iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two plane log clamp modification on my B-20

Started by redbeard, April 17, 2012, 02:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Work still in progress but its pretty simple using some marine throttle linkage attatched to  modified log clamp and contolled with a push pull knob fixed at control station.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

Jeff   
    Looks good, nice and simple. Lets see some pics of your control at the other end.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Jemclimber

Put me on the request for more pics and details. I would love to add a similar clamp/clamps to my mill. I don't like the clamps on the lt15.
lt15

bandmiller2

Remote clamping is handy but only half the story,a two plain that is able to turn logs and flip cants saves untold labors.Really the only power to do that reliably is hydraulics. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jemclimber

I would be happy with a clamp that clamped the odd shapes and didn't lose the spring or bend the guide that holds up the clamp bar, and one that didn't stick out into the path of the mill head on the gig back. If it's left out a little to far it catches the mast and breaks the felt pad that cleans the rail.  So I've heard anyway.  ;D
lt15

redbeard

Completed log clamp project. It is so much nicer not having to use the ,wedges and rubber bands. I got use to this method early on due to threaded knob from factory was sheared off from limb on log when I was turning a crotch part with the bi directional chain turner, this new manual cable allows me to raise and lower log clamp by pushing down to raise and pull up to lower, a lever will probably be added in the future. The factory desighn worked well  it would flip up and down when acme thread was turning but not consistant and you had to tighten and loosen knob where I know have a bolt with a friction sleave so I can control how easy I want the clamp to slide up n down. I did have to install some adjustable all thread for stops so I did lose a inch on max opening but I can drill and tap top off wedge and use bolt head to get back what I lossed if need be. I hope this may help folks with there ideas on there mills 

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

sgschwend

The TK part had clamping force but there is no mechanical lifting system.  The nice thing about this clamp is that it now can be below the working deck height (the factory setup was 3/4" interference) which allows for better handling with the toe boards and other devices that lift and slide, such as the log turners.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

ladylake

Steve
   The whole clamp turn 1/4 turn away from the clamping position when you pull the hyd lever back and the clamp backs up and is well below the deck on a B20 with manual up - down.  I added a power window motor for up - down on mine, Jeffs setup looks good also.      Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sgschwend

Sorry you are right.  I believe Jeff's now does not rotate but still is below.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!