iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

black crows in garden

Started by Polly, April 14, 2012, 04:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

>:( >:( 8)  i know supposedly black crows are endangered species, but theydig up corn in my garden , killed a duck i had on the pond , are supposed to be smartest bird around , if so they know they are stealing , that case they are no better then a common thief ,how do you all control them  ::) ::) 8) 8)

beenthere

Shoot 'em. They are clever and come back to inspect a fallen comrade. That is when it is highly likely that there will be two fallen. After that, the word is out and they avoid the area.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

Neighbors here have a wooden hawk on a pole that moves depending on the wind direction.  They don't go near his garden. 
Say when

Bandmill Bandit

If black crows are endangered so are we! :D
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SwampDonkey

They will do damage to potato crops to. We had trouble with them. They are bad for picking on the sprouted corn and peas as well as the green onion tops growing off sets. I had to replant sets umpteen times last year. They would be rooted good and a new green top and the things would pull them out. Endangered? Who came up with that one? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Polly

;) :( 8)         uncle sam ::) ::)

Clam77

Shoot em and cook em up in the crockpot for chili - quite tasty actually!!    sling_shot    ;)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

sawdust

I believe they can be caught in a trap. Hard to shoot, smart.
The only way they are going to become endangered around here is when they overpopulate  the place. We must be getting close.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Woodwalker

Quote from: Clam77 on April 14, 2012, 09:14:30 PM
Shoot em and cook em up in the crockpot for chili - quite tasty actually!!    sling_shot    ;)

I've heard of people "having to eat crow", but you are the first one that has admitted to liking it :D :D
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

RynSmith

Not that I'm advocating killing them, but black crows are not an endangered species.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/

Whether or not they're protected under the Migratory Bird Act is another question which I didn't delve into enought to answer...

:P http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/

bandmiller2

Polly,those DanG crows are not endangered enough.They used to give me fits pulling up young corn plants and eating the seeds.There used to be a product "Stanleys crow tar"you put it on the seed,the rascals pull one or two spit them out and leave *pithed,it works.The goody goodys banned it because it had creasoat in it.If you take a little roofing tar add enough kerosene so its about the consistancy of honey. Put your corn seed in a can and just a few drops of the black mix swish it around a little goes a long way.Try it, does not affect the germination. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sandhills

I'd never heard of them being endangered either, don't know if we still do but Nebraska used to have a hunting season for them.  As stated, shoot one and you will usually get a chance at a few more, I've also heard an owl decoy will draw them in but never tried it.

SwampDonkey

They shoot them year round here on a varmit license. Not many shoot them unless on feedlots. Truth be told, even robins pull on them seed sprouts.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

I have read theirs one species of crow that lives in the soutwest that is endangered so they used that for an excuse to put restrictions on all crows.Where I live there is a closed season when there nesting and when your corn comes up don't know anyone that pays it much mind.They are probibly the smartest bird if you shoot one or two the rest will stay away a long time.Low velocity rifle or airgun aim a little high least noise they jump. Frank C.

bugdust

New problem here for the past couple years are ravens (crows on steroids.) Ravens whip hawk's butt, but crows whip theirs. When crows get in our garden we kill one and hang it up in clear view, problem taken care of. I've eaten crow before and choked on the feathers. Hard lesson learned.  :-\
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

two tired

if possible drive stakes at four corners and strech string across garden to form a X, crow will not get in the garden again. dont know the reason they dont come around, but it worked. someone said the crows think it is a trap and wont go around the crossed string, i would like to know if it works for anyone else.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Onthesauk

Few years back I had a couple of those plastic owls, set on stakes in the corn patch.  Crows would sit on the top of the owls.  Had about given up on planting corn any more.

Then I started putting the owls at the edge of trees, partially hidden in the brush or trees, back 10 or 15 feet away from the garden.  Looks more natural or something but the crows won't go in the garden any more.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Al_Smith

:D The crows are smart .I used to blow them out of the sky with the trusty old "long Tom " Marlin model 17 .They were at about 100 feet .Now if they  fly over it's at about 200 feet and my luck is not so good .Black feather now and again .

Clam77

I don't know if it's the same for ravens, but crows use a lookout - normally atleast one bird sitting up in the top of a real high tree reasonably close by.  Danger comes and the lookout sounds the alarm and the rest fly off. 

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

bandmiller2

The guy that had my job before me was a Ga. redneck and somewhat of a charicter.He said his pa melted x-lax on whole corn and threw it between the rows of corn,said crows would poop themselves to death.Sounds like a sea story to me,anyone ever heard of it.?? Frank C.

bandmiller2

Anouther crow story if anyones interested.After  Stanleys crow repellent/tar saved my corn crop for five years or so, I tried quitting.Sure enough no more predation,seems young crows learn tricks from the older crows.Them varmints live about 3 or4 years in the wild they had no one to teach them that dastardly practice. Frank C.

sandhills

Frank, I can't say about crows but I've heard the ex-lax works on mice so who knows?

Coon

The crows around here are just as thick as the geese and ducks.  The worst part of having so many of them around is the conversations they have at about 3:30 every mornin' while I am trying to look at the backside of my eyelids.  Just a few nights ago I had to get out the pointy sticks and knock one outta the big spruce tree.  It landed on the shed roof and is still there but the rest haven't been back YET!!  :D 

I dunno about the exlax thing but I know I heard of one guy soaking bread with draino and feeding it to them.... claims all you will find is a few feathers.   ;D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Coon on April 17, 2012, 03:56:58 PM
The crows around here are just as thick as the geese and ducks.  The worst part of having so many of them around is the conversations they have at about 3:30 every mornin' while I am trying to look at the backside of my eyelids.  Just a few nights ago I had to get out the pointy sticks and knock one outta the big spruce tree.  It landed on the shed roof and is still there but the rest haven't been back YET!!  :D 

I dunno about the exlax thing but I know I heard of one guy soaking bread with draino and feeding it to them.... claims all you will find is a few feathers.   ;D

Drano is too expensive. Bleach soaked bread works just as good.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Al_Smith

This part of Ohio is the southern most range of the northern raven .Unlike crows ravens are in smaller groups ,maybe half a dozen .Ravens are like souped up crows on steroids ,huge .They will eat anything that doesn't eat them .

They are or were prevalant when we had bird feeders several years ago .They weren't attracted to the feeders but to the birds that were coming to feed .The little birds especially morning doves which are stupid was their lunch .

Try as I might I couldn't get the old 12 gauge out fast enough to get any .

Thank You Sponsors!