iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For all the Wood-Mizer guys

Started by Dustin, April 20, 2012, 12:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

I was rained out of work today, so to make the most of the day I made a couple of phone calls. I went to check out an operation that deals mainly in large slabs and has the closest kiln to me. He buys logs from all over the plance and then ships slabs back out all over the country. I was really impressed at the size of some of the slabs that were sitting around. There was a lot of large walnut slabs stacked up.

The gentleman that gave me a tour and was nice enough to answer all my questions was great. He really knew his stuff and took his time to answer all my questions. It was cold and raining all day so it was nice to have him show me the operation despite the weather.

They run a Lucas and a Linn mill to cut the slabs. When I asked him about going for a cheap Alaskan mill he took me over to a small shed. Inside I found 4 Stihl 90 chainsaw heads that they have went through. Jerry said they work great when milling pine but when trying to do any hardwoods your wasting your time and money.  Has anyone else had the same experience trying to cut hardwood with an Alaskan mill?

When first starting out they were running an older Wood-Mizer that worked for cutting dimensional lumber but was fixing it to often.  As they found their niche in the market with the large slabs the Wood-Mizer was replaced. Jerry was happy to see it go since he said he was the one that usually fixed it when it was broken down.  While visiting with him about the old Wood-Mizer I told him of my thoughts of buying a LT40 or a super. His comment to me was that I need to be a mechanical person so I could perform the repairs. My question to you guys is, how mechanical do I need to be? I can construct things out of lumber but I'm not the best person with a wrench.  I'm not afraid to get my hands greasy and not afraid of the challenge but how often do the new ones break down? I know everything has wear and tear and proper maintaince goes a long long way too. Should this hinder my choice on a Wood-Mizer at all? Reading a lot of the posts on here it looks like the main thing is staying calm and not getting to frustrated. If I or a friend can't get it fixed it looks like I can always turn to the FF or call Wood-Mizer for help also.
Richardson Sawmill
'20 Wood-Mizer LT50HD Wide
Husqvarna 390XP and 450 chainsaws

Just getting started but already know I have an addiction problem.

Buck

The only way I can even attempt to answer this is.....If I was in your shoes I would be glad to be associated with Woodmizer because of the customer and technical support that comes behind every mill they sell. I own two and they have never failed me. The customer service folks can talk you through most any troubleshooting and repair. They will spend whatever time is necessary to assist you. Any machine will require maintenance and repair.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

flyboy16101

With my experience with Woodmizer (purchased a lt 28 new) a little common scense and referencing the manual you can figure out what's goin on usually (in my case usually operator error) but in the off chance that doesn't work they have excellent customer support and stand by there product unwavering in their willingness to not only help fix the problem but to help you understand how to prevent it from happening again (yet again in my case operTor error). Long story short the only thing better than the quality of there mills is the support you get with one that is only a phone call away. And any machine will break down if you don't treat it right.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

customsawyer

One of the main things that I love about both my WM is how much work they do for so few repairs. I have run lots of different equipment and the WM is one of the cheapest to operate.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer!

Apply that with the technical assistance available by just making a call to Wood-Mizer!

The Owner/Operator manual for a Wood-Mizer mill is second to none.  Maintenance procedures are spelled out step-by-step!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer mills come with manuals.  They are the most comprehensive in the industry.  I've never owned a piece of equipment so well documented for maintenance, repair and parts. As testified, their customer service has no equal.

Our 2002 LT40 Super has nearly 6,000 hours on it.  Yea, the corners are worn a bit and it needs a little TLC from time to time but has held up extremely well.  It can work me into the ground any day of the week!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dan_Shade

I have a 2005 (I think) LT40H, 25hp kohler engine with about 650 hours on it.

I've had a few small parts wear out: belts, potentiometer, felt pad for track lubrication, etc.

with a little bit of maintenance, which is very well spelled out in the manual, these things will go a long ways.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kansas

It takes time to understand any bandmill. Why a blade dives, something isn't cutting straight, etc. But I have seen people struggle as well with a Lucas. Linn, I don't know anything about. But if you plan on using this or any other bandmill, expect to come to know it well. I would not let that deter you. As was stated, they have excellent customer service. Do be aware they have a fair number of proprietary parts. Doesn't mean they gouge you on them, just that you have to order from them. Do make sure you have an electrical checker. Anything electrical that moves is eventually going to break down. Woodmizer will talk you through it. I think it would be an excellent choice for you.

