iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do when your Muffler dies

Started by just_sawing, April 25, 2012, 10:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

My LT70 muffler died and feel off the engine. I checked with TSC and a replacment will take 2 weeks. WM wanted $65 for one which I thought was alittle high. This is what I did. Everybody likes a a Cherry Bomb Glass Pack. I needed a Side Draft so I chopped the tail then 4inches for a bottom plate cut a 2 inch hole attached a coupler and welded.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  How do you spell ingenuity  ??? ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

When I swapped from the 13hp Honda to the 20hp Honda, the v-twin had two pipes that went into on giant California EPA muffler. The muffler wouldn't clear the frame when the saw head was raised all the way up so me and my brother fabricated a dual exhaust system out of threaded black pipe and screw on law mower mufflers. Had $30 in everything. It sounds like a Harley now  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

bandmiller2

I have always made my own small engine and tractor mufflers.Very cost effective especially if you can get heavy truck pipe scraps and odd pieces.You just don't want to restrict the exhaust.Just sawing you done good. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

davey duck

And it still looks like a cherry bomb!
David G.Fleming

Al_Smith

I'll tell ya what ,those "cherry bomb" design has been around since Shep was a  puppy .Loud but thay last almost forever .

bandmiller2

We called those cherry bombs glass packs as they are usally a straight pipe with holes and the larger case has fiberglass packed in to reduce the sharp exhaust to a throaty tone. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

You can get quit a discussion going about muffler designs .They all either use baffles to bounce the sound waves off each other to difuse the sound or absorb the sound in the case of a "glass pack " .

It might sound cool to run a piece of machinery with a straight exhaust but the novelty wears off pretty quickly having to listen that bellering SOB for hours at a time .The older you get the less impressive all that noise is .

west penn

I'll "ditto" the last post and go with the best muffler I can find. Very disheartening to have my Grandaughter talk to me and not be able to make out a word she is saying.  Do whatever you can to protect your hearing guys. You don't get a second chance!

boatman

I ran straight piped 6 and 8 and 12-71 Detroit's for a while.  I sure do appreciate a good muffler.

Al_Smith

It's very surprising my hearing is as good as what it is . 40 plus years of industrial noise plus running a D4 Cat for years with a straight pipe coupled with modified chainsaws should have done worse than it has .I feel very fortunate .

Tree Feller

The muffler on the used mill I bought was rusted out at the bottom and loud. The engine is a 13 hp Jiangdong...that's Chinese for Honda Clone, I think.   :D

Anyway, I ordered a muffler and heat shield from Honda. This morning I took the rusted one off and put the Honda muffler on...it match perfectly.

My hearing has deteriorated so much that it's become embarrassing when I try to talk to people. I have a set of very expensive hearing aids but I haven't been wearing them except for meetings at work. I think I will need to start wearing them full time soon.

west penn is right...protect your hearing while you have it. Hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

just_sawing

Working and retiring in an automotive lab I understand Noise well. The cherry Bomb design with the 90 degree turn in it with the pipe pointing up is actually quiter than the original.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Thank You Sponsors!