iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greenhorn with a lot of questions!

Started by Dustin707, April 22, 2012, 07:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin707

Hey guys! I am new to the forum and the industry and have a lot of questions that hopefully I can get answers to on here...

First off, I am 30 years old from Northern California. I am in middle of a career change so to speak and hopefully start this Wednesday (I find out Tuesday evening).

Last year I responded to a ad online from a logging company that was looking for a choker setter. I had no experience but wanted to try it out so I contacted them with a little about myself. I was told that it was the end of the season and they didn't really have the time to train anyone but to contact them around April (this month) and maybe they would have work for me.

I kept in touch about every other month until I was told it was perfect timing and to contact the Owner of the company. I called him and he seemed interested but said due to the rain they weren't working much just yet. He kinda strung me along for a couple weeks with different explanations as to why he couldn't put me to work ect ect

Anyways, to make a long story short I MIGHT be starting work on Wednesday. I was originally slated to set chokers but he said that he was going to start me off on the "tractor side".

Now finally my first question: What is the tractor side? Would that be a Chaser?

I appreciate any help I can get. I am Green and I admit it. Looking to get as much info as possible!  ;D

Bobus2003

Welcome to the FF, I'm going to take a guess that "tractor side" would be dealing with Skidders, and Loaders.. I know that logging is done differntly down their to here, so i'm goin to say it may not be chasing chokers for a yarder, but maybe a Choker setter for a Skidder

JohnM

Hey Dustin, I can't answer your questions but I'm sure others here can.  But welcome to the forum and good luck with your new career.  Keep us updated, this sounds like a neat story.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Dustin707

Thanks for the replies guys!

He seemed to refer to the "tractor side" as something completely different than setting chokers although I am a greenhorn so I could be completely wrong. He said that he was going to start me off on the "tractor side" and see how I work out. He really doesn't know much about me as I wasn't referred by anyone but myself so I think hes just putting me out there to see if I can hack it and then go from there. He had mentioned that he can "give me work but can't give me ambition". Even told me to hold off on buying the caulk boots until I know If it works out. I'm just extremely curious as to what he's referring to. Either way I am confident that I can achieve.

I grew up in a logging town and a lot of my old buddies are loggers. Unfortunately I've lost contact with them since Ive moved.

EDIT: I have no idea why my age is listed as 1813  ???

logloper

Around here, everything is tractor logging. You almost always start on a saw, usualy bucking and limbing in a landing. It shows the boss if you can take care of a thousand dollar saw, rather than a hundred thousand dollar piece of equipment. If you are running a saw here, you are required by OSHA to wear cut resistant boots. Whites, Danners, Wescos  corks etc. are not cut resistant. If hes starting you on a saw, that may be why he said to hold off on a pair of corks.  Mabe that requirement is only in Colorado, anyone else know?

terry f

What part of Northern California are you in Dustin, I grew up in Mount Shasta. Seems to be a lot of logging going on when I go through there.

Dustin707

I'm in Mendocino County. About 5.5 hours from Shasta County.

redprospector

Around here a "tractor side" would be an area that they were using rubber tired skidders on. Could also be called a "cat side" but that could be steeper ground than a tractor side (confused yet?). Odds are they'll start you out on the landing "bumping knots". If that's the case, my advice is keep your saw sharp at all times, never, never, never let your saw run out of gas, and don't make the crummy wait on you. Letting your saw run out of gas on the landing could be considered the cardinal sin around here. It leaves a $100,000.00 machine waiting on a $1,000.00 machine. I've seen more than one guy loose his job like that.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

colinofthewoods

I remember being nervous as hell my first day logging.  I was setting chokers on a tower.  On the ride out in the morning,  I was wondering what exactly this "tower " thing was.  Yup that green, 

The best piece of advice someone gave me before I started was just don't talk too much. They will probly tell you what you need to know to do your job.  Just use common sense , don't trust anyone with your own safety. If you make a mistake, fix it,  say ok and do it right next time and move on.   Don't get caught standing around,  like someone said,  if you have a spare minute, top up the saw , sharpen it, clean it , whatever, just don't get caught with your hands in your pockets when the foreman shows up.
        Make sure you have everything you need,  if you are running saw, on your person have- a bar wrench , files, wedge.  Everyone throws a chain once in a while, and everyone gets pinched once in a while.

loggers ( out here anyways ) arn't famous for being patient , you got to have thick skin.   

Tramp Bushler

Massive emphisis on being thick skinned !!!!!!!
Work your guts out . Logging is about as close to being a professional athlete as it gets . Without all the money , women and fame . .
Your body can't do what your brain can't control safetly . ( Your brain and body have to be in sync or you will get hurt or break something . )

I strongly suggest you find your old buddys and pic thier brains . !!

