iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cincinnati Red Oak Tree

Started by mvflaim, April 12, 2012, 04:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvflaim

Hi folks,

I was contacted by a person in my area who had a Red Oak tree fall in their yard. I don't have a need for it but figure someone on this board may. Here is the email.

A large Northern Red Oak fell in our backyard on April 10, 2012.  It is/was a very straight large tree showing no signs of decline, leaves coming out, until it fell over from now apparent root rot.  The very straight  trunk is about 50 feet long before getting to a limb and about 6 feet or more in circumference for the length of that section of  trunk. The tree overall was probably 90 ft or more, just the nicest part is at least 50 ft.

Being taller than the other trees around it in the wooded yard, the limbs got caught in the others, seeming to slow its fall, not causing visible damage to the trunk when it fell to the ground.

Can you or anyone you might know use this tree to make furniture?  I hate to see this big tree get cut up for firewood. 

Are there lengths in which the tree should/could be cut to be of use to a furniture maker if someone wants it?

We live near the Kenwood Towne Center, in Sycamore Township, OH.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Thanks
Mike

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Please do them a favor and take off their name and phone number. Give it out in a personal message from anyone who is interested. (got to your post and click on "modify" to change it)
We don't publish numbers on the Forum primarily for security reasons.

Not many will be interested in a yard tree, regardless of quality. However, a picture posted of the tree (needs to be in your gallery that you set up) would help a lot to attract interest.

Let us know a bit about yourself, and hope you pull up a stump and chat a bit.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

It might be of interest to someone willing to take a chance of hitting tramp metal .The problem could be more so retrieving the thing without causing a lot of damage to the property in doing so .

In addition depending on where in Cincinnati it is that area has to be the most conjested area on the eastern US next to Atlanta or Boston for traffic .It could be a real chore navigating a trailer load of logs in such a hub hub of people driving like maniacs . Nothing against the queen city of the west but if I could find another method to cross the wide Ohio river heading south via I 75 I would go that route instead . 

NWP

Free "Highly Valuable Wood"? Just clean up all the brush and all the wood is yours.  Translates into "so I don't have to pay someone to clean this up."
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Al_Smith

Well yeah a big oak certainly is not like an apple tree in the back yard the wind blew over. Something like that is beyond the average home owner with a bow saw .

Lawdy can you imagine tackling a 90 foot wind tossed oak with a bow saw ? It would take a month of Sundays not to mention a truck load of linament for the achy joints and a tanker truck or several full of beer .The beer you can only rent and gravity being what it is all the residue would flood the Ohio river clear to New Orleans .

Magicman

mvflaim, I can not offer any suggestions regarding the tree, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Do you have any forestry or woodworking interest?   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!