iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore Slab Bench

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 20, 2012, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Took the day off from milling to finish up my bench. I'm really lucky to have Tree Trimmers bring in their junk wood for me to burn. I picked this old Sycamore log outta the pile before I burned the rest. It produced some very nice slabs.
So far I've applied 8 coats of Polly. Sanding with steel wool and applying more Poly.
This bench is 8 foot long and about 20 inches at it's widest point.

I took a can of Pecan stain and toned it down about 30% and then stained the bench.

Lots of work, but the wife loves it.....so that's good enough for me.

Thanks for looking. David

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Axe Handle Hound

Very nice!  Did you stain that bench before applying the poly?  Or maybe it's just the amber nature of the poly, but either way I really like the color of it.  Most sycamore I see is left in it's white natural color and ends up seeming a bit bland.   I also like the natural edge stretcher.  Well done! 

Misfit

That's a beautiful piece of wood and workmanship!  smiley_thumbsup
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Red Pill

Very nice. I'm glad you are putting a final coat of Poly on. Polly might object to you using her 8 coats.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on April 20, 2012, 01:54:57 PM
Very nice!  Did you stain that bench before applying the poly?  Or maybe it's just the amber nature of the poly, but either way I really like the color of it.  Most sycamore I see is left in it's white natural color and ends up seeming a bit bland.   I also like the natural edge stretcher.  Well done!

I'm glad you asked me that, I forgot to tell it in my post. But yes, the wood was bland looking as you stated. I took a can of Pecan Stain and toned it down a bit. I really wanted the spalting to show through.

But again, the sap wood part of the slab looked almost like it had been bleached. I didn't like it.

Thanks for asking AXE.....I forgot all about that.  say_what

Dodgy Loner

Wow, you've done a really nice job on that finish! It's easy to overdo the gloss with polyurethane and end up with plastic-y looking wood, but you really nailed it! I love it!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

sandhills

Very, very nice!  I really like it!

redbeard

Good job! I like the live edge stretcher also. if it sits too high just put it on the mill upside down and levels the legs perfect.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

okmulch

Very nice!! You did an awesome job!
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: redbeard on April 20, 2012, 05:22:56 PM
Good job! I like the live edge stretcher also. if it sits too high just put it on the mill upside down and levels the legs perfect.

Good idea REDBEARD!  :D Never thought of that.

T Welsh

POSTONLT40HD,I love live edge projects. great job on the design,proportions,layout and finish. Tim

WDH

Now that is just fine!  Inspiring!  I love it too!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Love it! 8)

I like to call live edge stuff Hobbit Furniture. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Lud

We Hobbits call it  Dead Edge furniture.......and the 'Dead heads call it groovy, man. :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

bama20a

That is some kind of nice,Just love it.An just think, All this time I didn't think Sycamore was good for anything :DSure proved  me wrong. I have been wrong a couple of times before :D :D :D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Okrafarmer

Poston can also make that same bench out of sweetgum. But I like the sycamore. I just wish I had the eye for putting these things together-- I certainly have the lumber available. I call it camp wood.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

tyb525

I'm waiting for an Ailanthus altissima bench, Poston. I got plenty of it up here if you don't ;D That is, if you even know what that is! (Tree-of-Heaven, chouchun, "ghetto palm", "stink tree")
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

samandothers

Nice bench and use of wood that would not other wise be admired. 

I like the natural look.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tyb525 on April 21, 2012, 05:10:30 PM
I'm waiting for an Ailanthus altissima bench, Poston. I got plenty of it up here if you don't ;D That is, if you even know what that is! (Tree-of-Heaven, chouchun, "ghetto palm", "stink tree")

Oh my goodness.....yeh, yeh, yeh.....I know all the scientific names for trees. In fact they're sooo easy, I let my side kick, "WDH" answer most of the easy ones for me.  :D

But since WDH is enjoying his Saturday somewhere else, here is what I know:

The Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) is found throughout Virginia and is known as an ornamental shade tree or a difficult weed to eliminate. The tree grows very rapidly, thrives in most soils and climates and resists many insects and diseases. It has become a serious non-native woody species in the state. Ailanthus is an Indonesian-Mollucan name "ailanto" for Ailanthus moluccana - reaching to Heaven. The term altissima means tallest, referring to the height of the tree. Ailanthus grows rapidly, and can become quite large (up to 90 feet tall and 3-4 feet in diameter).
While the tree is considered a non-native weed species, its does have some value as firewood and for woodworking. The heartwood is pale green to yellow with dark streaks, while the sapwood is wide and cream-colored. The wood resembles ash, is reported to be easily worked with tools and glues, and takes a finish well.

I would like to try working with some of that Stink Wood though.  :)

Okrafarmer

We call it "Tree that wasn't good enough for Heaven" and stuff like that.

Like walnut, it puts chemicals into the soil to kill off its competition all around it. It's a weed. We're hoping to clear my boss's land of it soon and sell for pulpwood.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

That is a very nice bench and craftsmanship David.  Nice touch with the finish also.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 21, 2012, 09:32:39 PM
That is a very nice bench and craftsmanship David.  Nice touch with the finish also.   smiley_thumbsup

Thanks Lynn. If you were close enough I would bring it to you to put on your cabin porch.

WDH

In the second pic, that bench is looking back at me  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 21, 2012, 09:42:15 PM
Quote from: Magicman on April 21, 2012, 09:32:39 PM

Thanks Lynn. If you were close enough I would bring it to you to put on your cabin porch.

David,

I'm coming through South Carolina next month. I'll swing by and pick up MM's bench from your place and bring it down to my Florida storage facility. That way MM will not have to go all the way to SC to pick it up, he could just swing by here...

Herb

BTW, nice bench.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank You Sponsors!