iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar for 056?

Started by woodbe, April 25, 2012, 06:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbe

What is the longest bar that you would put on a modified 056AV? It has no problem pulling a 32" sunk all the way in to a large white oak. I have a very large Doug fir to take down for a friend and he thinks it is hallow. I haven't looked in to whether it is or not. This saw is only used to fall trees at this point. I would like to get a bigger saw but for the rare times that it would be needed it just can't be justified yet
Woodbe

beenthere

How "large" is a "very large D. fir" ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Unless the tree is over 60" I'd be more comfortable taking it down with a 32" bar, and technically a 32" bar can take down a 90" tree (I didn't say easily)

If you did have to go bigger you could, using skip chain. Wont cut as fast of course, but with less cutters on the chain it can pull a longer length. Maybe 48"?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodbe

I would think that the tree is 60+ ". I figured that I would take some of the side off the tree just to make it 40" or so. This all is based on the tree being good all the way through. I have never cut anything this big. I am not all that worried as to having it fall the rite way we will have a cable on it to a block and back to a Cat. It should go without any fuss but I like to make sure of things. I would like to have a 42" bar on what ever saw I use. Baileys has a 42" combo for $120 something that seemed ok.

Woodbe

Ianab

If you are concerned about the middle being rotten I wouldn't be trimming off the "wings" any more than absolutely necessary.

If the middle is rotted out you are going to rely on that outside wood to form your hinge and control the fall direction, even with the cable to help.

Either way, get the cable set and take the slack out, no real tension though.

What I would do is start by cutting a normal notch, from both sides with the 32" bar. Now you can see inside and see what you actually have in there. There will be two possibilities.

Fist is that the inside is solid. This is good. You can trim a bit off the "wings", still have a 60" wide hinge. Then make cuts from both sides. Nothing is going to happen while you are cutting the first side. Tap some wedges to stop the tree setting back on your saw, and cut the second side. When you get up to the hinge, it will either start falling, or walk away and give the "start pulling" signal to the dozer driver.

OR - You will find the inside is punky. Difference is that now you don't need to take off the wings as your bar is going to reach through the good wood. Leave the "wings" as that's the only good hinge wood you have, and again make two back cuts and haul it over.

Don't worry too much if the cuts don't line up exactly. As long as they overlap the small amount of cross grain wood left will snap off easily.

Of course, be careful and stay safe.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodbe

Thank you for the help  Ianab. We will go at it when we get time and I will have some pic's for all of you. I looked back and see that mist the fact that the saw is a 056 mag II. I also have the ever important backup saw MS460 with a 32" on it. They came with 32" bars on them and that has worked out good for me so fare. Thanks again for the help.

Woodbe

woodbe

Quote from: beenthere on April 25, 2012, 06:24:23 PM
How "large" is a "very large D. fir" ?
I went out and had a good look at this tree and it is about 70" across :o. So in my book that is big. There isn't much butt swell / taper at the bottom and the tree is fairly straight so it looks like all should go well. Sorry there are no pic's yet.

Woodbe

woodbe

Here is a pic of the fir that I was talking about it is 70" across. The tree was struck by lightining and will die over time. The owner was out by my mill splitting fire wood at the time the tree was hit. The lightning chased around the tree debarking the top half. We will get it down in the next few weeks. The owner would like to have it laid down to the left in the pic and in a little ravine. I will get better pic for all of you.

Woodbe

Al_Smith

Lawdy it'll take a month of Sundays to cut the limbs off of that thing .

Ianab

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 28, 2012, 10:17:58 PM
Lawdy it'll take a month of Sundays to cut the limbs off of that thing .

:D

Yeah, getting the thing on the ground is only the start of the job   :D

Plenty of clean up work after that.

bandmiller2

Woodby,thats a big-un what are you going to do with the logs.?I've had spotty luck milling lightning struck trees they seem to delaminate [shake] then get insects and rot.Sooner its cut the better. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodbe

Frank the limbs are so big and low there are better Firs around for lumber. This one will make firewood for the moste part. There may be a small lean to in there for the owner of the property. He is getting tired of fighting tarps. I did the same thing last year.  The tree is too large to drag to the wood lot there will be a lot of cutting and splitting where it falls. It will be interesting.

Woodbe

woodbe

We got to the Fir this last week and I got a picture or so for you all. The tree came down without any trouble at all. Thanks for all of your help. The top of the tree was cracked were it got struck and had already started to turn black. ;D

Woodbe

Al_Smith

That's a biggun .Now what do you do with it ? Lawdy if you piled all the limbs ,once they're dry the flames would reach the moon if you torched off the slash all at once .

Clam77

If you know anyone that uses a wood-fired kiln, I'm told Spruce/Fir is the preferred choice for burning in it due to how hot it burns at the perfect rate.

Just an idea...

Nice job with the cut btw- that IS a big one..    8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

thecfarm

That made some noise when it hit the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Probabley about like a million bags of potato chips stepped on by a 40 ton elephant when the limbs buckled under .

lumberjack48

Nice tree, i would cut 16' or 8' logs and pull limbs and all to the wood lot, make a simple easy job out of it. Theres a lot of firewood in the big limbs, i would cut down to 2, 3"s.

"
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

woodbe

If it would ever quit raining here I will get out and take off the limbs and get a good picture of the tree. There was some other trees that got in the way but most were brush anyway. That big old thing has crakes all over the butt of the log and broke in 2 when it hit the down. This whole wood lot was left when the land was logged a long time ago. Now this one will be fire wood. It is just too big to move off the hill side in long logs without messing up something.

Woodbe

Tramp Bushler

A 56 Mag II is 98 ccs as I recall . They were the standard bushlin saw by which all others were judged for almost 10 years in Coastal Alaska B.C. and the PNW . They will pull a 42" bar very well but are a little shy on oiling the chain . A 36" was always the standard bar for them .
The single biggest problem with them is they were under filtered . Make sure you take the filter apart to clean it . !!! I've had 3 056 s and 1 045 Super Madsen Hot Rod .
The first bushlin saw I bought new was an 056 Super . I've run dozens of other 56 s . For day in day out bushlin , the only thing that beat it was the 2100 Husky .
Again , a 36" bar is perfect on a 56 .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Thank You Sponsors!