iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice to meet everybody!

Started by cpdunit1, April 13, 2012, 02:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpdunit1

Just thought id drop in and introduce myself. I am very new to milling but have had a passion for it ever since I was a youngen and helped my dad cut down a few trees on our farm and haul them to a mill 40 miles away. I still have the walnut gun cabinet he built out of the wood which he gave me for my 12th birthday! Ok so I been looking and researching extensively, on different mills for about 3 years.I decided last month that I was going to build a mill so that I would also gain the know how of how my mill will operate, making it a little easier to pin point problems on breakdowns. well decent parts are either expensive or hard to round up. I wanted to build a mill that my father (who passed away 3 years ago at the age of 59) would be proud of! Well to make a long story longer, while looking for used band wheels to start and build my mill around, I stopped by a local mill owner using a newer woodmizer  I believe to be the lt70 he had an old mill down at the end of his lot that he had taken out of service 5 years earlier she wasnt pretty and she will need to be stripped down and restored, but I figured in the long run it will be cheaper than if I built my own mill! so after some story swaping a hand shake and $500.00 I am now the proud owner of a woodmizer lt40 super I will be eligible for retirement in 7 yrs at the ripe age of 48 so until then Im sure I will be asken alot of questions here! Thanks for reading promise it wont be so long winded next time lol!

WildDog

Welcome and congratulations on your new mill....retirement at 48yrs, that sounds good, i'd only have 1yr to go :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

terrifictimbersllc

That's some find.  You won't regret it. But forget about having time to do anything else.  I got my mill thinking to find out if I maybe wanted to do it in retirement, then 6 yrs later found myself unexpectedly retired and started a business.    8) 8)  Now I'm not retired anymore.  ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome to the Forestry Forum CP. Mill or not, I'm proud of you for having the nerve to join this crowd.  :D

Congrats on your new mill!  8) Having a WOODMIZER, you'll be able to get a lot of help on here and I'm sure sooner or later you'll be able to help us on some things. Be sure to keep us updated on how your set up is going and what your sawing.

Don't forget to call WOODMIZER and let them know you have a mill so you can get registered. By doing this you will be able to get parts and top of the line help when you need it.

There is a member on here.....MAGICMAN....I thing he has an LT40 SUPER. He will be able to chime in and really give you some good advice on this particular mill if you need it.

He'll have you sawing SWEETGUM cants in no time at all!  :D :D :D

Take care and welcome again to the FF.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, cpdunit1.  Congratulations of the sawmill find.  There is nothing on that sawmill that can not be brought up to specs in short order.  The Service Manuals will be your friend, and you have many more here that will readily dig in with you to assist.  Also get the "customer number" from the previous owner and the sawmill S/N and give WM a call to register it and to get your customer#.  "Retirement" with a sawmill is good.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

WHAT?
Did I read that right? You traded stories and 500 bucks for a lt40 super? Me thinks you stole it. Like magic said except you got a deal even if the motor is blown and every moving part is worn out.
No really you gotta tell us more about this deal, like what year, what motor, hours?, and what works ? Oh and a picture would explain a lot. Sounds like you got a whale of a deal.
Do you wanna trade? I would give $500 and my lt40 to trade up to a super with the 2 plane clamp that runs. BTW I  gave 20 times that much money for my lt40hd and thought it was a good deal.
Welcome to the FF. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kansas

You must have told a heck of a good story. You need to be in sales. Congratulations.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum and congratulations on the LT40 Super!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome and congrats on the amazing find!  Pictures are highly encouraged around these parts.  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on that great mill deal. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

moosehunter

Welcome!
Congrats on the Woodmizer. do give us more info on it!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

steamsawyer

First off, welcome aboard. You are in good company here. The members on this site are a lot of fun and a wealth of information. It sounds like you found the deal of a lifetime....  :o

Retirement? What's retirement?... I'm not so sure the words retirement and sawmill should be in the same paragraph. :D

Oh, and I must say... We love pichers. ;D

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

dblair

retirement at 48 , that would have been nice . Hope you can do it . Congratulations on your mill , good find .
welcome to the forum .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Greg Brown

Congratulations and welcome to the 4F Club.  (Fine Forestry Forum Friends)
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

cypresskayaksllc

Nice find. I think getting this one working would be a lot easier or less time consuming than building your own. More time to mill some logs up.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

millwright

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you got a heck of a good deal on the WM.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I have decided that I don't want to sell you anything.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

Awe lighten up Jake.
You know that a picture and a test run will tell if thats a good deal on a saw or not. And besides NO pictures? It DIDN'T  happen. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

davey duck

Hi there Welcome to the forum that sounds like a Deal on that lt40 no matter the condition.
David G.Fleming

cpdunit1

thanks guys and I will deffinitly gets some pics on here in a day or two I had the neighbor down the road help me set the mill off the bed over in the barn so far I noticed the turbo missing of the motor and on the log deck I noticed the two middle log supports were taken off im assuming. i want to work on the deck first then set the mill back on it so i can move it around while working on it.Its on of those thing where I need to work on it in moms garage but she dont want the mess left there or a project sitting there that she has to walk around lol. I will get my pics on here asap and maybe you guys can tell me what else you can see missing or needing torqued around

steve phillips

howdy thar
welcome to the form ,losts of good folks and info here
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Thank You Sponsors!