STAY OUT OF THE BIGHT !!!!!
Hopefully the landing is set up well organized for safety and production . !
Alit of guys in the brush live on adrenilin ,
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

madmari

First rule of a GOOD employee is to ask questions and don't be afraid to do so. Ask him what he meant- Tractor side? Nobody here has given a definitive answer, so I'll guess you wouldn't know either. Knowing will settle your nerves and put you ahead in learing.
  Listen and ask... not asking can get you hurt. If anyone you work for makes you feel stupid for asking questions, they don't deserve you.
  Best luck in your new career.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Tramp Bushler

At the end of the day your brain will be as or more tired than your body ..
Being new you will be expected to run when someone needs u to get something . Just run safetly . Remember ! Don't get hurt
Post pics . Ask ? Here . If you not good at power saw stuff you need to learn . .
Lots of water , electrolite recovery and whey protien . .
Don't be late !!!!!! Don't get an attitude . Be a sponge for knowledge . . If there are any on your crew that do , DONT DO DRUGS . thats a fast way to die in the brush and I can show ya alot of headstones .

Tramp Bushler

Tractor side generally means dozers on the west coast .. Also , cat side . . As opposed to tower side .
Oh and No gangsta punk pants lookin cool in the brush is different than in town

Dustin707

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. I call the owner tomorrow evening to find out about Wednesday. Hopefully things will go in my favor. I have passed a few of their trucks with full loads today so I'm thinking it might finally be a go! I will let you know what he says after I talk with him. I will ask, as suggested, what exactly he meant by "tractor side" just to be safe and maybe I could get a brief job description off of him. I'm going to ask lots of questions and see what I can find out.

As for the difference between lookin cool in the brush and in town... Unfortunately, dressing up for me consists of finding the cleanest pair of Carhartt pants that are in my closet. Preferably ones that dont show any signs of a copenhagen can.  ::) Another words I dress the same whether working in the woods or walking the streets. I am green when it comes to logging but I am a country boy in heart. Born in Kansas grew up in a small logging town on the coast in northern california. I just chose construction over commercial fishing and logging even though I did fish one season.

Thanks again for all the help! Just got home from work but will get back on once I get settled to ask more classic greenhorn questions!  ;D ;D

Tramp Bushler

No prob. . Don't ask too many ? .  This ain't some govmint job your after . . Loggers have a pretty short fuse when it comes to lots of questions . . You'll find out what kind of show it is when you get to the landing . . . If you got spenders u better wear them .

gspren

I am not and was not a logger but I hired and fired people and across most of the business world more people get fired in their first year for missing work or showing up late than anything else! Be on time and be reliable! They can teach the rest.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Tramp Bushler

Quote from: gspren on April 23, 2012, 10:40:42 PM
  I am not and was not a logger but I hired and fired people and across most of the business world more people get fired in their first year for missing work or showing up late than anything else! Be on time and be reliable! They can teach the rest.

X 2 . Yup !!!

Dustin707

Yeah, I dont plan on being late. I had mentioned that I have reliable transportation and he told me that the "crew truck" stops close to where I live and that I could just ride with them. What time would I expect to be at the landing? Crack of dawn would be my guess. The first time I talked to him he said that he is going to start the crew out on 8hr days the first week then 9hr days the second week. Said by week 3 and on out it will be 10 hour days. The more hours the better as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being nervous... I don't feel nervous at this point. If I would of started immediately I would have been nervous but at this point I feel I'm more anxious to just get out there than anything else. Its been almost a month since my first contact with the boss himself and Ive had time to get myself as prepared as a greenhorn could be (I think). Although I do wish I had found this forum board a lot sooner.

I'm ready to work hard and will stick to asking questions regarding my work at hand. I'm pretty confident with my ability to learn so as long as they take the time to show me I think I will be alright. If in fact the "tractor side" is the "cat side" I'm going to try to work my way over to the ummmm tower side? Hes probably just seeing how I pick up directions and get an idea of my work ethic. Keep in mind, I contacted the company on my own and I have never been face to face. Its all been contact through email at first then phone calls once they were actually hiring for this season.

I do have another question. How long is a typical logging season?

Thanks in advance guys. All advice is greatly appreciated!!

colinofthewoods

As far as logging season goes.  Up here on the coast in B.C, its all year. You may get shut down for a few weeks in august or september for heat ( fire season ) or you may spend half the summer on early shift ( light till noon ).   Some times you may bet shut down for snow but I never have. Some companies are market loggers , if prices are low you don't work.

to me a tower is the best place to learn to log. If you are setting chokers, then you can pick your rigging slingers brain as long as he will let you and you probably spend a bit of time with the hooktender as well. You get a chance to see how its done. If you start out on the landing yourself, so won't really be able to ask much questions. You will just have guys in machines screaming at you all day.

