iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

330 TIMBERJACK SKIDDER

Started by pigpen, April 22, 2012, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigpen

Hello everyone, was wondering if anyone knows how much a 1973 tj330 cable skidder weighs, looking at buying one... are they a fairly good set up? Its got a 353 detroit in it and a automatic of some sort, thats about all I know about it at this time, going to look at it on wednesday.

Tramp Bushler

I believe they are 16,000 lbs . Mine is a 330GP . IT has a 353 in it . I believe it is the same as a 230 execpt with an automatic tranny and you can get on and off the machine from either side . Where are u located ?
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Tramp Bushler

[img width=176 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/j464/gumboot4581/090200_220700-1.jpg[/img].
This is mine . Its in Haines .

Tramp Bushler

deerguy

Hey Pigpen,
I read your post about the 330. I have 1 as well, and she just came out of the garage after a winter overhaul. tested it yesterday, and its running great. Mine has lots of power, both to the driveline's and the winch. My 353 now runs like a champ after freeing up the govenor.
The main thing I would look for is the tranny. on mine, the charge pump was shot, so the machine would only move every other start-up. It also reduced power ( my opinion ).
I have a complete DD engine manual, and I also have the complete parts manual for the 330 if you need them. I've never been able to find the Service manual, but 1 more rebuild and I wont need it !!!
Any questions etc let me know....
I'll post my pic's as soon as my daughter shows me how !

Deerguy !!
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

deerguy

Pigpen,

I finally got my daughter to upload some pic's. Unfortunately, most of them are taken after we were assembling the unit, as our hands were too dirty to be handling the wife's good camera !!!! We installed new starter, charge pump on the Allison tranny, re-built all the drive lines, changed hanger bearings, re-built the govenor and serviced the entire unit. My old diesel mechanic buddy gave the 3-53 the once over and gave it a clean bill of health.

As you can see below, I cant take any of the credit for the paint job. That was my sweetheart !!!!

Things are finally starting to take shape in this photo !!

I've skipped thru the album straight to the end !!!

Finally grabbed some spruce for a test ride !!!!

Thanks for the chance to show off my new toy. If you need any help or want to see the manuals I have, let me know!! I was seriously wishing I had bought a 200 series unit with a standard tranny, but now that the 330 is up and running, I can see the advantages to the bigger unit.

Deerguy !!
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

thecfarm

Nice. Glad I have tinted glasses.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tramp Bushler

Deerguy . That is awesome . Even tho the serial# on mine is 27,000 , I was beginning to despair that mine was the only 330 ever made .
I could find loads of 225s and 230s . But no 330s anywhere online . Yours is the first complete 330 I've seen . Does yours have 18.4x 34 tires ??

lumberjack48

Nice job on the skidder  deerguy, theres a 330 up in Northern Mn, 353, Allison ready to pull wood.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Tramp Bushler

. What kind of $$$ are they asking for it ? For me any iron from down south I would have to add $6,000. To the price . Thats what it costs to get it here .

smwwoody

Tramp,

I still have some good connections at Boyer and might be able to help you out if you need it.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

lumberjack48

Quote from: Tramp Bushler on April 24, 2012, 11:00:52 PM
. What kind of $$$ are they asking for it ? For me any iron from down south I would have to add $6,000. To the price . Thats what it costs to get it here .

craigsl, Bemidji
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Tramp Bushler

Woody , wow . That is good to know . I wish Boyer towed Seattle to Valdez . That is the closest port to me . Just getting my skidder from Haines to the Copper Basin is 4 k $ on truck . On barge its around 3k$ and it has to go to Sitka on AML then switch to Samson to make the run to Valdez .

pigpen

Well, went and looked at the 330, not sure if that's the right buy or not,  but on the way found a c5 tree farmer. thinking on looking into that one first. It also has a 353 in it and decent tires.  Any thoughts on tree farmers? I was told that they are a lot easier to work on and get parts for... we will see what happens I guess. I am located in North West Wi so the tree farmer is a LOT closer shipping wise. Deerguy, your 330 looks awesome! going to have to cut all the brush now so you don't scratch it! lol

Tramp Bushler

No idea on Tree Farmers  . Any pics of either one . ??

lumberjack48

C5 D Treefarmer  3-53 , stick shift is only skidder i'd buy. It was to be a C5-D, you don't want the pulpwood Special.

So many guys bought these, the only thing thats C5 is the motor and winch, the rest of the machine is C4.

Tramp Bushler

For those of us that don't know ,( me) ???
What is the difference .

lumberjack48

A C5 pulpwood special has the C4 running gear, in other words its a C4 with a C5, winch, and motor.
C4  has 8 bolt planetary, C5D has 12 bolt planetary, this is one easy way to tell the difference.

C4 is a good skidder, i put a few years on one. Its when you put the 3-53 on the light running gear it doesn't hold up.

Tramp Bushler

Ok . With as big as skidders have gotten now a days , the 3-53 doesn't seem a big engine . But I guess in some ways it is .
One thing I learned this year when spring came is bare ground can create alot more stress on the drive ??? system than snow and ice . I'm pretty careful about running up onto rocks, logs , stumps with my machines .

Has me pondering the advantages / disadvantages of super high traction tire chains on a skidder . ??????????.  ???

A C5 pulpwood Special sounds like a nice light machine tho .

lumberjack48

I ran chains year round, advantage, you get around easy when empty. When loaded you go to the landing, with out spinning, jerking and winching. But most guys want to over load, i don't understand their not happy on less their breaking stuff.
Disadvantage, none, when used right

I owned a pulpwood S, if i was going to pull firewood or a hobby logger it would be all right. If i was going logging, i would want a C5D, i owned and worked these ole Treefarms many yrs.

treefarm87's got a good one, C6, 4-53, stick shift, there pretty hard to find with a standard tran.

pigpen

Thanks for all the info everyone! Sure is nice to have people that know a lot more than me on the older equipment...  I will have pics as soon as I buy it (if I buy it) seems like a pretty solid skidder if you ask me, I'm used to logging with more modern equipment, but really enjoy logging on my own by hand. Used to run a Timbco 425exl for years and the prior models to that too. Started in '98. Had a pretty major storm roll through my home town in July of last year and there is tons to log if you want the smaller parcels that the big guys don't wanna monkey with, you know.  I'm sure I'll come up with more Q's in the future, am going to look at it again this coming week, the owner called this am and said he had the winch u-joint back in and ready for a test on the winch, the one thing I do know is that I have to fix is a brake line is what the owner says. It doesn't look that difficult to me. Any comments? ::)

sandhills

Quote from: Tramp Bushler on April 22, 2012, 10:27:04 PM
[img width=176 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/j464/gumboot4581/090200_220700-1.jpg[/img].
This is mine . Its in Haines .
Not to get completely off subject here but are you from Haines Tramp Bushler?  Just asking because I have family there and spent a few weeks there years ago.

Tramp Bushler

No not from there . All the rest of Southeast but not Haines .
But Haines is wierd for Skidders . I think there are as many wheel skidders in Haines as the whole rest of Alaska combined . Maybe not but close .
Where do your relatives live , in town or out the road ??

sandhills

Sorry lost track, my cousin used to run the Fort Seward bed and breakfast but sold it.  I'm not sure where they moved to but it's probably still in town.  Doesn't matter either way it's still some of the prettiest country I've ever seen.

Tramp Bushler

Ya , I know where it is . Ya Haines is pretty country .awefull lot of liberals thete now . And the mill is gone ..

Thank You Sponsors!