iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where to modify a muffler

Started by gofishny, April 17, 2012, 06:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gofishny

My 1st post been on the sidelines reading every ones post for 3 -4 weeks. Interesting stuff. I have a pro 036 that i would like to have the muffler modified.  What is the procedure and where can i get it done ? An Approx. cost would also be helpful. Thanks

Al_Smith

Oh I'd say use the search function on the topic  in question .

This subject has been kicked around so often on so many web sites by so many people there isn't much interest in discussing it any more .

As it goes some advocate modifications to chainsaws and some are sqeemish of even replacing a spark plug without taking it to a repair facility .

Cut4fun

036 is a easy one. If it has a cage over inside exhaust outlet, remove or drill hole bigger if leaving in. Then outside exhaust outlet open up to deflector size or you can open up the front of the 036 muffler cover like a dual port cover.

AdkStihl

Cut the existing hole into a oval shape towards the front and throw the spark screen in the trash.
J.Miller Photography

nmurph

Quote from: gofishny on April 17, 2012, 06:04:17 PM
My 1st post been on the sidelines reading every ones post for 3 -4 weeks. Interesting stuff. I have a pro 036 that i would like to have the muffler modified.  What is the procedure and where can i get it done ? An Approx. cost would also be helpful. Thanks
Are you wanting someone to do it for you?

Al_Smith

Well if that's the case we'll have to put out an APB for Wojo . I don't have a clue where he wandered off to .

Earth to Scott, answer the phone .

nmurph

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 18, 2012, 04:23:58 PM
Well if that's the case we'll have to put out an APB for Wojo . I don't have a clue where he wandered off to .

Earth to Scott, answer the phone .

Well, it can certainly be done for a lot less than what he charges.

AdkStihl

I agree.
I cant believe what some people charge for "used" modified mufflers on fleabay  :o

J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Cut4fun

put woblow and feebay together what do you get $100 dollar muffler mods.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

You can do this for free OP yourself easliy. Heck if you lived near me bring a beer or 2 and we will BS while doing it for you.

nmurph

AdkStihl

Quote from: nmurph on April 19, 2012, 03:59:19 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on April 18, 2012, 05:59:44 PM
:D Key word --fleabay .

No, keyword: Wojo

Is he the guy asking $115 for a 346XP "Power ported" muffler ?
What a joke...no matter who it is.
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Actually he's a pretty nice nice guy .He just has a little bit of PT Barnum in him .

Think about it ,if you have the gift of gab and are a big enough BS artist you can sell about anything on flea bay .

The unlearned are like a moth to a flame and jump on it like ugly on ape .

The list of super duper fast saws is endless . If you know the back ground many of those same saws they tout as the greatest thing since sliced bread they were also whining about on some forum 6 months previous .Called the builder a bum etc .Now all the sudden the guy is a hero .Geeze . >:(

nmurph

Quote from: AdkStihl on April 19, 2012, 05:55:28 PM
Quote from: nmurph on April 19, 2012, 03:59:19 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on April 18, 2012, 05:59:44 PM
:D Key word --fleabay .

No, keyword: Wojo

Is he the guy asking $115 for a 346XP "Power ported" muffler ?
What a joke...no matter who it is.

I don't think that is Wohoho.

Cut4fun

I have a 036 pro on the bench I took in trade. If I  mod the muffler I will do a thread on it and attach link with pics from ChainsawRepair for you.

Al_Smith

I've got a couple of pics of muffler reworks .Nothing to it .

I just don't want to hear the belly aching some do about altering a saw .EPA stuff ,speculating it will shorten the life of the saw ,noise and using more gas .I'm just going to stay out of it . ;)--nice guy Al --

sawguy21

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 21, 2012, 01:01:31 PM
I'm just going to stay out of it . ;)--nice guy Al --
Yeah right. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

At the end of this thread I posted some pics of the inside and out of 036 pro muffler. No cage inside this one.

http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/stihl/stihl-036-pro-trade-in/msg8847/#msg8847

Cut4fun

The 036 simple muffler mod and rebuild is done. Pics at end of thread.

Before stock muffler and after muffler mod pics are in there. PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORUM GALLERY.

Thank You Sponsors!