iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut?

Started by Oregon_Rob, February 24, 2004, 08:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Rob

I have a medium sized, what I think is some kind of chestnut tree in the yard and the boss said that it's got to go. I haven't seen any discussion about Chestnut, what's it good for and are there different species?

Thanks,

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Ron Wenrich

There are several varieties of chestnut.  The ones that grow straight are American.  The ones that are more stunted are either Chinese or European.  

Chestnut used to be one of the leading species in the east, before the blight.  Uses are DanG near anything you would use wood for.  It is rot resistant and was used for everything from construction to furniture.

What little chestnut that finds its way to market gets seems to be going for about $3+/bf or better.  Check out some of the chesntut for sale over at Ebay.  Just punch in chestnut lumber.  Gives you an idea of prices and what it looks like.  

Most of the chestnut making it to market nowadays comes from recycled timbers.  Very little coming from the woods.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

OneWithWood

If it is truly American Chestnut (Castenea dentata) it contains some very valuable wood.  Given the Chestnut blight that swept the country in 1904 and since I doubt it is American Chestnut.  It may very well be a Japanese-Chinese-American Hybrid.  Oregon is not a known sight for Chestnut as far as I have been able to discern.  Could you give us a description of the tree?  Bark? Flower? Twig?

Jeff, this be two  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Oregon_Rob

I will give it a closer look when I get home, unfortunately, I don't have a working digital at the moment. Mostly I remember that it drops some prickly, green, balls in the fall and they open up as they dry to what I think is a chestnut. Bark is grayish white and seems kind of splotchy. The tree is about 14-15" and has a pretty straight trunk that is 10-11' before it branches out.
And good web links that show the types?
Thanks,

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

Larry

I can remember Grandpa telling me chestnut was a wood suitable for about anything.  Wormy chestnut was a common wood in my high school shop class during the early 60's but can't remember much about it.  Watched a guy last fall saw timbers out of a warehouse and about 90% sure it was chestnut.

If your tree is a true chestnut, it might be worth a lot more alive than dead especially since it is 14-15".  There are some people who want to develop a disease resistant chestnut and have been crossbreeding different strains.  A Goggle search would turn up something.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

steveo_1

Rob, does this tree have a pungent odor when it flowers?If so i think it would be the chinese variety,we had one we got from school to plant, and as it got bigger we noticed the smell and wished we hadnt planted it.
got wood?

Sawyerfortyish

I took me a long time to save but I got about 1500 bd ft of wormy chestnut. It's not for sale as my brother has his mind set on building kitchen cabinets out of it but man it sure is nice He built a door out of some. Nice grain and the worm holes just add so much character that there will never be another like it.

music_boy

American Chesnut was the main hardwood species in the late 1800s. It has the look of Oak but the working properties of a softer wood. The Blight that devastated this specie, came from overseas into New York in 1904, and spread like wildfire. Not only did it devastate a specie of tree, it devastated a people and way of life. The people of the Applachia Mountains region used to feed their hogs on the chesnut mast. The people made furniture from the wood to sell. Chesnut dressing at Thanksgiving was American Chesnuts and the Mountain folk sold these to the "outlanders" and was part of their money crop.When the Chestnuts died, so did this income, and a part of their way of life.    
     There is an extensive breeding program to reproduce the resistant strains of the American Chestnut here on the East Coast at Sugar Loaf Mountain.. The non resistant variety Chestnuts grow till they reach an age that they flower and produce fruit. This weakens the tree and the blight takes hold.
      I've seen some American Chestnut wood. It is so beautiful.
       If the tree you are speaking of is indeed an American Chestnet, Please do not cut it down. Find someone affiliated with the preservation of these trees. If it is that large and still alive, it has  the resistant genes and needs to be preserved, studied, and propagated.
       If it is the Chinese, have at it.
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Ron Wenrich

More info on chestnut can be found here:

http://www.acf.org/

There's also a thread started over in "Ask the Forester" where I've explained the new breeding program.  

Being that you're in Oregon, it may well be an American.  The blight doesn't move that fast.  You may be isolated enough.  Although you're description does sound more like Chinese.  Here's a guide:  http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/comparison/

There was a viable chestnut market in the late 60s.  The last of the blight didn't hit Tennessee until the late 50s.  The last natural chestnut forest still stands in Wisconsin, although it has recently been infected.

Most woods grown chestnuts that reach any size are now hybrids.  A lot have cross pollinated with imported varieties.  But, pure Americans are still found.  They found one growing in a back yard in a town here in PA.  The blight missed it, although it wiped out every other one decades ago.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Oregon_Rob

I have to say that it is a hybird. The bark looks more like the American, but the fruit looks more chineese and going from memory, the leaves look more american.

It also looked a lot smaller and shorter than I had in my mind when i made my first post. maybe 12" and there is a crotch at about 6'.
Chainsaw Nerd

Frank_Pender

Rob, are you going to being it down and have me saw it for you?  8) I sure would like to saw another such tree.  I have sawed only one in 14 years. :'(
Frank Pender

Stephen_Wiley

Hey Rob,

About two years ago I came across a grove of  A. Chestnut down here in the valley. Initial measurement shows that the largest is bigger than the one contained in "Big Trees" records here in Oregon.

BTW, several of us are heading down to Eugene tomorrow (Thursday) for the Oregon Logging Conference come on down if your available.  Look at the thread  called "Oregon Logging Conference" in: ' Shows, Events and Places to meet "
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Oregon_Rob

Frank,
If you weren't 1 1/2 hours away, i would. That's just a little far for a little wood. I got a hold of woodmizer in Portland and he gave me names of two guys within 5 miles of me. I haven't called yet, but i would like to find someone close who can do some sawing and drying for me.

Stephen,
Sorry, my boss prefers that i spend the day with him. Is it just me, or do bosses seem to require just too much of your time, kind of needy. :D I would much prefer to go to the logging conference, or poke my self with a sharp stick or......
Chainsaw Nerd

jpad_mi

I found what I believe is a true American chestnut tree in Southeastern Michigan last fall. It was a fairly large tree (>20in dbh) and had no signs of the blight. I collected a pocketful of nuts from the dropped burrs. They look exactly like the pictures of American Chestnuts except that they are smaller than 1/2inch. I was hoping that they could be planted, but fear that I didn't properly handle them (they've been in the junk drawer since Sept). Any advice on how to prepare for planting. Anybody want a few?  
Jeff P. in Michigan

sawmill_john

Rob I cut on an american chestnut this last fall, the tree had to be removed, it measured over 5' across the butt section, and took every bit of ingenuity I had to load it, and cut.  I still have probably 2000bdf of 8' sections to cut up I am waiting to find a reasonable market so I can make the best decision, before cutting it.
The boards that came off were very nice, and as soon as I get a chance to work something up you guys will see it, I did plane up a short piece maybe I'll snap a quick picture and post it.  
I have fond memories of going and picking up chestnuts with my grandmother when I was 4 or 5 years old.

Stan

Oh yes, chestnuts roasting on an open fire. The last time I had any was Dec. of '58 from a street vendor in New Yawk City.  8) :) ;D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

LeeB

jpad, if you think they will grow in Texas, I would like to try a few. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!