulic capabilities.
I worked for Bell for 9 years as National Service Manager and do have some specs on hand.
Bill

Tramp Bushler

Sorry for my ignorance , but what is a Bell Logger ??
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

oldseabee

Bell is a South African company that built 3 wheel and tracked feller bunchers with saw head or shears. They were hydrostatic drive machines, not pretty but put more wood on the ground for less money then anything else. No longer sold here in the US but a lot of the old ones are still around.

lumberjack48

Quote from: Tramp Bushler on April 30, 2012, 06:27:53 AM
Sorry for my ignorance , but what is a Bell Logger ??

Heres a video of one with shear head or saw head, tires or tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvws3glgles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDNGz7SbPu4

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Tramp Bushler

LJ . That is awesome . Thanks for the vids . .
Looks like it would take some time to aclimate after a day in one of them .

nhlogga

Quote from: Tramp Bushler on April 30, 2012, 02:54:20 PM
LJ . That is awesome . Thanks for the vids . .
Looks like it would take some time to aclimate after a day in one of them .

They can beat the heck outa ya! I spent a bit of time running one. Never got good at felling with it. Used it for cleaning up at the end of the job. Bunching up broken tops, dicing brush,etc. They are a very versatile machine.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Side loader

This is what my little 2 man crew runs every day.  If you are or want to be a big time logger then this is not the machine for you, but if a few loads (25+/- tons per load) per day is your speed then you can't beat it.  We've been running the sheer (or pincher ) head for the past several months and it is great in 1 st and 2nd southern yellow pine plantation thinning.  (very little skinning of residual trees).  We have moved to some bigger wood and are fixing to hook up the dangle head.  I just picked up another 30" bar and an extra chain for it this past week as we have moved into bigger wood. The super T has the deutz with a bar and/or sheer head The ultra c's that I've seen around here have the disk head with cummins power. They are very tough. I agree with old seabee they have got to be one of the least expensive feller bunchers to run.  My super T weighs around 13 or 14k #'s  so it's easy to move.  Sips fuel. It's and oldie but goodie IMHO.
Side loader log truck w/492 Detroit, bell super T feller buncher, Barko 160 with JD power, Kubota M4900 with brush raker grapple on front and shop built bunching grapple on back. JD 350B Dozer; JD 548D skidder;  and a couple of saws.

treefarmer87

i would like 1 on tracks with a dangle head. I saw 1 for sale on lbxonline that was on tracks and had a swing boom 
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Tentman

Hey - so how do they perform on real soft ground, and on slopes ??

rkultra

You can work surprisingly steep ground with one,30 to 35% grade. The trick is you have to fell down the hill,this puts all the weight on the drive tires and you can use the saw head to counter-balance the back end. When I worked mine on soft ground I used dual tires,24.5-32 on the inside and 18.4-34 on the outside,this way when I did work harder ground only the inside tires touched,reducing wear on the driveline. However, if I was looking to buy one now and the terrain that I was on was a mix of hilly ground and lowlands,I would go with a tracked one because you can fell up a steep hill with it. Also, tracks have less psi of ground pressure than a wheeled one,even with dual tires.
1993 Bell Super T,1989 John-Deere 548-D, Hahn 110B Short Wood Harvester,
Dolmar 7900, 7300,6100,5105

Tramp Bushler

How much do they cost for a used one with tires ??

thecfarm

Those bell were a big deal about 30 years ago in this area. I only have seen them with shears. They were really only used for a chipper operations around here.I went on a field trip with the grandson and that logging crew was using one a little bit on the stuff they wanted to chip.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

There's a couple around here for 15-20 k
Ed K

lumberjack48

I know a guy that was one on tires with the saw head. The wife hired him to cut a patch of clear cut Jack pine. It was about 170 cords, he cut in 4 short days.

It was fun to watch him run it, cut a tree an spin around on 2 tires an lay it down. He could make it dance.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer87

My friend has one he wants to sell in good shape for $6500. :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Tramp Bushler

Well if I had a spare 12 k I'de snap it up . TF do you have any pics of it .

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!