We had a LT40 super that we pulled out of service several years ago when we replaced it with the LT 70. I don't like having a hard asset just sitting around, and someone wanted to buy it. As part of the deal, we had to get it up to snuff. Just minor things. We got it going, next thing I know is we are running it fast as it can go. When it leaves in a couple of weeks, I have a feeling I am going to have to replace it with another.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dustin, you referred to the Woodmizer as an older mill.

When I first got out of school, I bought an "OLDER" BMW. Nice looking car, the girls loved it but I had to keep fixing it.

Catch my drift?

Before I bought my mill, I looked HARD at the TK and the WM. I decided on the WM with NO regrets.
Woodmizer's quality control works around the clock to make sure mills don't break down and revise things that needs to be changed due to the way we mill in an ever changing market.
There may be mills as good as WM, but I can promise you, there is not a mill any better.
My neighbor has a LT 40 built in 1988. Yep...an OLDER mill. WM just did an inspection on it this month, the inspection and tweaking that went with the service took only 2 hours...I was there. This particular mill will still saw circles around some of the newer mills manufactured by other companies.

If a company buys a mill....the worst thing that can happen is to have TO MANY sawyers calling it their mill. Everyone else tends to let the other person worry about greasing it, changing the oil, checking the belts, etc.
This is INSTANT DEATH to any mill. This kind of care will even kill a Woodmizer.

If you take care of a Woodmizer it will take care of you.
If you beat a dog, it will bite you.

I'm just a country farmboy/ firefighter and NOT a mechanic. I've had 2 things go wrong with my Woodmizer. And guess what.....both break downs was my fault. I DID NOT READ MY MANUAL!
This TAUGHT me a lesson.

My mill was under warranty and the new parts were sent to me. The Woodmizer Rep. stayed on the phone with me, walking me through every bolt and wire I needed to fix until my mill was repaired. About 3 weeks later a Rep. from my local Woodmizer Office in N.C. called me just to check on me. I told him I couldn't talk long, I was sawing lumber!  :) You WILL NOT get this service from anyone. It would be nice if Woodmizer made "Pacemakers'.....I may need one, one day.  :D

So, short story long, IMO, YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER MILL THAN A WOODMIZER. So many things you have to consider when buying a mill......Woodmizer covers them all.

Some people will disagree with me but in the South, we generally tell it like it is.

The sad thing is one day, these other mill owners will be dragging them
selves to my place, dragging themselves through hot dry sand, sweating, thirsty, talking out of their heads and begging me...."Oh David....please give me a drink of cold ORANGE JUICE.

Ya'll have a good day now....ya hear.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

smwwoody

Quote from: Bibbyman on April 20, 2012, 06:30:41 AM
Wood-Mizer mills come with manuals.  They are the most comprehensive in the industry.  I've never owned a piece of equipment so well documented for maintenance, repair and parts. As testified, their customer service has no equal.

Our 2002 LT40 Super has nearly 6,000 hours on it.  Yea, the corners are worn a bit and it needs a little TLC from time to time but has held up extremely well.  It can work me into the ground any day of the week!

What Bibby said!!!!!!!!!!

We have an LT70,  LT 300, and a 3500  all three run 50 hrs/week the300 is almost 10 years old 70 is 7 years old and 2 for the 3500
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

OlJarhead

Late last year I met a guy with an operation in La Grande Oregon.  He had a Woodmizer Lt40 that was at least 15 years old.  It was buried in sawdust -- I mean literally buried in the stuff! -- and said he was milling about 1000 board feet per day....every day....

His only comment on the mill was that he wore out the motors over time and had to replace them which frankly doesn't surprise me at all since he buys logging truck loads of trees, mills them all up and then gets another one....and the cycle just keeps on going.

I might also add that he didn't bother covering any of the milled lumber and I'm not sure he even stickered it!  Seems he sold it so fast to the ranchers that he just piled it up until they came and hauled it out for fencing.

Amazed me completely.

That mill, by the way, was still orange (you'd have to see the place to understand I think) and still milling lumber one tree after another.

As for his claim that he only milled 1000 board feet a day?  I don't know if that's correct or if he just says that....seems he'd be running kinda slow for that LT40 to only do that and mill half the day...but even still, at 1000 feet a day that's 5000 feet a week, 20k a month, 240k per year and in ten years (he's been there longer apparently) that's 2.4 million board feet...

