iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1 Log deck full of logs done

Started by snowshoveler, April 14, 2012, 04:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoveler

Well after a little of this and a little of that.
I have managed to saw up all the logs on the log deck.
No major troubles but a few interesting things just to keep me on my toes.
Sawed mostly 2x4, 2x6  red pine a few bigger and a couple hundred feed of boards.
I try to saw the boards in even numbers 4,6,8,10 and 12.
My best improvement was the slide like Tripp uses and a table at the bottom of it.
I am still learning a lot every time I start the engine. 
I will also say that the lumber i sawed today is much better than the lumber I sawed last week.
So far I have sawn maybe 1000 board feet and have another 8000 or 9000 left to go in my yard.
The guy I get it from came to see me yesterday and he has another truckload to bring down if I want them.
All I have to do is hire the truck.
Not a bad deal for me, around 150 to get 3000  board feet of logs.
Thanks for the help so far.
Chris     
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Farmer_17

Hi Chris what's it cost you to hire the truck? Sounds like you have a good deal going life is great isn't it.
farmer 8) 8) 8)
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

hackberry jake

I think every sawyer should have to saw at least 3000 bf for their own use, then use it, an see what needs to be changed. When I first started sawing building material I just sawed random width, thinking I would trim them all to what I needed later. Mistake. It just added another step and increased waste. That was also before I figured out the value of set. I had a few pretty wavy boards. Now that I've used the lower quality stuff and see what a pain it was, I now understand quality sawing more and wouldn't be afraid to sell my product. Ramble ramble ramble, sorry bout that
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

snowshoveler

I have been having this tree deal for a few years now.
I hire the truck for about 100 maybe 150 dollars. Dosen't matter if its 10 logs or 50.
I sawed a lot with a jonsered chainsawmill with a 394 husky for power.
Probably close to 10 000 on that baby.
I can tell you how to file a chain for milling.
Makes just about the best siding I have ever seen.
Now that I have the belsaw working I will just use the chainmill for siding.
If i dont like the look of the lumber I saw it goes in the slabwood pile.
I have burnt a few mistakes but all in all I am pretty impressed with the mill.
If anything the mill is better than me,I am still learning.
Once I get my 4 sided planer under a roof I will start making a little money ...I think.
It's just a hobby for me but some friends are already asking for lumber. Woodsheds and toolsheds.
I can saw those out,already did a few of my own with the chain mill. even built a camp at a lake property we have.
thats another story and involves A huge steam mill from long ago.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

apm

You're going to wake up one morning in the not so distant future and feel like a real pro. Nothing like getting a lot of experience under your belt. Congratulations, you're no longer a rookie.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

bandmiller2

Take it slow Chris,have a routine,get in the habit of checking that all metal is clear before running the log into the saw.It will become second nature.Have a place for your canthook and always put it there.Keep an axe, wire brush,and broom handy to clean mud and caked soil off the log,easier than fileing all those bits.Its very easy to get in trouble with a log thats teetery,that will twist or rock when you cut it binding the saw.Oh and enjoy yourself. Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

A problem that I have had with sawing dimension construction lumber from pine is ending up with all the boards straight after they have dried.  In the big commercial operations, the mills kiln dry the lumber down to 17 - 19%, then "dress" the lumber where they run it through a 4-sided planer.  That tends to straighten out some of the crooked lumber that resulted as a drying defect.

With home-made construction lumber, I cannot run it through a 4-sided planer (because I don't have one), so sometimes cutting a little over-size gives you some room to "straighten" the lumber if that is critical to what you are building.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

snowshoveler

I have been sawing all the structural lumber to full dimension. 2x6 is 2x6.
Most of what I have sawn so far will be used by me to finish the mill building and planer building.
My planer will take it to the box store size if a customer wants it that size.
If they are building a piece on and need it to match.
However if they are building a woodshed or other outbuilding they seem to be interesed in the rough sawn material.
Time will tell what sells and what dosen't.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Thank You Sponsors!