iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw's victims fer today

Started by captain_crunch, April 13, 2012, 12:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain_crunch

Had a couple nice logs to turn into 2x12''s

Bout ready to flip again notice the short dogs I made for bigger logs

I need to get a vidio of the half moons as we call them cant is setting them and when I pry down they flop log up on carrage

This is next step note moons have rolled under

Belsaw debarker

Last one is fer Magicman beings he is into comfort My lunch :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Cappy, logs like that are spoilers,perfect cylinders.It pains me how much is lost with crooked tapered logs.That must be your hydraulic feed valve in the picture,I like the swing down lockout.Is your feed rate easily adjustable.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Thanks for sharing more about your operation.  I need to stop by and watch you in full operation. :)   And also sit beside that tong warmer and share a cup.   ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

apm

beautiful logs and nice operation. You've got a well arranged and tried and true system. Me and you are going to have to take that "blue" cant hook plunge one of these days.......

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LOGDOG

Great pictures. Would love to see some video of you running the mill.

captain_crunch

Guys wish we wernt so far away I would love to have visitors. Will have to conn youngest boy into filming Video He likes playing with my camera. Normaly I dont cut that nice of logs but needed some 2x12 lumber in a hurry  ;D ;D
Frank
The valve rotates 180 Top being whoa to right ahead and left gig back. It has infinite speed control and is not hard to feather like normal spool valve. What I like is its hold back ability. Duanes American with belt friction tends to be grabby as saw tries to pull carrage into is and if you ain't on the ball with lever things come tight in a hurry
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

dblair

nice setup . I like the way you turn your logs, rolling only 90 degrees at a time . I use a electric winch to turn mime . no more cant hooks as long as I don't have to . it takes longer though .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

captain_crunch

Magicman
Un less you pay attention sometimes boiled coffee can get chewy :D :D :D
First pic almost shows it but mill center beam is 12" I beam with 4" flange complete with chain hoist on trolly but these were only 8 ft logs so with half moon rollers pee vee  was enough Normaly i use log tong swamped(only one leg) to roll longer ones

snowshoveler

Hi Captain...
   The wood looks like white pine but the bark is something I am not familiar with. What are you sawing there. Sure looks like nice stuff.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

captain_crunch

Chris
It is Douglas Fir sometimes called Red Fir Not a true fir such as White fir,Alpine and Grand

b dukes

snowshoveler

2x6 is bad enough but 2x12 by your self is just nasty. Even with all the rollers.
And fir is heavy even the little ones we have. Once in a while you find a good sized one.
I cut a balsem fir once upon a time ,scaled just shy of 1000 board feet. Skidder operator was scared of it.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Farmer_17

Very nice Captain kept them rolling.................farmer 8) 8) 8)
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

Okrafarmer

Quote from: snowshoveler on April 14, 2012, 04:32:12 PM
2x6 is bad enough but 2x12 by your self is just nasty. Even with all the rollers.
And fir is heavy even the little ones we have. Once in a while you find a good sized one.
I cut a balsem fir once upon a time ,scaled just shy of 1000 board feet. Skidder operator was scared of it.
Regards Chris

That would just about be a record. Most of the BF I have seen would die before reaching 18" dbh. Of course BF is no relation to DF.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dave_

Captain,

I really need to carve out some time to come up to your place and help you drink some of that good "Cowboy coffee" :D

I'm afraid, though, that if you happen to be running Doug Fir like that, I might not want to come back home ;D ;D  I'm guessing that those opened up some nice face wood, yeah?

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

snowshoveler

Had a few good sized red pine on the log deck today and so I did the exact same thing...2x12.
Gee whizz a dozzen of those are a good lift for a little guy like me.
Got some nice side lumber as well.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

apm

now Chris, we know Captain sawed some nice logs, cause, see, we got pictures. You, on the other hand.........no pictures

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

snowshoveler

Well there are pics of the logs...

In the first pic thats the pile I am working on now. There were 2 logs in there that are all the mill can handle.
I had to keep turning the cant to get it wittled down.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

cypresskayaksllc

That would be a dream job for a portable sawyer. Roll up to a site and see a stack of logs like that. very nice.  :)
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

apm

Wow, that's a great looking whack o' logs! You're going to be doing some hustling to get those cut up. How are you loading them on your deck?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

snowshoveler

Well since I have seriously hijacked Captains thread I will keeb blabbin away.
I use a vintage Massey skid steer with a cobbled up set of forks on it.
It is unreal strong for a 5000 lb machine. It will pretty much pick up what it weighs.
I can only imagine what it must have been like when new.

Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

thurlow

Quote from: snowshoveler on April 15, 2012, 09:34:29 PM
There were 2 logs in there that are all the mill can handle.
I had to keep turning the cant to get it wittled down.
Regards Chris

My mill is supposed to handle a 24 inch log and will do so.  A few times, I've sawed 'em that were 30 inches or more;  have to turn it and 'gun-barrel it' and chop it through with an axe or finish the cut with a chainsaw.  EVERY SINGLE TIME I've ever done it, I've sworn NEVER AGAIN.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

snowshoveler

Supposed to handle a 24 inch log eh...
I am only running a 38 inch blade. I do have a 48 but it should have a few shanks and a new set of bits.
I will keep with the 38 for now as the rest of the logs are smaller, some not much though.
I have some balsum poplar that is about 30 inches or so but those I can saw with my chain mill.
As long as I get the pine sawn into something I will be happy...for now.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

captain_crunch

My wheel is 46 in dia and 17 1/2 " is all it will cut thru
But fell into a wind fall sunday feller gave me a 3 blade edger to go on output of mill 8) 8) 8)

Magicman

With your Sons and that edger, you will soon be up to full production.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ArborJake

I have a 44" saw on my bell saw and have sawed up to 21" logs without any trouble. The arbor doesn't run under the mill though.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

markd

Looks like you're workin that Bellsaw pretty hard. Do you have a project for all that wood?Markd
markd

captain_crunch

32" on small end is my record Lots of beavering with p/s but once saw reaches thru makeing 2X16 boards is a kick but I do have adavantage over most Belsaws due to Duanes altercations it is bit of hotrod Belsaw. But got to slow him down even at 80 years old he got wind of my edger deal and tonite anounced it was in his shop and he was desinging sled to mount it on ::) ::) Talk about a menitor or Gaurding Angel I have been Blessed 10 times over. He had his first mill when he was 15 years old and where I have love of sawmill he loves to make mine better. Just got to figure out how to live up to his expations is hard part

jdsawmill

I would love to have one of these old belsaws.I love my sawmills I guess its a good thing my lady likes them too or I would be in trouble.
Duane

markd

Isn't it great to have a young at heart mentor? I've got one too, and had several others in my life they can teach us more than any book. You're  never too old to have or to be a mentor!! Markd
markd

snowshoveler

I have been real lucky there are 2 fellas here that will help me.
The 1 guy has given me more parts and pieces than I can remember.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bandmiller2

Its probibly the greatest honor you can bestow on an old timer,to be interested in what he knows. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

markd

markd

sandhills

Frank you have no idea how right you are!

Thank You Sponsors!