iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit 3-53

Started by Tripp, April 15, 2012, 11:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripp

Looks like alot of you are familiar with Detroit engines. I am running a 3-53 power unit on my circle mill and it performs very well. The only thing I dont like is that it is quite a noise maker. I have quited it down alot a by using a good muffler on the exhaust end. Most of the noise now  seems to be generated at the intake end coming from the oil bath air filter. These engines move alot of air.  The engine is in a metal roofed building and I am wondering if any real noise reduction gains can be made by changing over to a paper element filter?

Also after installing a new 170 degree thermostat and a new temp gauge the engine is running at about 160 degrees after sawing for a few hrs at 1800 rpm. This seems a little cool to me. Where should I be temperature wise?

Tripp

barbender

I can't answer your question, Tripp, I'm wondering the same thing. I think a lot of the noise the DDs make is from the intake. Mine has a paper filter, I still wonder if there is some way to muffle the intake more.
Too many irons in the fire

sandhills

Earplugs.  Detroits don't run well when they can't breathe, I wouldn't try muffling the intake in any way, just my 2 cents.

Ed_K

One of the logging magazines had an aftermarket air breather a co. advertized,can't remember the name.I'm sure they will be at the northeast logger show on may11-12.I've thought about getting one for the 4-53.
Ed K

lumberjack48

It should run 180, i would run exhaust pipe about 12' up, get the noise over your head.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

Sandhills, what I am thinking was more along the lines of the silencer box that my Skidoo snowmobiles had on them, it didn't restrict flow, just cut down on intake noise (they had no air filters). A lot of the DD noise comes from the blower, it's high pitched and the ear plugs don't take care of all of it for me.
Too many irons in the fire

treefarmer87

Could a detriot ever be quiet?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

bushmechanic

The operating temperature of a 353 is between 160 to 185 degrees.I don't think that the paper element will quiet down that detroit but in my experience an oil bath filter is bad around a sawmill because the sawdust gets into the oil pretty quick and then you lose the ability to filter dirt going into the engine.I would go with the paper element anyway.

Tramp Bushler

If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Tripp

Thank you for the info. I am thinking I can stick with the oil bath and pipe the intake out of the building opposite the saw.  This will keep down the dust consumption. could try an insulated box around the intake. This could possibly quiet the intake a bit. A Detroit may never be quiet, but I do like em.

Tripp

Tramp Bushler

The 3-71 in my Terex has a paper filter it is just super charged , not turbowed . .
The operator seat is on top of the output end of the engine .. I can't make myself bring in a turn from the brush to the landing without ear  protection ... It has a good muffler on it , but its a screamer . Oddly enough  guys have told me they can't hear it running even wide open from half mile aeay . . Must be the high pitch doesn't travel well . Sure does make it inside my head .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Tripp

Tramp,

I agree with you. Inside the building the noise is pretty heavy. Once you are outside, it is loud, but not bad. I quess it is just the frequency of that blower hum that seems to penetrate the foam in my ear muffs.

Tripp

OntarioAl

Tripp
The majority of the high pitch noise of a "Screaming Jimmy" comes from the action of the blower. When they finally put a turbo up stream and fed it boosted air the reduction in noise was astounding to say the least.
Running for serveral hours and with an operating temp of 160 degrees tells me that; 1/ The 3-53 is not working very hard (what diameter of saw are you    using?)
        2/ It may be that your 170 degree thermostat may be defective and is fully open at 160 degrees.
And I also like them I have owned and operated a 2-53, 3-53 4-53 and a 6V92.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

redprospector

I saw a quiet Detroit once, but it wasn't running.  :D

Pipe the intake out the wall. Human nature dictates that if you pipe it up and out the roof you won't keep the filter as clean as if you can stand on the ground and do it.
I think the paper element would be the way to go around a mill.
Back when I drove a truck we figured 160 to be the bottom and 180 to be the top on the temp. range. The non computerized engines didn't require as much heat to operate right as the new fangled computerized stuff they put out today.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Clam77

A diesel's peak performance range is at 80% load and right at 180° coolant temp.  Running it a little cool wont HURT it any - it just won't be as efficient and you'll eventually start to get soot buildup on the exhaust side and on the injector nozzles.  A big diesel, working HARD in extremely hot conditions, can get up to around 230° without any problems, I'd say 160 is as low as you want to let it get though.

As for the noise...  it's a Detroit.    :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

grassfed

I think that 230 is to hot to run a 53 Detroit. They have wet liners and are prone to liner seal failures if they are run hot. A fix for an engine that is not heating  up enough is to add back pressure by restricting the exhaust flow (smaller pipe, restricting plate, lower cfm muffler...) They make a part called a intake silencer that is often used on marine engines i do not know if this would help. Since your engine is running cool you have some room to experiment with restricting the intake and the exhaust do not go over 180 degrees and you should be ok. You should actually get less carbon build by running a little hotter than 160
Mike

Tripp

Thanks for all the input. I quess it's time to check the new thermostat. The engine is only under a load when the blade is in the cut so it spends alot of time at a no load. From the sound of the engine my 40 inch blade is not putting much stress on it. Planning on adding a hydraulic pump to power a slab mover, that should load it a little more when not cutting.

Tripp

Tripp

Here is a pic for you Detroit fans. Thanks again

sandhills

Once you get past the noise/oil leak issues they were a very dependable old engine, you have a very nice setup there Tripp but I gotta ask, what does the sign on the wall say?  All I can make out is the You Are Fired part.

Tripp

Sandhills,
That is an old school sign I got from a miller, Joe Thomas. He was the second owner of my mill. I am the fourth. The sign states. NOTICE All employees are subject to drug test. If you use dope or alcohol or if you sell dope on these premisies YOU ARE FIRED. After milling we have been known to pop a top or few. Could be a violation.

Tripp

Tripp

Did a little checking today. It looks like my thermostat is ok, but my new temp gauge is reading about 10 to 15 degrees low. That puts my operating temp in the right range.

Tripp

Thank You Sponsors!