iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Couple of pictures from Northern CA

Started by ashes, April 23, 2012, 05:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashes

Went out to do some plot sampling at Prarie Creek this weekend and had a moment to take a couple pictures at the end of the day. Beautiful weather to work in.
We got big trees here ;D

ANd some of this

pictures prolly don't do them justice

This scar was about as tall as I am 6'4" and wider than me for sure. On doug-fir

....and one for the road

And hello all.

ashes

not sure why the pics didn't post. What format works here?

Tramp Bushler

You have to upload your pics to Forestry Forum . Create your own album .  I did it . You can .  I did it from my Android so I had to upload singlely . But it went pretty fast . Then copy + paste from your album .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Ianab

Full instructions for setting up your gallery and posting pics are here.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56957.0.html

This places the pictures on the Forestry Forum server so they don't get deleted or moved in the future, resulting in the dreaded red Xs.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ashes

WDH

Wow!  Ashes, those trees are not ashes for sure  :D.  Thanks for posting those magnificent pics!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Yup, those are some pretty impressive trees alright.  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dustin707

Humboldt County? Nice man. Your just 3hrs north of me. I drive up 101 to Crescent City all the time. Gma lives off Fields Landing in Eureka  :)

ashes

^^Yeah you don't have it too bad in Mendo either. Good to hear from a fellow Northern CA on here.

thecfarm

ashes,welcome to the forum.What is plot sampling?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ashes

In this particular case we were helping a guy with his reseach on biomass. Redwoods don't decay quickly so it results it forests that have large carbon storage. I believe the greatest carbon amounts/acre in the world are found in old growth redwood right around here.

What we were doing was similar to a cruise, but not only were we measuring standing trees, and mapping the area. We also were taking measurements on %cover of all species of vascular plants. We measured shrubs, well if it was there we measured it in some way. This is just a small part of a large research project.

Plot sampling is one method of sampling. with an angle guage or "variable" plot sampling, you measure from a plot center, but are not confined to a "fixed" plot. Fixed plots would have a predetermined area that you take data from within.

RynSmith

Hi ashes, I'm curious how you measured the understory - fixed radius?

ashes

plot centers were already established so we arrived layed three transect lines at 120 degree angles. For %cover we worked off of the transects using 1sq meter plastic hula hoops at every 3 meters charting species and percent cover occupied in that space. For shrubs we also worked off the transects measuring diameter at root collar and canopy dimentions. It was mostly red and evergreen huckleberry as shrubs, and salal, oxalis, and ferns for %canopy cover.

I could be wrong, but the guy that we were working with has done a ton of research on this and applies this information to models he has created with more intensive sampling.

Ianab

I think you have a very similar climate there to parts of NZ. Many of your trees thrive here as well (as imported exotics) Radiata Pine and Douglas fir account for most of the NZ timber industry.

This is a plantation of Redwoods at Rotorua. They don't usually grow this well, it's just the micro-climate in that area seems to suit them really well.

Looks a lot like your forest? Those trees are only a bit over 100 years old though.

Ian

ashes

Yes Ian, that is very similar to what forests here look like. Most of these forests have been cut so typical age is around 150 years. The forest the my pictures were taken in was old growth, but redwood gets huge fast. I was reading something about them reaching height potential by around 200 years, because after that they tend to break off up high. They do continue to put on girth. Depending on how the land is managed you can have 150 year old stem exclusion or with thinning you can see understory reinitiation. In the old growth you are looking at trees that are 2000+ years old that have followed succession naturally

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

Ian,

I visited those those redwoods if they are the ones at the Research Center.  Very impressive!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Quote from: WDH on April 24, 2012, 09:22:14 PM
Ian,

I visited those those redwoods if they are the ones at the Research Center.  Very impressive!

Yes, those are the ones.

There are others small stands and single trees around the country, but those are the biggest and most impressive ones.

Ian

ashes

Well we were back at it today.

and the tags were high...

and the burls are interesting.

Thank You Sponsors!