iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yet another newbie

Started by akchrish, April 25, 2012, 02:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akchrish

Greetings all,

Much to my delight I just discovered this forum yesterday and have done little else but pore over thread after thread since.

So, I thought I would join the discussion and give a little background on why I am here.

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska and am in the early stages (or throes perhaps) of planning my first TF project. I have dreamed of it for some time and in 2004 helped my sister and her partner put up a post and beam (no joinery). I was headed that direction but have chosen to do it right instead. My intention is to chainsaw mill what I can for the frame (hopefully all of it but the first floor deck which I plan to stick frame infill timber sills) out of the white spruce trees that I fell last spring on the property.

I hope to start working with sketchup soon and get the plans posted for comment. I also plan to do a few small projects first including some of those awesome saw mares and colts that Rooster posted as well as a gin pole based on the plans that I got from Jim. Then a small woodshed and finally the house.

So with that I will say hello to all and that I look forward to lively future discussions!

Chris

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

dukndog

Welcome to the FF Chris!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

AMB30518

Welcome Chris
I'm a newbie to FF membership also but have been reading here for a couple of years. Sounds like we have a lot in common to start with something to do our work on. I think you will like Roosters mare & colt system.

Yes, we can learn many lessons here from the gracious experienced guys that share with us.

Enjoy your stay.....
Aaron
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

Rooster

Chris,

Welcome to the family!!!  And thanks for the "plug"!

Rooster
P.S.  Thanks to Aaron also for his support.
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

jander3

Welcome Chris,

Enjoy your project.  Post photos.

jamesamd

Welcome Chris!!
Thanks to Your search,You have found,the best forum in cybrespace.:D
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

mmhailey

Welcome Chris from another Alaskan..... 8)

If you possibly can, I would recommend a trip south to attend a Timber Framing class. I went to one a few years ago in TN., and it helped me a lot.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, akchrish.  We have another member Warbird that lives in Fairbanks.  I have visited Fairbanks, but that was a few years ago.

Keep us posted on your progress with your buildings.  I urge you to ask questions, offer suggestions, and pictures are welcome.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

akchrish

Thanks everyone. I will make sure to get some pictures as I go...and I will certainly ask lots of questions.

By the way, anyone have experience using a Beam Machine or Granberg MiniMill?

c

AMB30518

I have used the Alaskin mill and Mini Mill. I have many pics but just a few in my gallery of the Mini Mill.
Have a look and you will see that I went from a wood 2x6 to an aluminum 2x6 guide.
Let me know if you have questions.
Aaron
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

Brad_bb

Welcome!  Newbies are welcome here and we like to steer them down the good path and save as much headaches as possible with our experience. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!