iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another circle blade question

Started by b dukes, April 14, 2012, 06:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b dukes

I didnt want to take over Tripps post.,  this is what i am seeing on my blade. not sure if this is normal or not. Not all the shanks are marked.  The blade has new shanks and bits. I was hammered at the same time. I havent used it that much. If you look close you can still see the chalk circles on the blade from where it was hammered.  The blade cuts true and for what time i have used it I havent noticed it heating up.

ering.

Ron Wenrich

Is it throwing sawdust up the back of the saw?  We usually call it a rooster tail.  That might mean you have your saw guides off a little bit. 

I don't think there is any problem.  As Bandmiller pointed out, not all teeth are created equal.  If its not heating up, and cutting straight, I don't think I'd worry too much.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

snowshoveler

Are those bits what they call "frost bits" for cutting frozen wood.
I have a few of them in my spare blade.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Ron Wenrich

They're called standalls.  You use them with a summer shank.  Its for frozen wood.  What its supposed to do is slow down the sawdust when its in the gullet so it doesn't spill over the sides. 

As an alternative, most guys in my area use regular teeth and winter shanks.  You don't want to use winter shanks and standall bits.

b dukes

To tell you the truth I don't know , when I had my saw hammered that is what he said I needed. They called them stand off bits as I recall , something about  they would keep more sawdust off the shank ????   Still learning.  Maybe someone will let us know.

bandmiller2

When a hammersmith works on a saw he will mark areas that need attention some use chalk outhers use wood crayons.The standall bits are popular up here in new england,many think they help with worn shanks to remove sawdust.Myself I prefer the regular blue tip bits,the standalls seem to pull harder,could just be me.Be sure to keep the angles the same as new bits when you file. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shelbycharger400

QuoteI was hammered at the same time

drinkin and sawin dont mix...   lol

i have seen a local sawer running a 52 inch blade with bits longer than that in the picture. It was mid summer and he was running them.

Tripp

A local experienced sawyer here runs Standalls year round. He cuts mostly pine.
I have tried both Standalls and Blue Tips. Blue Tips seem to require less power.

Tripp

Tripp

What is the difference between a winter shank and a regular shank?

Ron Wenrich

If you take a look at b dukes saw, those are what we call summer shanks.  On a winter shank, the area below the standall bit, there would be a heavier shank that would come out as far as that standall bit.  Its like a big lump.  Sorry, can't find a picture.

In PA, we run those winter shanks in our headsaws.  We don't run them in the edgers.  But, we mainly use the blue tip bits.  I believe they're cheaper than the standalls.  You use more bits than you do shanks. 

sandhills

Ron I'm still learning also but maybe this photo helps

I think the shank on the right is what you're referring to as a winter shank?

captain_crunch

Looks like  Simonds B  to me correct me ifn I am wromg one on right is worn out mine are longer by bunch Out west you have choice between simonds or hoe
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ron Wenrich

You can get Hoe teeth or just shanks?  Simonds teeth are getting to be really bad.  But, they bought out all their competition and that's all you can get.

The winter shank is the one to the right. 

bandmiller2

Cappy Crunch,is Hoe back making bits again thought they quit manufacture and just sell outhers products. I still have a box of Hoe bits and like them alot. Frank C.

Tripp

Thanks for the shank information. Looks like I am running summer shanks.

Tripp

bandmiller2

Endless summer as far as I'am concerned run the standard blue tips all year,little differance. Frank c.

Thank You Sponsors!