iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing broken concrete

Started by Kansas, April 16, 2012, 08:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Got a call from the railroad about a big pile of concrete slabs that were delivered in last summer by one company from various sources. Our original plan was to have a crusher come in and make a crushed rock product for use around the mill, maybe sell enough to pay the crushing bill. The RR is interested in at least some of it for a washout. My question is, how do I price it. I don't plan on loading or hauling it, just selling it. I have no clue what stuff like that would be worth. Any ideas?

bandmiller2

Kansas,what I do in a situation like that is call around like I'am trying to buy some,you can usally test the waters that way. Mayby a little less than the price of stone aggrigate in your area. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Norm

Depends if they are just buying the slabs or you're having it made into aggregate first. For slabs not much but for crushed, clean concrete is a premium in my area to limestone.

Kansas

Just the slabs, Norm. After paying the RR rent for years, and watching them jack my rates every year, I am not inclined to be kind. Be nice to get some of it back.

sandhills

I would make sure you can get it cleaned before you use it around the mill, I don't know if they use magnets or what.  We have two crushers here in town and a few years ago the coop bought a bunch to put around there buildings, re-bar and wire sticking out everywhere, made you cringe to drive anything across the stuff.  As far as price goes I have know idea but could ask about it if you want.

beenthere

Best to first find out what it will cost to convert it from slabs to a usable and sellable product (just to be sure there is any room left for profit, and to be sure if a price can be set that it will sell at all).

Not clear if the slabs are now on RR property, your property, or a third party. Not clear if you are going to hire the crushing done.
QuoteGot a call from the railroad about a big pile of concrete slabs that were delivered in last summer by one company from various sources. Our original plan was to have a crusher come in and make a crushed rock product for use around the mill, maybe sell enough to pay the crushing bill. The RR is interested in at least some of it for a washout. My question is, how do I price it. I don't plan on loading or hauling it, just selling it.
Good luck with the plan.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Concrete is expensive to crush, therefore the final product is expensive. It makes a great aggregate/roadbase, it really locks together because of the angularity of the fracured faces. We would use it over poor subsoils when laying base for paved driveways. You nave to find out what it will cost to get it processed to set a price.
Too many irons in the fire

gunman63

worked for a company that custom crushed concrete. price  is a higher than narmal gravel crushing, u do need to have magnets on the crusher conveyors, and u will still have wire in the finished product. it  packs great , but i wouldnt  put it anywhere were u are going to drive over it,  the courser u crush  the material the more wire in it, concrete is a pain, give it away. it  takes at least 25000 ton to get most guys to move in to crush most like 50000 ton.

Kansas

Well we don't have a dime in it, so it would just be crushing costs. It started off with most all the concrete from a convienence store/truck stop. Lotta concrete. Next thing I know, they kept adding to the pile. I think I was told about 10 dollars a ton to crush it. RR hasn't called yet today, so don't know if they are still interested.

Onthesauk

For what it's worth, (here in the NW.)  Fellow has been advertising on CL at $200 a truck, (10 or 12 yard load.)  Claims it is free of any metal.  Think it's used as a substitute for 5/8 minus gravel.  Your mileage may vary. ;D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Thank You Sponsors!