iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Son's project

Started by Bogue Chitto, April 16, 2012, 12:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

My son had a project for school.  We went from log in the swamp to saw mill to finished project.  But not quite finished yet.  We are working on a small table made from sinker cypress pulled out of the swamp behind our house.  The question is what is a good finish to put on sinker cypress that will show the grain real well?

Tripp

I like a hand rubbed Tung oil finish. Especially on reclaimed heart pine. Not sure how it would look on cypress though. If you use tung oil, carefully dispose of any rags you use to put the finish on. They can spontaneously
combust.

Tripp

beenthere

I vote for oil finish as well.
The best one for me is Watco Danish Oil. Easy to work with, wipes down easily, is easy to add applications, and does set up fairly quick.
I use it for all my finishing, except where water resistance is needed.
That will be a decision for you if finishing a table top. When someone dropped a wet newspaper on my walnut slab that was finished with oil, it turned white. But a new application of oil brought it back to new again.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I have not been able to locate Fornbys's Tung Oil, so I bought the Watco Danish Oil and as beenthere stated, it worked very well.  I am not fond of the built up high gloss finish such as what polyurethane  gives. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

I too like oil.  Don't forget pictures!

Old Hilly

BC, you might like to add some Bee's wax and Gum Terpentine (not mineral turps) to the oil. It seems to give a better finish on our Australian Hardwoods. You need to melt the Bee's wax over gentle heat and add some Gum Terpentine while stirring with a spatula. It should be a stiff, creamy texture (not hard) when cool, then add some Tung oil until the mix is fairly thick but not stiff. Rub into the timber and buff back with a low speed lamb's wool buffer, then repeat about 6 times.....
Gum Terpentine is flamable, keep away from naked flames and dispose of waste rags in a sealed metal container or bury them, they have been known to self-combust.
Good luck.

Bogue Chitto

Found some Fornbys's tung oil at local hardware store.  Table looks great, I will post some pictures.  Thank's.  ;D

Bogue Chitto

14 YEAR OLD SON. 

Bogue Chitto

Think he needs to add another coat?

Buck

I think so.....I also commend your son on a nice project.  smiley_clapping
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Bogue Chitto

I will tell him.  Thanks Buck.

Tripp

I have had good success using multiple coats. More is better with oil. Between coats use a very fine steel wool to smooth the surface.

Tripp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Makes me feel good to see the Youth of our country getting interested in woodwork.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bogue Chitto

My camera is not the best. ::)  Table looks better than the pictures.

Magicman

Congrats to both of you.

Maybe your Son and my Grandson will play football against each other next year.  He is also 14.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Can't help you on the finish, but please tell your son he did a great job!  He gets an A + in my book.

Ianab

Definitely deserves a  passing grade on that project   :)

Make sure he has good documentation for the project though. Being able to trace the whole thing back from where the log was recovered though to finished table is where the bonus marks are.

Has he considered selling them? Could make some good pocket money for a 14yr old building stuff like that? It's better then most bought furniture anyway, real wood etc.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: Magicman on April 17, 2012, 02:54:10 PM
Congrats to both of you.

Maybe your Son and my Grandson will play football against each other next year.  He is also 14.   smiley_thumbsup
MM I think we have B.A. scheduled for the last game in regular season.   

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: Ianab on April 17, 2012, 03:45:06 PM
Definitely deserves a  passing grade on that project   :)

Make sure he has good documentation for the project though. Being able to trace the whole thing back from where the log was recovered though to finished table is where the bonus marks are.

Has he considered selling them? Could make some good pocket money for a 14yr old building stuff like that? It's better then most bought furniture anyway, real wood etc.

Ian
Thank's Ian , Mom has taken many pictures.  She documents real well.  ;D

redbeard

Very nice! You both should be proud of the table project.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

LeeB

Great job. Very nice on the top.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

VT-Woodchuck

Excellent!  8) 8) 8) 8)

samandothers

Thanks for posting pictures! He did a great job looks nice.  I hope he has caught the bug! 

Looks like a Kregg jig, they are handy.

thecfarm

Table looks good. Should get an A+ for that project.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moosehunter

That is a nice project and a nice table, but does your son always work laying on his side??  :)

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!