iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Essential (and other) TK 2000 mods.

Started by Ga Mtn Man, April 25, 2012, 08:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Finished up a couple of "must have" mods to the TK 2000 yesterday.  Also took the time this afternoon to adjust the saw head height so that all-the-way-down is precisely 1" from the bunks to the bottom of a down tooth.  Now to set "Home" all I have to do is drop the head all the way down and press the "SET HOME" button.
EDIT 08/14/13:  As it turns out it isn't a good idea to do the above.  The saw head slows down for the last 1/8" or so of down travel at the very bottom, which could adversely effect the error correction function in the setworks.

Home-made mounting plate for linear actuator bolted to the underside of the throttle linkage plate.  Note notch in flange to allow clearance for engine shroud.

2" stroke linear actuator modified to 1" stroke.  I actually shortened the LA by 1" which was a PITA.  An LA with adjustable limit switches wouldn't require any modification.

LA mounted on plate.

Connection to throttle linkage

Whole assembly mounted on engine.  Works very well.
EDIT (11/12/12):  You should put thread lock on all the screws of the LA.  I learned this the hard way.

DPDT non-momentary throttle switch.  Mounted it here so my hands wouldn't confuse it with another switch. . 

A Larry "horn-ectomy".

Allows the saw carriage to clear  the loader arms so they can be left up to hold slabs for edging.

And this one's my own idea.  A nylon bolt on both sides of the vertical roller guide strut thingy.  OK, it's not exactly an essential mod but metal rubbing on metal just rubs me the wrong way. :D

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice Pics Paul. Sounds and looks like your learning your way around your new mill.

It's a lot of fun isn't it?

Keep the pics coming! Take care.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Rain started threatening so I had to cover up the mill in a hurry.  Forgot to take pics of my stack of oak.  I was hoping no one would notice.  Should have known better.  :-\
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

There are a bunch of mill guys on here and a few of us WOOD guys  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

I would like to be both but I suspect becoming a wood guy will take much longer than becoming a mill guy.  One step at a time... I've already learned SO much from all you guys :).

Larry

I like your linear actuator for throttle control a lot better over the one I came up with.  Where did you get it?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Don't worry, you can't always take pictures.  I was sawing ERC yesterday which included a huge pile of "split rails" for fencing.  There is no time for pictures when you are sawing "hourly rate".  The customer might not like camera time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

vfauto

Here are some pics of my throttle modification.Also added a lubrication valve that activates with blade clutch.

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: vfauto on April 26, 2012, 10:48:39 AM
Here are some pics of my throttle modification.Also added a lubrication valve that activates with blade clutch.

Looks very familiar:

Ga Mtn Man

When I was trying out different mills, one of the features that I most liked on the WM mills (and Larry's TK2000) was the well designed two-plane clamp and it's ability to gently flip squared up cants.  So...

Went from 5.25" height to 11.75"

New extended mounting bracket and 12" stroke cylinder

While I had it out, I made some bronze-tipped set screws to take up the slop in clamp arm fit.  Works very well.

I'm done modding the mill (for now ;D).  Thanks to Larry for all your help.  My log arch should be finished by next weekend and I'll be able to start pulling some really nice logs up to the mill.

Larry

Wow, my clamp only goes up 11.5" :(  First guy ain't got a chance round this place.

Looks like a very professional mod Paul.  I think you will really like what the extra height will do for ya. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks, Larry.

In the full down position mine sits only about 3/16" below the bunks.  I don't know if that will cause me any problems but I do have about 3/8" worth of threads left I can screw into if I have to shorten it.

Ga Mtn Man

I finally got around to doing these "non-essential" but very convenient mods to my TK 2000.

Remote key switch and choke control located on operator console.  Having the key switch at hand means I can shut the engine off no matter where the saw carriage is and not have to chase it down to re-start the engine.  It's a very good thing. :)   

Solenoid mounted under throttle/choke linkage plate using nylon spacers.  My first attempt was to mount the solenoid on top of the plate and use the factory choke linkage.  It didn't work because the solenoid didn't have enough strength to over come the friction of the linkage. :( 

Arm cut from plastic wire spool mounted to choke "hub".  You'll notice that the factory choke linkage is missing.  I thought that it was going to be in the way but, as it turns out, it wasn't and I wish I had left the parts in place.

ladylake

Paul  Looks real good, what's on your list next? After 3 or so years you should have them all done.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

xlogger

Paul, you are making me feel bad I'm just now hooking up my LA. Going to get a threaded rod today with some supports  to put beside my LA to hold the throttle cable in place leaving the LA up to the engine. We've been working so many hours at work now I've not had much time to work on it. By the way I got my letter from county zoning yesterday saying I was allowed to run my mill for my personal use. This will hurt my plans on retirement for sure but also make my new neighbor mad when I get back to sawing :D. It's so hot I'm not in a rush to saw much now. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

levans

That's great that they sent you a letter, that way if he calls someone and they come to your mill/house all you have to do is show them the letter and send them on their way then keep on sawing look his way and smile and wave.

Larry

Looks professional to me.  I need to get busy and do that one.  It would save a lot of steps.

What kind of electric cable are you running back to the console?  I was wondering if it needs to be something special to take the constant flexing in the energy chain.

Here is a couple more of my mods.  I caught a bird trying to nest in the mill so...

Before

After

The top cover is a scrap of aluminum and the end cap is some kind of galvanized construction fitting I got at a flea market.

I'm sure this next one is not approved.  I saw alone most of the time.  Drag back my boards and stack while the mill is making the next cut.  Needed a way to lock the feed while I stack.  I'm sure I could have got a different type of hydraulic valve but I didn't want to make that kind of mod while the mill was still under warranty.  Came up with this feed lock.

Normal operation.

Feed locked.  A quick slap on the red handle unlocks it.

Ga Mtn Man

Wow Larry, I wish I had your fabrication skills.  That lever lock is a work of art.  I'm not sure I'm an experienced enough sawyer to add that feature (for now).  Those covers are a good idea and look easy to do.

I used trailer cable from Del City because of its durability and flexibility,  but it's not cheap.  There's a factory installed grey 4-conductor cable (goes to the adjustable guide motor) on my mill that looks like ordinary PVC jacketed cable.  Something like that might be less expensive.  Let me know when you get ready to do this mod and I'll email you a wiring diagram.  There are some tricks I figured out that allowed me to do it with fewer and smaller conductors. 

TimGA

Larry,
     I bought (2) 50 foot ext cords from home depot for hard wire to control LA and lube solenoid.  I felt it addressed the flex issue and was on sale for around 15.00 each. Around 100 hrs since installed no issues. Lot less expensive than wire off rack. If you run both cords at once be sure to identify. I used tape on each end of one.
     Just a side note, I put a remote control for throttle on at same time, for me it was a waste of time and money. Did not think it through, why would you throttle up if your not at the controls. Also remote control buttons to small to work w/ gloves.
      Hope this helps.       
                                              Tim     
         Paul nice job on mods.
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Ga Mtn Man

Now why didn't I think of that?  You're a genious, Tim. :)

Ga Mtn Man

On second thought, do you really want that much ORANGE on your TK?

TimGA

Paul, 
     I was not going to bring that issue up, but since you did I must admit I put on Tan colored ones. I wanted black but were not on sale. At twice the price Tan was just fine.
                    Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on June 30, 2012, 09:30:56 PM
On second thought, do you really want that much ORANGE on your TK?

After a while, most people paint their red mills ORANGE just in case the news media wants to do a story.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

den

Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Thank You Sponsors!