iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today it was pine

Started by cutterboy, April 19, 2012, 09:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. I've been wanting to cut down two or three of my white pines to saw up on my mill but I have to go through a wet area to get to my pines. Well, it's been dry for the last few weeks and today I was able to get up in there.

Look at the last picture again. It tells a story. Look to the right of the fallen tree in the foreground and you'll see a fresh stump. That was a red maple and the way it leaned it would have been in the path of the falling pine so I cut it down. It was straight and I got two 12" logs from it and some firewood. If you look to the left of the downed pine you can see the remains of the red maple. Now look down the pine and you'll see a small log on top of the pine. That's a white birch log. When the pine fell it hit that birch and snapped it 20 feet up. I cut it down and got two 8' logs. The pine I cut into seven 8' logs.

So, I cut down a pine and ended up with 7 pine logs, 2 red maple logs and 2 birch logs.  :D Not what I was planning on, but whenever I go out into the woods with a chainsaw, you never know what I'll come back with. ;D

Happy sawing, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecol

Woodchuck53

Even better job of accessing the path of fall and planning accordingly. I take it you also go to the woods by yourself. This means you are your only back up. Just curious. The cut up you did on the White pine for several 8' joints. You had no need of some longer material? I seldom fine something as pretty as that straight stem to get my 2x4 plates and such out of. Good job. Stay safe. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Knute

Look like you will get some nice clear lumber from that tree.

cutterboy

Chuck, yes, I do this by myself. I'm making 8' logs because I sold out of 8' pine lumber. Most of my customers want the 8' lenght.

Knute, I'm hoping to get some nice lumber from the first four logs. I can sell it for more if it's furniture grade.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

That is a fine white pine!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tramp Bushler

Looks good . What do you do the yarding with ?
On a white pine like that , how many rings per inch do they have ?
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Thank You Sponsors!