Sounds like a good mill to me!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

eastberkshirecustoms

I definitely wouldn't make a judgment based on one person's bad experience. I don't own a WM, but got my eye on one. It is 'older' too, sitting in the weeds. I am full aware that it will need plenty of TLC. This is true for most anything that you buy used though- tractors, vehicles, sawmills, etc. You just don't know for sure how well they 'fixed' or maintained it. Could have been cobbled together, cheap parts, not adjusted properly, lack of PM, and so on. Same for the Alaskan mill. They could have been forcing them through cuts with dull chains, running the wrong oil mix, dirty air filters, etc. to burn up those Stihls. There are so many 'what ifs' and 'could of beens' that you just don't know about.

Chuck White

One thing to remember from past owners testimonials is that even though a Wood-Mizer is completely "worn out", it can easily be rebuilt!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

and If you buy a WM, buy all the parts from WM not the auto store. they look the same but there not. good luck ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jander3

I cut a lot of Red Oak with 97 cc Husky and Alaskan Mill.  No problem. Slower than a mill for sure. 

redbeard

I believe all brands of sawmills will get some bad press mostly from fustration, one small thing out of plumb or adjustment can ruin a day. Being a sawyer mill owner you have to have some mechanical skills or you will learn them. find the mill your comfortable being able to work on because sooner or later you will be turning wrenches and trouble shooting. Tech support will be your new friends.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

paul case

I can attest to the fact that a 15 or 18 year old mill like mine can cut 1000 bdft in a day and if its all 1'' and you handle every board and slab off it you will be ready to quit for a day even if you only milled 4 or 5 hours.
My mill, I don't believe was ever under a roof before I got it, it saws fine and I keep it lubed up and it don't require 2 much maintenence. The electric motors will wear out but on a LT40 hyd in 94 only had 4 electric motors. $1000 would replace or rebuild them all. Though you may be able to get them rebuilt cheaper at least WM can get them all to you in a couple days.
A friend of mine has a 97 lt40 and it has give him some trouble with the motors, but it has over 8000 hours on it. It got a new gas motor at 5k and lately it has had to have a new hydraulic pump motor and up/down motor. He has only had it for 3 years and it makes him a living so he expects it to cost him some.
I sawed a lot of wood( somewhere around 150,000 bdft) with the boardwalk mill I had and it only had 500 hours on the motor when I sold it. They will cut a lot of wood in the time it takes to wear out any motors you may be concerned with.
Blades are a much bigger expense.
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO A MILL, IS TO NOT USE IT!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dustin

Thank you to everyone for your comments. I think you have all reassured me that getting a Wood-Mizer is the way to go for me. I might not be that mechanical but from what you guys say I should be able to figure it out. Now if I only had one already.  :D
Richardson Sawmill
'20 Wood-Mizer LT50HD Wide
Husqvarna 390XP and 450 chainsaws

Just getting started but already know I have an addiction problem.

MartyParsons

QuoteTHE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO A MILL, IS TO NOT USE IT!

Amen!

I got a call to service a WM mill, I stopped in this week.  The owner said it was serviced about two years ago.  I said I was at this location about 8 years ago. He said no it was not that long ago. I looked at our records it was 2002.  I dont think he even used it since we were there.  The engine oil was BLACK but it started after replacing the fuel line and cleaning out the stink bugs.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

snowshoveler

This is sort of related to this post so I thought I would put it in here.
A few years ago I was working at a trade show in eastern Canada (home) and the woodmizer guys were there.
I quickly put them on my to see list and when I had a few minutes I went over and said hi.
They sent me over to there service guy (I am small engine technician). We talked for quite a while as he was setting up their display.
I was more than a little impressed with this fellow. I also told him that he really knew his stuff, his reply wa that every one of woodmizer techs is as good as him.
I mean this guy could build the space shuttle and he is the go to guy when you need help with a mill.
I can't really describe it any better but anyone that had a bit of this guys time would be impressed with the quality of woodmizers people.
Another interesting thing was he knew all the competition and how they worked but was not disrespectfull of anything. Even pointed out a few good ideas others had.
I was sold on this if I was looking for a bandmill it would be Orange.
Regards chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Magicman

Being "mechanically inclined" sorta goes with having "horse sense".  This mechanical skill should extend to being able to understand basic voltage and resistance measurements with a multimeter.  Also, having the ability to read and understand a service manual, and then not being afraid to replace any components or to make any required adjustments.

