iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

After 17 months, Mahomet falls.

Started by SwampDonkey, April 16, 2012, 03:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Today the tree service crew arrives and takes down the rotten butted rock maple by the power lines. I notified the power company in Nov 2010. It may not have been a speedy process, but it was free. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j13ZB1LQvfo

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Before:

Aftermath:

Of course the little FF Efco is a champ at bucking her up. ;D

The boys hauled off and chipped all the top brush.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I noticed that the butt kicked back on him.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Yes, it was half rotten on the east side of the but for about 8 feet high and not even solid rot, it was mushy like sawdust. And then the road is up higher, but it didn't bounce off the road too bad. You can here him say it split. But it didn't, it was just mushy wood. It was amazing how much holding wood was left there and that no limbs in the top were dead.

Ianab

Yeah, the whole hinge / holding wood thing does't work properly in rotten wood.  That's why are are considered hazard trees to fall. Just getting it to fall in the approximate is about the best you can hope for sometimes.  :-\

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

She went through the tail end of a lot of hurricanes over the years. The last one I think was last Fall. I was afraid of any storms from the east because it was that side that was rotten. It was leaning toward the road which was good. Today was a west-southwest wind so was ideal to knock her down. It was terrible for bucking though the saw dust just welled up in my face. So I quit trying to cut the main trunk up until that wind stops. I'm going to have a 1/2 cord in the top wood. I've only worked at it for 3 hours today because it was after dinner before we had it down and out of the way and trimmed some off the other tree. The boys arrived at 10:30 I think. Went out after supper and carted off some top wood to the wood pile.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

It doesn't appear the power company crew put any felling cut in that sugar maple .Collapsing in on it'self on that spongy rot it's going to kick back physics being what it is .

Dropping with no directional fall cut is often refered to as "stump jumping " .Not really a good practice because you have no control over where the tree goes .Could spin ,jump back, any combination .

Jemclimber

lt15

Burlkraft

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 16, 2012, 07:23:48 PM
Today was a west-southwest wind so was ideal to knock her down. It was terrible for bucking though the saw dust just welled up in my face. So I quit trying to cut the main trunk up until that wind stops.

Did ya try cuttin' on the other side of the log?   :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 19, 2012, 04:26:37 PM
Did ya try cuttin' on the other side of the log?   :D

Yup, had to, bar on my saw ain't 30". Log was east-west, other big log N-S. Still was chewing and spitting sawdust no matter where you stood. Vortex effect I guess. Anyway, that sucker is now 2 cords of firewood. I had to take the maul to them 3 foot but rounds and also 12 others before I got them onto the splitter. That's heavy stuff!! There was a lot of maul bouncing going on, but with the mallet I kept working until I found a week spot. I had to chain saw a notch across the rounds to help bust them apart. ;D The guys had a dump 3/4 full of chipped top brush on a 3/4 ton also.

Anyway I got her cleaned up today.

chet

That tree crew is really lacking in training, or they are just downright careless.  ::)  Either way, they are going to get someone killed or very badly hurt.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jemclimber

If you watch closely that tree starts to barber chair and then breaks.  Proper felling negates what is sometimes referred to as kickback. I don't like to publicly criticize so I will just agree with Chet.  I hope they don't get hurt.
lt15

SwampDonkey

Don't forget the tree was rotten on the opposite side for at least 8 feet high.  It did leave a piece of wood about 10" high, 15" wide and maybe a couple inches thick at the hinge. But this was rotten fiber, except the far end of it where it was still sound near the bark side. This wasn't much wood, and didn't cause any split in the log. I know because I split the stuff. ;) The rotten area is highlighted in yellow in the photo.

I couldn't tell you anything about their experience. But I do know they do a lot of this work and are quite a bit behind they said. I do not know what NB Power requires of their contractors.

beenthere

SD
Their first clue was when they cut out the wedge to make the notch. They could see the rot that you circled. The missed that clue, or chose to ignore it.
But in the end, the tree is down and that was their goal. ;)
I'd only say that they were lucky, and prolly surprised a bit (which shouldn't happen when doing the job they are hired to do). Then again, I've seen some scarry things with the county guys and the utility guys that are removing similar trees. Almost as if the requirement for the job is getting the chainsaw running. After that, look out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I wasn't there so I don't know .However if they would have made the back cut several inches higher than the wedge cut that tree would have broken the hinge clean .

It didn't look to me like they made a fall cut at all .Just an observation I'm not picking on them .

Axe Handle Hound

I'm nowhere near a pro, but that looked pretty dangerous.  Saw pinches when the rotten wood collapses, sawyer stays just a hair too long trying to free it, log spins on the stump and then next thing you know you're calling the ambulance (or hearse). 

chet

A close inspection of the tree before cutting will almost always prevent such surprises. Even if this tree gave no hints as to the bad wood within before they started cutting, red flags should have went up when they made their notch. That tiny bit of good holding wood showing in the notch on the one side is a big hint as to what's inside. And if nothing else, alarms should have been going off in that sawyers head, when his back cut was producing all that rotten saw  dust.

If this was a lack of training, I hope they learned something. If they were just careless, they're not going to live too long.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

morgoon

Is there a reason they didn't use the bucket truck?

Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

SwampDonkey

My guess is a lean toward the road and a wind blowing in that direction.

I do know some of these contractors are probably not up to snuff. My brother knows a home owner that had a tree taken down. It didn't go good for the home owner as they got limbs in the lines that caused enough damage to burn out some appliances that the electric company had to come good for. Maybe it was an accident, but maybe it was lack of training. You know how stories can get twisted when told 2 or 3 times, like hand me down clothes. ;)

I do here on the radio about the electric company having safety and training meetings at different times for their contractors. Our power company is run by the government (a crown corporation they call it).

Thank You Sponsors!