iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old McCulloch

Started by PolishedPiston, April 14, 2012, 10:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolishedPiston

Good evening! Ive been looking for information on this saw a just got the other day. Ive been running saws since my father had me cutting firewood when i was 8 yrs old, im 29 now. I am a small collector i guess you could say, Homelite XL800, XL903, SXLAO. Echo CS601. McCulloch Mini Mac, Remington Mighty Mite, few other junk saws. Anyway i was told this 'new' saw was a McCulloch 640 but from what i can tell, it isnt. I looked at about 50 different models of Macs and there are about 10 that look like mine. I thought it was a 3?? series but i dont think any of them are gear reduction and mine is. Ill give some details and i only have one pic right now, but it might help. Thanks..  Its a gear reduction, starter on the flywheel side, On/Off switch is on the same side, manual oiler pump is on the thumb (left) side of the handle and the choke is on the right. To set the choke you pull and turn it to lock the choke on. The carb is Tillotson HL i believe. I didnt see "Tillotson" anywhere but i believe i saw the letters HL. Full wrap handle bar. No decompression button that i could find. Round directional muffler. The cover on the drive side is black, the rest is yellow, obviously. Black rubber cover type thing over the spark plug and plu wire. The gas tank is in the front of the saw, oil tank is in the middle. The top of the oil tank is held down with 6 screws.  https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/29413/McC.jpg

Al_Smith

Most likely it's a 650 which was only made for about 1 year .Same engine as a super 250 ,87 cc .

The model 640 was a right hand start engine .

Al_Smith

BTW if you look up the Mac 650 on Mike Acres site it is miss labeled as a direct drive saw which it isn't . It came in two ratios ,2 to 1 and 3 to 1 reduction .

Although they are gear drive they are relatively fast .Not like some of the old dinosaurs that spin the chain so slow you can nearly file one while it's running .

1966 the year I graduated from high school and the year the 650 was manufactured was just about the last of the gear drive saws .

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum PolishedPiston!  Nice collection of saws you got started, the old Mac will make a nice addition!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

RSilverb579

I have an old McCulloch--at least 20 years old--it has a 2.0/factory reconditioned decal opposite side from starter recoil. I cannot find a model/serial # any where, was told to look underneath for the serial # it would start with 6. Nothing. It has a 14" bar and I thought it might be a an Eager Beaver or a Mini Mac. I would like to obtain a users manual or at least find out what it is. The dealer I bought from is no longer in business so no help there. It does a good job of trimming but is a little light for the bigger stuff. I also have a Pro Mac with a lot of use on and a Poulan both with 16" bars which have handled everything I tried to cut. Any ideas on what it is and/or how to obtain a users manual. I have downloaded and printed a users
manual for an Eager Beaver which looks very similar.

mad murdock

Welcome RSilver!  If you could throw up a pic or 2 of your saws you want identified, I am certain one of us will be able to help you zero in on exactly which model you have.  Those 10 series Macs are my favorite saws!                                                 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

RSilverb579

Thanks Murdoch--I don't have pix or a camera but a good friend does --however I will be out of town for a few days American Legion Fall Conference in Muskegon, Michigan. I will touch base with him when I get home Sunday and see what I can do. The only difference I can see looking at pix on line is the On/Off switch, my saw has a toggle switch.
Later!! Have a good weekend!!   

GO BLUE!!

stevekw

Hey RSilverb579 I was at an estate auction Saturday. Bought a factory recon Mac just like youre talking about for $10. It had been sitting for 15 years, but looked new. I got it home and sprayed carb cleaner in jet holes and thru the intake. It fired up and after adjusting the jets runs like a champ. Also bought a mini mac 35 for $7 that started but needs a little more attention. My dad had one of these when I was starting to run saws in the early 80s, nice to have another one.

Thank You Sponsors!