iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The strangest thing I have ever found in the woods

Started by JDeere, April 22, 2012, 11:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDeere

About 2 years ago I cleared a new house site and sent the saw logs and most of the pulp to the mill. However, I would cut a few pickup loads of good maple and cherry for firewood and take them home. At home I cut the wood into 16" pieces and ultimately used it for my wood boiler. One day I picked up a piece of cherry to put in the boiler and noticed a cavity in the end of the wood with something inside. After probing and taking a close look with a light it clearly appeared to be a spinal column of something up inside the log. I had a number of other people look at it before I offered my opinion of what it was and they all came to the same conclusion. I have attached some photos and would love to hear how you think this could have occurred. The wood has been taken to St.Lawrence University in NY to Biology/Anthropology Department for further study. Have any of you ever seen such a thing? From one of the photos you can see it was probably two trees that grew together.

2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Riggs

I can't wait to hear the responses on this...That is really strange
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

beenthere

Guess it depends on what the bone was from...human or animal, and what size animal.

Somthing over the years could have been caught in a crotch and died there. Leaving behind a spine bone to grow into the crotch and be entombed.

Age of the tree when the bone was left there would be helpful. Now if it turns out to be a mastadon bone, then that would be unusual for sure for sure. ;)

Do you know what the bone is, and we are trying to guess?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodtroll

We have squirrel moving bones into their caches all the time. They chew the bone for calcium.
Not to say thats what happen here.

chevytaHOE5674

I've seen where bobcats, cougars, and even Eagles and hawks have taken some pretty large prey up into trees.

colinofthewoods

Okrafarmer

People. In all the excitement, you are missing the obvious.

There is no other explanation than this:

In these dire times, when nobody will stand up for what is right, this tree is trying to tell us something. It says, "See, even I can grow a spine. When, America, will you dare to stand up for what's right?"
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

grassfed

It was probably left in the tree by a Fisher. They take there kills up into trees to store/eat.
Mike

JDeere

At this point I don't have any idea what it is from. If anyone has ever seen this before I would like to hear about it. I can see about 9" of the column before it is totally enclosed in the tree. I don't know how long it was originally as the end in the photo is where I cut it with a saw either on the site or at home producing my firewood. As I said, I never noticed it until I was ready to throw it in the boiler. I am in hopes that St.Lawrence University will be able to tell me what it is.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

beenthere

Aha, that much of the spinal column.  They should be able to identify the species pretty close then.

And an unknown still is how far off the ground this wood piece was in the tree. Could have been close to the ground as two years since being removed.

Interesting artifact. Likely not an everyday occurence.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Now you know for some reason people panic when a cat climbs up in a tree and is too stupid to climb down.Lawdy they call the human society ,the fire department or a tree trimmer to rescue the thing .

All along I've never heard of a trimmer finding cat bones  in a tree but this might be a first .Alas poor Tabby I knew him well .

Red Pill

I don't know how it got there, but I can tell you that it's probably more fun than finding a dessicated rat or squirrel in an electrical box.

leeroyjd

I once found a deceased Red Tailed Hawk that had its claw stuck in a hole high up in a White Oak tree I had felled.
Dead mice in windshield wiper motor box in forwarder.

woodtroll

Once found a hawk crushed under a fallen snag. Who ever heard of a bird getting hit by a falling tree?

Okrafarmer

Once I found a--   ::)   ::) :-[   What was it I found, anyhow????  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Oh yeah, that's right. I cut right through a rock in the middle of the tree with my saw. The rock was over an inch in diameter. It was an elm tree. Rock elm?  ???  Closer inspection showed that it was a double tree and the rock had evidently got somehow placed between the two trunks when they were much younger.

Texas Ranger

While on a fire crew, found two bodies of folks that hadn't been there long.  This over a period of several years.  One had died fighting the fire, heart attack, and the other a suicide.  I think I told that story here some time back.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

clww

That spinal column is something else! I've come across some weird stuff a tree has grown around, but never bones. One of the larger, standing dead trees I cut down last year on our mountain top was a nesting tree at some earlier day for some type of predatory birds. We found skulls for a beaver, mice, and other critters once it was on the ground.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

pigpen60

so did we ever find out what the bones were from?

luvmexfood

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

timberlinetree

A ratcoon will climb a tree and die. When I found one I was a little confused but now I know. I found a marvel about 40' up in a croch while climbing a tree doing power line work! X2 okraframer and I have been thru the same thing Texas ranger. When kids finding bones in the pastures we thought we found dinosaur bones. Thought we would be rich. Turned out to be cow bones.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!