iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a sawmill shed

Started by levans, April 22, 2012, 09:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levans

After many years of being put off I finally started a shed for my LT40. The plan was to use three 2x10s with 5/8" plywood in between. As we were getting started my buddy says, why not just go out to the woods and cut a tree long enough to span the whole thing. Off we go and cut a 32 foot long log 10" on the small end and 14" on the large end, after getting it back we debarked it and used a power planer to flatten one side, this so we can put a 2x4 on top so every joist doesn't have to be fit to the log on the bottom we cut a flat place five feet in so I would have a 22 foot clear span.  I took some pictures as it's gone up.

markd

now that looks beefy, post more as you proceed. Markd
markd

mrcaptainbob

That beam at the end is only as strong as that minimum thickness. IMO too much was cut away. Maybe only as much as what was cut at the other supporting columns.....

5quarter

Looks to me that the powerline poles bear the bulk of the load, not the corner posts. your design should work well. can hardly wait to see it all up. 8) nice work.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Woodchuck53

Good start there. Just curious why you didn't flatten the top with the mill like MM did when he made his long splices.
Will watch your project with interest. Stay safe, Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

levans

My thoughts on the notching of the beam were that the notch is only bearing the weight of the beam from the notch back to the phone pole which is five feet, the phone poles then bear the weight between them which is 22 feet. in order to avoid any settling of the post we dug the holes down to solid rock, any where from 30 inches to 36 inches. I'm thinking that should hold the sucker up!

I did think about using the mill to flatten the log but because my mill is in front of the barn right now I would have had to move it and was just to lazy to do that.

jander3

That beam, she will be alright!

Might want to do something to feather that notch back.  With a 90 degree at the end, the log will check right at the 90 back towards the center of the building.  If you cut a 45 or a easy curve instead of the 90 checking wil be more normal.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Levans.....when I need a photographer, I'm calling you. Great pictures that REALLY cover your work.

Good job....that shed will be there for years!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

levans

OK, so it took a bit longer than I thought but I did get some roof joist on today, I didn't saw to a pattern on this job, I just sawed up the pile of logs that was in front of the mill. I sawed to get all I could from the logs, 2x10s 2x6s etc. by doing that I managed to short myself on 2x6s for the roof.
But luckily I have another load of logs on the deck. Now it's just a matter of getting time, She Who Rules has given me my mission for the rest of the week, go here go there get this buy that, company coming for the weekend.
All have a good one.
levans

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Levans......Man, your shed is looking GREAT. It's a good feeling to take a tree and watch it turn into a dream.

Good job, and keep the pics coming!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

markd

I really like your log look! Markd
markd

lyle niemi

which came first, the kitten or the chicken??

lyle niemi

Looks real good, Im wishin I had mine under a shed right now. Things are very wet up here right now

markd

Don't worry Lyle, you'll get it covered, I wished the same thing for about 4 yrs til I finally got it cover now it seems like it was always covered.Markd
markd

levans

I wish I could say I just decided it was Time to build the shed and jumped right in to get it done but it wasn't like that.We sold off our mature oaks because something is killing them anyway, some pines had to come down to get to some of the oaks, our logger pulled them out cut them to length and loaded them on my trailer.
No more putting it off, I had a sawmill and logs needing sawed and no more excuses!
The first project was a nice clean dry house for the pigs and then MY mill shed.

Good day all   

levans

Lyle, that one slipped in on Me, That's Ninja Hen she decided momma kitty needed a nanny.

beenthere

levans
Where are you located?

Maybe update your profile with some bio, so general area in the world can be id'd.  Thanks. :)

Also, am curious what the roof rafters are sitting on in the back of the mill shed. Looks like a 2x10 or 2x12.  Bolted to the posts?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

levans

beenthere,

I'm in east TN, thanks about the profile I hadn't thought about.
The rear of the joist are supported by 2x10s I cut on the mill, I sawed them 1 1/2" by 10"

levans

Ok, so it took awhile but I finished the lath on the mill shed today, if that silly work,life, pay the bills thing would just stop getting in the way this thing would go soo much faster. If I order the metal on Tue I'll get it on Thur. Now it's time to start sawing the rafters for the other half of the shed for lumber storage.

good weekend all,

levans

Woodey

You will enjoy the cover. Nothing like sawing on a hot sunny day under a cover area with a fan blowing.

When I built my sawmill cover I did not allow an area for stacking lumber. It is time to expand.

Good Progress! Keep posting Pic.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

levans

Thanks Woodey,
about July I'll be wondering if I can find a fan somewhere in the six to eight foot size range, maybe a prop from one of the old B2 bombers hooked up to my 25 hp motor .
We sold a lot of white and red oak logs over the last year and the pulp wood market here has hit rock bottom, My plan for the saw shed is to cut squares from what would have sold as pulp wood to sell to the local pallet company. I have to figure a way to off load the squares from the operator side of My LT40 to be stacked and banded. I can use a roller bed in the lumber shed side but where I have to walk beside the mill is the problem.
maybe someone here has an answer.

Thanks,
levans

levans

ok it took awhile but I finely got the  metal on the mill shed. Now after about a week of moving stuff around I may be able to get the mill under the shed, then I can start sawing the joist for the lumber shed.
It took one of those woke up in the middle of the night and came to me things but I figured out how to move pallet squares from the mill to a roller bed using a rail and hoist system so maybe I can be making use of the tops off the timber we sold.

Larry

jmmy6767

Love the sawmill shed, and thanks for the pics.  I was wondering what the span is from front back?  Thanks again, jimmy.
jimmy

customsawyer

Great story. Like the shed.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

levans

Thanks Jimmy,the shed is 11'2" from the front of post to back of post and the roof is 12'. Here's some as I'm working on it  pictures.

Thank You Sponsors!