iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New "spring" design

Started by sbishop, April 22, 2012, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi guys, its that time of year again.....opening of the cabin!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

I need to redesign my ground water spring, its been in use for 5 years now but i do get a bit of sand in the water. The way it is setup now on the hill, i'm caputing the water about 15 feet below where it comes out of the hill into a length of eavesdrop then into the top of my 45gallon barrel. My outlet is taken about 8" from the bottom of the barrel. What happens is the sand accumulates in the low spots of the 1" pipe (1000ft long) over a period of time and when i open the tape full trottle in about 20-30 seconds i'll get really sandy water (brown) but then it clears up. so i'm thinking of tackling the sand at the source.

here's my thought.

find where the water is coming out of the ground...connect using 3" pipe reduce it to 1 1/2", run it to the barrel (about 25ft) then 90degree elbow and terminate at the bottom of the barrell maybe 2" up for sediment. That way the water is coming in at the bottom of the barrel, isn't sand heavier then water?

What do you all think? any suggestions on how to get the water into the inlet? i'm been using clay and packing it around the pipe.

Thanks
Sbishop

MrPete

Not knowing exactly your situation, I would put in a few sediment traps in your 1000' ft. run.  Put in 2 or 3 T's or Y's and let gravity get rid of it for you.    >>>>>>>>\>>>>>>>\>>>>>   Sorry, I'm not computer literate enough to draw a pick  :-[ but hopefully you get the idea.

Texas Ranger

Yep, secondary settlement tank seems in the future.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sbishop

Texas Ranger,

that was my option "2", i was planning on setup a second tank....first tank in from bottom out from top...second tank in from bottom out from 8" from bottom. But i thought i'd try this first and see if it helps....its not a big deal but enough to bother me!

Mr. Pete

I think i understand what you mean, install a few T's and let sand settle at the bottom of the T....flush it out once in a while.....since the pipe is laying on the ground wouldn't have i have to have the pipe up a bit so the it will settle at the bottom of the T?

THanks!

Sbishop

sbishop

Al_Smith

What would happen if say you buried a 55 gallon plastic barrel and used an ell fitting on the inlet to shoot the water to the bottom of the barrel and took the discharge near the top using another ell fitting.

It would stand to reason it should act somewhat like the piping on a septic tank and tend to leave the solids on the bottom of the barrel .

Fact if you wanted you could hang a filter on the discharge .It might fill up but not as quickley as if you just mainlined the filter .20 micron filters will stop sand plus they aren't that expensive for the cartriges

Thank You Sponsors!