iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sardines

Started by Dan_Shade, April 22, 2012, 10:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'm not much of a cook, if I can't use a skillet, I normally don't do it.  I cook bacon, eggs, and potatoes.  If I'm lucky, i have an onion and bell pepper to add to the mix.  So with this knowledge, i baseline my culinary skills.

When I was a kid, I'd eat sardines with my grandfather, and i'm not sure if I liked them, or the fact that eating them grossed everybody else out.

flash forward to the past several years, I'd buy a can of "fish steaks" thinking what's the difference, but today, I spied "brisling sardines" in the store, so I bought a few cans.

This is good stuff!  i ate one tin, and want to eat the other!

Sardines and crackers.  I wish my grandfather were still here so I could enjoy some with him.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I like them too, probably because my Dad would eat them when he took me fishing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Danny
Fishin so bad he ate da bait?? ??
;D

I like those sardines on crackers too.  Makin me hungry for some right now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riggs

I love 'em, good way to clear the breakroom at my work too  ;D
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

WDH

BT,

Sometimes the fish we were catching in the creek were not as big as the sardines!

They are good, too, with a little mustard on them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

For some reason my sardine eating was always associated with having a good time somewhere, either fishing or hunting.  It would be kinda hard for me to separate sardines too far from Vienna sausage.

PatD and I had walked 3 miles from our base camp to a favored elk hunting spot and spied a discarded Kippered Snack tin.  That was a first for us because neither of us knew what it was.  Several days later we both started laughing in a grocery store.  There on the shelf was Kippered Snacks.  We bought a couple of cans, and they were good.  (It disgusts me to find where careless folks leave trash in the outdoors, work sites, or anywhere.)   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I was born and raised Catholic. Dad had his own pork and beef butchered, so the only time I ever got to eat fish was if we caught it, or during Lent. Maybe eating fish was supposed to be some sort of penance; to me, it was a real treat. We always had sardines during Lent. At that time there were the ones in mustard, and the ones in tomato sauce. Now I occasionally get a few cans of the ones in hot sauce.

Norm

We used to eat sardine sandwiches as kids, mostly to gross out my sisters.  :D

Texas Ranger

Sardines, crackers, Vienna sausage, pork and beans, and canned tomato juice were iron rations in college, particularly on field trips.

My wife does not like me eating sardines in the house, so, it is still a "field" item.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

My favorite sardine story..Wedding, open can of sardines under the seat of the grooms car... That was many years ago and they still laugh about it.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thurlow

Quote from: pineywoods on April 23, 2012, 10:47:37 AM
My favorite sardine story..Wedding, open can of sardines under the seat of the grooms car... That was many years ago and they still laugh about it.. ;D

There was another thread about this a few years ago;  fellow of my acquaintance got married back in the '50s;  a couple of his 'friends' dumped a couple of cans of sardines on the manifold of his car;  the happy couple left for their honeymoon and drove for a long time before either worked up the nerve to ask about the smell..................each thinking perhaps it was their new spouse.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've got Sardines in my Fireplow unit dating back to 1988. I'm scared to eat them now.
I'll probably open them up one day and they'll look like someone I know.....like Willie Nelson.  :D

I'll just list them on Ebay!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

My best friend got married a few weeks ago and the wives of a few of the groomsmen felt obliged to decorate the newlyweds home a little while we were all busy with pictures.  The first thing the newlyweds found upon returning home were 2 empty sardine cans on the counter with a note that said "hide and seek, guess where we are" above them with a little arrow pointing to the empty cans  ;D.  I love sardines, oysters, smoked oysters, heck even mountain oysters, so I just couldn't believe it when the gals said they actually fed the sardines to Jingle the dog instead of getting out the saltines and eating them.  ::)

beenthere

So then Jingles the dog leaves them "jingled" all around the house.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kansas

Ah, mountain oysters. We used to have mountain oyster feeds and have catfish frys at the same time. Back in the day, just out of high school. Invariably, there would be some girl there that we would convince she was eating catfish strips and not mountain oysters. Then someone would tell her the truth. It has been rumored I was the instigator of some of these incidents.

Might surprise you to learn I got slapped a time or two, or more. Some of em could swing pretty darned hard.

SwampDonkey

A yes sardines. I consider them a delicacy myself. And still only a buck a can. ;D 8)

The brand up here is Connors Bros. (Brunswick). Remember the TV show Northern Exposure? Well cans of Connors Bros. sardines could be seen in their store in many episodes. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2012, 08:31:08 AM
For some reason my sardine eating was always associated with having a good time somewhere, either fishing or hunting.  It would be kinda hard for me to separate sardines too far from Vienna sausage.

PatD and I had walked 3 miles from our base camp to a favored elk hunting spot and spied a discarded Kippered Snack tin.  That was a first for us because neither of us knew what it was.  Several days later we both started laughing in a grocery store.  There on the shelf was Kippered Snacks.  We bought a couple of cans, and they were good.  (It disgusts me to find where careless folks leave trash in the outdoors, work sites, or anywhere.)   :-\

It's a good chance they were canned in my area Yarmouth Nova Scotia. My BIL owns the factory now.

Look under products and private label to see which one you had.

http://imofoods.com/

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Kippered herring was an appetizer in Sweden.

DR_Buck

I like them in mustard sauce.  :)   

I used keep a few tins in my locker on the ship when I was on sea duty.  I'd break them out on the mid-watch when the sea was a little rough and the new Jr officers were on watch.  Nothing like a couple sardines between ritz crackers to send them out to hang over the rails.  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

pigman

I like em because they are "packed like sardines" in the little flat can.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Bob,

Somehow, that makes sense  :).

sandhills

Quote from: beenthere on April 23, 2012, 05:48:21 PM
So then Jingles the dog leaves them "jingled" all around the house.  ::) ::)
No, beenthere, unfortunately Jingle is not allowed in the house.  However, had I been there instead of getting my mug shot fifteen times he may very well have been a house dog for a day at least  ;D.

WDH

My friends and I have an annual Spring camping and trout fishing trip in the North Georgia Mountains.  When I go trout fishing, I always carry some sardines for lunch.  It is a tradition.  So even if I don't catch any trout, I have my fish  :).

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Kansas on April 23, 2012, 05:58:03 PM
Ah, mountain oysters. We used to have mountain oyster feeds and have catfish frys at the same time. Back in the day, just out of high school. Invariably, there would be some girl there that we would convince she was eating catfish strips and not mountain oysters. Then someone would tell her the truth. It has been rumored I was the instigator of some of these incidents.

Here, we refer to mountain oysters a little bit different.   :D   
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Thank You Sponsors!