The previous owner of my sawmill either did not possess these basic skills or simply felt the need to  find an easier and cleaner job.

My only experience with a sawmill manufacturer is WM.  No, they have not always pinpointed the exact cause of a problem, but they have always spent as much time with me until the problem was found.  Either way, I have always been 100% satisfied with the support that they have given me.

There simply is not much to go wrong with a WM, and nothing that can't be brought back with a minimum amount of time and expense.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bozzaa69

Sure are allot of WM fans on this site. My friend has a Lt-15 and I don't like the cantilever carriage. It's hard to push because it has a bind to it with all the weight of the head tweeking it. I'm a 4 post head guy.

Cedarman

And that is why there is vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, butter pecan and a whole host of other sawmills.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Cedarman on May 15, 2012, 07:43:33 AM
And that is why there is vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, butter pecan and a whole host of other sawmills.

Yea, but most are Wood-Mizer flavor. Maybe more than all other band miles combined.

Sawing since '94

Magicman

My thoughts are that most of the binding and tweaking is in the minds of the non WM owners.  In over 10 years of ownership and usage, I personally have never encountered either.

I also do not make it a practice of bad mouthing other manufacturers products.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: bozzaa69 on May 15, 2012, 07:15:20 AM
My friend has a Lt-15 and I don't like the cantilever carriage. It's hard to push because it has a bind to it with all the weight of the head tweeking it.

Baloney
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SAWMILL BUDDY

I agree with MM. I ran several different mills before going with woodmizer. I liked each one and woodmizer worked best for my uses.

WDH

My LT15's head does not tweek when you push it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Sounds like his mill might need some maintenance...

Herb

bozzaa69

I didn't mean to stir a hornets nest here. It's just an observation. I helped him set it up new off the pallets and it always seemed to bind. I don't think I was really badmouthing a manufacturer's product. Every other manufacturer that has a 4 post head advertises it as an advantage over the competition with cantilever design. I just can't help but wonder if his binds with a 15 hp motor, what happens on a cantilever with 600 lbs of diesel on it?

Magicman

Quote from: bozzaa69 on May 16, 2012, 08:27:39 AM
I didn't mean to stir a hornets nest here.
Oh, I don't think you did that at all, but I do think that your statement being used as describing a design problem is very incorrect.

Quote from: bozzaa69 on May 16, 2012, 08:27:39 AM
what happens on a cantilever with 600 lbs of diesel on it?
Mine does and it doesn't.

petefrom bearswamp

Are you talking on the rails or mast  vertical  travel?
No problems with mast travel  or rail travel on my lt40shdd51  here as long as i keep the mast lubricated a couple of times a day and keep the felt saturated.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

bozzaa69

Rail travel, or carriage travel pushing it through the log. We took off his rope for his hand crank so we could just push it through the log. It binds as you push it starting off. Once its rolling it goes.

Chuck White

Seems to me that something is misaligned.

slider

I don't know how old this mill is but you might want to check the track bearings .If just one gets a rough spot in it it will cause it to bind at some point in it's travel .Mine would do it in the almost the same place every time .hope this helps.The only other thing that's in a bind is the person on the tail end trying to keep up.  al
al glenn

Dave Shepard

When I had the drive chain disconnected to put the BX on, I pushed the carriage along the track, moved really smoothly. 51 hp CAT. I think you need to take a look at the mill to see why it's binding.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

It is obvious to me that there is a bearing or other mechanical problem preventing it from rolling smoothly.  Not a design problem.

Kansas

As an owner of an LT70 cantilever head, and an owner of another mill that is 4 post, and I have posted this before, I take the LT70 hands down. Have a used LT40 I just settled the price on. Hope to get the check overnighted today. Coming from clear back east, but it was the best for the money I could find. Not knocking any other mill manufacturer. Just been around enough types that I believe in the cantilever design, and the engineering that goes into them.

Bibbyman

When the "hard to push/pull" assertion is made about the LT15,  I always like to post this picture of a big, burly guy struggling to push the head on an LT15.

I've cut a few boards on as many as a dozen LT15 from the first generation to the latest and didn't find it a struggle at all.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!