iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I had the Peterson zinging yesterday!

Started by Qweaver, April 22, 2012, 09:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I sawed a 38" dia red oak on the Peterson yesterday.  I'm finally spending more time sawing and less time trying to figure out how to make the next cut.  :D  I was able to saw almost the whole log as quartersawn.  What beautiful, knot free lumber it made.  Very little waste also...except the saw kerf loss is 1/4".  It makes for a lot of sawdust.  I mainly  made full 1"x 8" boards.  The log was only 8'6" so I just made 1"...no beams or 2". 
This is where this saw really shines.  I was making one pass 8" deep cuts, both vert & horz,  all the way thru this log with no problems.
I'm still having problems keeping the tires on the rims of the jocky wheels that Peterson supplies.  I finally went to Tractor Supply and bought some steel wheels that should solve the problem.  Are you listening Peterson?  ::)  Is anyone else having problems with these plastic wheels?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

terrifictimbersllc

I'm just grateful that when mine blew it wasn't in the back seat of my truck while I was driving.  :o :o :o

p.s. the swing mill isn't so portable when the jockey wheel is flat. ;)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

Quinton, one thing to keep in mind when quartersawing oak is that it shrinks more in thickness when drying, versus flat sawn lumber.

An 8" wide board milled at 1" green will not always make a 3/4" board when dried and S2S'd.  Better to mill at 1-1/8" - 1/3/16" if you want to net out at 3/4 S2S after drying.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!