iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm getting rid of my John Deere

Started by Qweaver, April 20, 2012, 11:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I just got my JD 110, with only 423 hours on the clock, back from the dealer.  The controller went bad and the hydrostatic drive quit working.  The bill was over $2400. The controller was $600 and the rest was labor.  It takes about a half hour to install the parts...another half hour to reprogram.  How can they charge $1800 in labor! Only three things can cause this problem and one of those was quickly ruled out.  They could have simply replaced the other two things in an hour or two and my bill would have been 1/3rd of this.
I used my Kubota hard for 5 years and never had a single problem.

I'm selling everything I own with JD on it and buying a new Kubota.  I should have never sold the 3130.  The JD110 is a great working machine but I've already had two major problems from a new machine with only 423 hours.  The yellow JD are only warranted for one year.  I'll never buy another.   

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

Sorry to hear of your trouble and high cost to fix it. I had a Kubota and won't have another on this hill. Nice tractor but would take a week and a few times two weeks to get parts for it. Went back to NH and get parts in 3 days, if they don't have it. Just went down to get blades and a belt. Walked out with 3 blades and a belt. Use to go to two differanr dealers and they never had parts on hand. Was so bad I use to keep parts on hand for it. I know it hard to carry parts but we use out tractors just about every day. Can't be down a week just looking at it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

I think it is dealers in general. Across the board things are getting worse. We had to buy a belt tensioner pulley assembly  for our Bobcat 751 this week. We installed it ourself. $472 for the assembly. I asked the parts counter guy why so much for something so small and he said "I don't know, I just sell it." When pressured a little bit more, he broke it down to me. The bolt that holds it in, of course, is proprietary. If I were just buying the bolt, it would be $79.  >:( And of course they didn't have it in stock, we were down all week on one of our most important pieces of equipment. They don't seem to have anything in stock for the older machines any more. We've had trouble with practically every dealer we deal with lately. At least Vermeer had the belt we needed for our chipper a couple weeks ago. But we've had other trouble with them.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bugdust

QWeaver,
I don't know where you bought your JD 110, but I always buy equipment at reputable dealers and not at Lowe's, or any other supply stores. I was told that the supply stores handle equipment built cheaper and the JD, and others just put their name on it. It didn't really pay much attention to it until I actually got on my knees and checked for seals, bearings grease fittings, etc. Guess what, they weren't there!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

tyb525

Almost every brand of anything has two grades. Homeowner and Professional. Stihl, Husky, JD, etc. The big box stores, and even some of the specialty stores, sell mostly the homeowner models. They are the crappy ones built cheap with sealed non-greaseable bearings, or clamshell chainsaws, etc. AKA the throwaway equipment. It it always worth it in the long run to get a pro-grade tool/machine, because they are almost always built better.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

bugdust
The 110 Qweaver is having problems with is not a lawn tractor, but a good size tractor loader backhoe, I'm pretty sure.
And won't find 'em at Lowes or the box stores either. :)

I think he bought this one new at a dealer, and I'd think the dealer would be behind the repair - more than it sounds like. Not typical of Deere, IMO. Then, all dealers are not the same even under Deere.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I can highly recommend the Kubota L48. I've got over 2000 hard hours on mine with only $84 in parts not damaged by me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

If you think that you were taken advantage of, contact JD and file a complaint against this dealer.  JD would not want their dealers hosing people.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Piston

Qweaver,
The new M59 would be a good setup for you.  ;D

I've read good and bad on the 110TLB, some have had some problems but I don't remember any being related to the hydro.  It's also possible you just got a lemon, every company has them.  Deere is still making some fantastic equipment.  I have a Kubota myself but that doesn't mean I don't envy some of the Deere's out there, although, I've never been the type to be brand loyal. 

Too bad your 110 is giving you problems.  Maybe you should sell it to me for cheap money while you still can, you never know it might just blow up in a couple days then it would be worthless, I could really do you a favor and take it off your hands.   :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Qweaver

I don't remember what the warranty was on the Kuboto 3130.  It was 3 or 4 years, I think.  I never had to use it.  I knew that the warranty was only one year on the JD...I just did not expect this early breakdown and huge labor cost to simply replace the controller.  I am going to talk to the owner of the dealership and to JD customer service.  But I really don't expect a positive outcome of that.  I'm also checking with my cousin (the lawyer) on the legality of running a half page add in the area papers warning others of my experience.  The sad part is that I really like how the 110 works.  How many 9000 lb machines will pick up a 6000lb log?  But how many sawing hours do I have to put in to pay that repair bill?  And what if it breaks again in 400 hours?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

bugdust

Quote from: beenthere on April 21, 2012, 05:34:13 PM
bugdust
The 110 Qweaver is having problems with is not a lawn tractor, but a good size tractor loader backhoe, I'm pretty sure.
And won't find 'em at Lowes or the box stores either. :)

I think he bought this one new at a dealer, and I'd think the dealer would be behind the repair - more than it sounds like. Not typical of Deere, IMO. Then, all dealers are not the same even under Deere.

