iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compact Track Loaders

Started by JDeere, April 12, 2012, 10:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDeere

Just curious if anybody has used a compact track loader in their operation? We are looking to add one for firewood production, log-yard prep, etc. We have narrowed our choices to the Deere 333D or the Cat 289C. Does anyone have any experience with either of these machines and if so, how do you utilize them. Thanks for any info.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

amberwood

for a long time we used a small wheeled Mustang...very worn out. Have just traded into a 09 ASV RC85. Huge lifting power and heaps of traction. Advice I recieved from more than one user and seller of loaders..If you dont need the tracks stick with tyres. MUCH cheaper to maintain. You can always stick tracks over the tyres.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Okrafarmer

But tracks are so much nicer to use. More stable, and more traction, and more flotation. If you have a muddy lot, you want them. If you have a nice dry or stable area to work on, that doesn't get slick or mucky, then you don't need them.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

barbender

I have used a Cat 287 for the past 4-5 summers on a driveway prep/ paving crew, we work our machines very hard (abuse). The ASV undercarriage is the weak point on a Cat, but I think the 289 has a Cat built undercarriage, they look a lot more robust. Anyway, the Cats are good machines, I don't have any experience with the John Deeres.
Too many irons in the fire

westyswoods

I have had five different compact loaders over the years. Three years ago we were in a major land clearing and woodland restoration project. I rented a Bobcat T300 track machine for part of the job. Immediately was sold on tracks as the benefits were immense. Both have goods and bads.

Tracks maintenance is much more costly not only from the rubber side, one also has all the undercarriage which needs to be cared for and replace at some point in time. My T190 has 1400 hrs on it and may be able to get another 3-4 hundred hours on the tracks. Cost per set of 16" (wide) track from Bridgestone is 3000 per pair.
Undercarriage is another whole story very expensive especially if you can not do labor and replacement.

If the machine is being used in rough terrain not on paved surface track is the way to go IMHO. Any paved surface will eat the living .... out of them in no time.

I love them and will eat the cost versus the benefit for working in and around the woods. One word of advice they will last a longer if you keep the undercarriage clean and don't let the dirt cake and act like an abrasive grinding wheel.

Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Norm

I own the JD 332ct it's predecessor. We use ours for land clearing and love the tracks. They do need more maintenance but I'll take that for what they will do.

Thank You Sponsors!