Working on a tower is a different kind of workout. Having good bush legs is different than anything else.  When I started I was young and strong and in what I thought of as really good shape. 3 days later and with 11 to go in the shift I could barely move, it just murders your legs. I did make it though but I wondered why these 40 year old with beer bellies could fly up and down the hill while me and my six pack was sucking wind and dragging my feet. I worked with a guy who was a hockey tough guy who had just finished playing pro hockey ( not NHL ) . Just about everyone there could work circles around him,  he tried hard but he didn't have the right kind of muscles yet.

As excited you are going to be ( and in my opinion rightfully so ) I wouldn't be too chatty in the crummy. You will pick up more listening than asking questions, also you will get an idea of who to go to for help.

Tramp Bushler

1 other thing . Aluminum hard hats work great as long as they are the shame shape as New . Lots of loggers like to dent thier hats on purpose . Way bad . I 've had hard hats save my life 4 times . Since thay are only speced for 10 lbs at 10' its best to not weaken them.

Trust me , getting widow makered changes your life .its bestto have a good lid on.

Dustin707

Thanks yet again guys. Yeah, I plan on going out there and just working hard to make me a living. Hopefully everything works out! I wont be denting my helmet. I was actually torn between an orange one or the unpainted one. In the end I decided to go with the orange one as I'm sure they would want a greenhorn to stand out as much as possible for safety reasons.

As far as conditioning goes... Ive trained mixed martial arts for a long time and competed in Judo and Gracie Jiu Jitsu so my conditioning is pretty up to par. That aside, I'm sure i'm going to get my butt kicked physically as every physical task demands certain muscles in your body. I can train my stand up (kick boxing) till the cows come home and be able to spar and hit mitts and the heavy bag for hours without getting tired but when it comes to the ground game, if i'm not training it just as much I will get tired easily. And vise versa. So even though I'm in great shape I do plan on getting one hell of a workout while my body adjusts.

Someone had mentioned in a earlier posts for me to keep lots of water, electrolytes and whey protein. I have a scheduled supplement cycle that I use 5 days a week for training MMA that I might carry over to logging. I start with a blend of vitamins in the morning then my pre-workout which I usually take 30 minutes before I hit the gym (might take it maybe an hour after lunch time) then my post workout shake consists of 50g of protein and amino acids ect...

We shall see. I'm sure its going to take a little testing out to figure out when the best times to take the supplements will be but I definitely think its going to help.

Anyways, I call the boss around 7pm my time. I will let you guys know what he says. Keep your fingers crossed for me!  ;D

Dustin707

Just got off the phone with the boss. Said chance of showers tomorrow could put the crew out of work for the rest of the week. He said to keep checking back like I have been. Frustrating but its just the way it is yanno? If for whatever reason it doesnt rain tomorrow i'm supposed to get ahold of him in the evening and maybe start on Thursday.

Will keep yall posted!

Woodhauler

I would be pounding on more doors ! Sounds more like he is leading you on! I would ask everyone around that is logging if they need help!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Dustin707

Well thats what I thought at first also but his reasoning made sense. First he was running a small crew and one yarder while he waited for the roads to be made so he can get a second crew going on another yarder. Said that usually he makes his own roads but for some reason they didnt want him to this time.

Then the rain hit. Cleared up a little and he said he was close to getting the second yarder out there and to call him back in a few days (he gave me specific days to call him on). I was starting to feel a little discouraged but after talking to him today, even though he put it off yet again it did seem like hes trying to get me out there. A couple weeks ago I told him I would buy the gear I need as long as I have work and he said that he needs a couple guys actually. Said that the more people working for him the more the company makes. I don't know guys. The forecast calls for showers tomorrow but then clear the next 9 days ahead from what weather.com tells me so if I'm not working by monday I'm going to know something is up.

Woodhauler

Quote from: Dustin707 on April 24, 2012, 09:33:57 PM
Well thats what I thought at first also but his reasoning made sense. First he was running a small crew and one yarder while he waited for the roads to be made so he can get a second crew going on another yarder. Said that usually he makes his own roads but for some reason they didnt want him to this time.

Then the rain hit. Cleared up a little and he said he was close to getting the second yarder out there and to call him back in a few days (he gave me specific days to call him on). I was starting to feel a little discouraged but after talking to him today, even though he put it off yet again it did seem like hes trying to get me out there. A couple weeks ago I told him I would buy the gear I need as long as I have work and he said that he needs a couple guys actually. Said that the more people working for him the more the company makes. I don't know guys. The forecast calls for showers tomorrow but then clear the next 9 days ahead from what weather.com tells me so if I'm not working by monday I'm going to know something is up.
Still wouln't hurt to pound on a few more doors! Let them know you want to learn, will do anything that needs to be done!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Thank You Sponsors!