OOPS! My bad beenthere. I googled a photo of a JH 110 and go a photo of a garden tractor. Now that we're talking big boy toys I can relate.

I convinced myself that my old ZETOR was a horse, but a few months back I bought a new JD5065E, and now again convinced it's a bigger horse. I'm sure the dealer I bought from will stand good. Not two weeks after getting the tractor the front loader control valve stuck. The dealer drove from Princeton (QWeaver knows this location), 70 miles, picked up the tractor, drove back and made an adjustment, and returned back the same day.

I agree with WDH, contact JOHN DEERE and voice your complaint. One thing they don't need is bad PR.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Ironwood

Bobcat of Pittsburgh, has been very good on pricing with just about everything, including top of the line HD skidloader tires (better than Titans) for $160 each for 10 x 16.5, they did just bump them to $175 but they had quoted me a month or two ago and gave me the old price. Install was free if the rims were off the unit. I have been very pleased, they have also been VERY forthcoming with ANY ideas if I have had issues/ questions with such and old unit (763), they have never said "just bring it in" at $$ no doubt. I think they are trying hard. They have me convinced.

My old 755 JD compact utility tractor (with loader and belly mower) has been a REAL work horse. I moved/ sorted several thousand ton of fill/asphalt chunk/gravel last year with it. The only "no shame issue" was that I spun the internally splined junction between motor and rear end. This is an internal part so tear down was necessary, likely JD would have been 2-3K but my buddy is their "go to guy" when they cant get something figured out (their truck guy too) and knows them and the machines, he is fixing it, parts $300 and labor on trade for a couple hundred. I like the OLDER JD stuff, newer stuff is not so good in the compact line, I also heard the Yanmar connection has been lost FYI, that was an IMPORTANT relationship in my opinion. 

I moved 120 ton of brick/block fill yesterday..... no days of ffor my equipment

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Hilltop366

Sorry to hear of your tractor troubles, I find that is a steep repair bill for a low hour tractor, it must be very frustrating for you after spending a pile of money to get something new and (suppose to be) reliable. I would look around local and on line to see if anybody else has had these kind of repairs as well, if you can find others it might help to convince JD that it is a problem worth going good for to keep there reputation intact as a maker of reliable equipment as that seems to be their main advertising ploy.

When I was looking for a tractor a few years ago the Kubota guys would steer me towards the standard transmission after they asked me what was my intended use for the tractor, my answer was: mowing.... their reply hydro,   next answer moving snow....... their reply snow-blower = hydro or plowing = standard,  next answer pulling logs...... their reply forget the hydro or you will be back in a few years with a big repair bill, get a standard with a two stage clutch.

Dave Shepard

I have used my hydro like a bulldozer for years without a problem. They are protected by relief valves. If you keep the oil temp within specs, it would be very hard to hurt one. I can't imagine not having hydro on a compact tractor.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

markd

I've had my 1968 International 656 Hydro for twenty five yrs and never had any problems and the hydro is really nice to operate
markd

Okrafarmer

Some hydros are better than others. For many it is a well built unit. Always make sure you change your oil and filters on time.

The biggest drawback, at least in the old days, was lack of pulling torque from a hydro. For some jobs, that is acceptable. For others, you need your tractor to "tract" and in that case, the standard transmission is usually the way to go. Hydro is much more convenient to operate. Some modern hydros may have comparable torque and power to their straight-drive counterparts, I'm not sure.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Qweaver

I guess I need to make it more clear.  The potentiometers and the internal servos were fine.  It was the controller (computer) that was at fault.  No mechanical fault. Purely an electrical problem.  But $1800 in labor to  bolt  in and program a $600 part is absurd.  Even needing a $600 part after 423 hours of use is ridiculous .  I have performed all of the required maintenance on time.  There is no maintenance for the computer!

OneWithWood

Qweaver, do take WDH's advice and contact John Deere.  As a company, Deere does not like to loose customers.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Okrafarmer

Yes, if the dealer won't be helpful, hop over their head. The company will probably do something to make it right. If they don't, then's the time to throw them under the bus.

I don't buy things like that new, but if I did, I wouldn't purchase something with an engine and wheels, with less than 3 years warranty.

thecfarm

I think that JD is an industrial type. Kinda like when I bought my 372 Husky. A home owner saw was warranted longer than my professional saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

My Stihl Farm Boss saw seems to be more reliable than the pro saws. The only one that doesn't need constant messing with. I have abused it quite a bit and it doesn't quit.

The JD 110, if I understand correctly, is designed to be compatible with skidsteer attachments. I never was too impressed with the model, based on friends' analysis, but I never used one myself.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 22, 2012, 10:22:46 PMThe JD 110, if I understand correctly, is designed to be compatible with skidsteer attachments.

Most tractors on the market today have a quick attach plate to accept skidsteer attachments.

Okrafarmer

Shows how far behind I am.  :-[  I remember it being big news on the 110 back around 10 years ago.

Thank You Sponsors!