iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to making money with a small circle mill

Started by yooperdirt, April 25, 2012, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yooperdirt

Hi!

I am looking for some creative products to produce with my circle mill.  There are large mills in my area so competing with them is out of the question.  Any idea on nich markets I should look for? Ties, denim pine, trailer boards, saw dust, blocking, etc?

I would like to hear what people are doing.

snowshoveler

Right now I am sawing out little building packages.
Woodshed and toolshed.
I have got 2 to do and while I won't make it rich I should have a little pocket money plus expenses.
So far these 2 customers (friends actually) are happy with the lumber.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

thurlow

Fellow a couple of miles down the road from me usta be in a family (he was a son in a father/2 son shop) machine shop;  when most of the manufacturing jobs left the area a few years ago, he bought a mill and appears to be doing all right.  He saws mostly ties and pallet lumber with one employee.  He logs his own trees......usually from small tracts that the big boys won't touch.  His mill is a higher end band mill, but I don't know why it wouldn't work with a circle mill.  He's got a one-ton pickup and a gooseneck;  has to haul the ties about 40 miles;  not sure where the pallet lumber goes.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Ron Wenrich

Depends on how much value added you want to put into your product.  It also depends on what species you have in the area.  Hard to do much in a niche market without the proper ingredients.  You also should take note of what needs there are in your area.

Being that you're in yooper country, maybe ice fishing shacks are a way to go.  I couldn't sell a single one of those.  In some areas, fencing supplies can be a big staple.  You have to do the market research. 

But, you will also want some steady markets.  Ties and pallets are a good place for low grade material.  You might be able to compete with the big boys better than you think. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Joe Lallande

When I first set my Belsaw up in Alpena, I cut my own wood for our new home in the UP of Michigan.  I told my friends about my old sawmill that I had rebuilt. After a short time people starting hauling logs to me.  Every load was different.  Some wanted 2x boards, beams and others wanted board and batten material.  One friend had a clear red oak 16" x 10' that he wanted cut for bar tops. Get the word out that you will cut anything and watch what happens. Avoid buying logs for resale.  Look around for free logs at construction sites, back yards or logging sites. I would price the job on how long it took me and not on bf. I now have moved the mill to Chassell Michigan and I plan to do the same once our house is finished.  Good luck.

One more thing to consider.  Is this mill a hobby or do you really want to make a decent income with it's operation?  My hobby mill sits for a long time with no logs to cut only because I have other tings to do.  A mill used for an income must also have a business plan attached to it and don't forget the IRS if you plan to include that truck and trailer and the mills true operating costs. 

yooperdirt

Thanks...those are some good ideas!  The ice shack idea was creative!  I think I will make one for myself.  Sounds like you just need to stick your neck out there and let the market tell you what to cut.

Steamenginesmitty

A circular mill produces interesting curved marks in the boards from the teeth that the folks with the band mills can't produce.  I would market the "curved saw tooth marks just like the wood your Grandparents had"; I would write an add that was so creative that if someone was restoring an old building, or anything old for that matter that they would want to drive many miles just to purchase my wood just because it is not like everyone else's "band mill" wood. ;D

tyb525

Although, I've seen very old roughcut lumber cut on a bandmill, they had them way back in the day, except they were usually vertical bandmill monstrosities, with blades somewhere around a foot wide! And even before the circle mills were reciprocating mills, which also look similar to bandmill lumber. I think any roughsawn lumber would sell well to people wanting roughsawn lumber ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

steamsawyer

I think what smitty is saying is. At the begining of the last century when Grandpa set the sawmill up out on the farm to cut the lumber for the old homestead, barn, and outbuildings. He had a sawmill with a round blade.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Axe Handle Hound

The circle saw marks are worth considering.  I actually have a band mill, but will still take logs over to my neighbor's circle mill because I want the circle marks in my woodworking projects, flooring, paneling, etc. 

Thank You Sponsors!