iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

385XP Chain Spinning While Idling

Started by mkjones32, April 12, 2012, 10:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkjones32

Hi,
Looking for some help with turning down the idle speed to stop the chain from turning when the saw idles.  Which screw do I turn, which way etc.

Thanks,

Kevin

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

markd

The big single screw counter clockwise.Markd
markd

JohnW

You could just put the break on.  Better for it to idle a little fast than die.

T Welsh

mkjones32, Everybody is right! And do what they told you. (But) Make sure your chain is properly tighten before you do this ;). You will have good results. Tim

lonewolf

Unless your saw is really idling fast I would bet u have a broken spring in your clutch.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

lumberjack48

lonewolf is probably right, if you can't stop the chain holding it on a piece of wood the clutch spring is broke.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mkjones32

Hey Thanks for the reply's. I had broken an oiler gear on a 460 Rancher, my local repair shop asked me if the chain was spinning while it idled; I said yeah.  The response was that is hard on the oiler's worm gear.  He may be full of it, I bet your right on the broken spring.  When I was cleaning the saw up, I felt some extra resistance when spinning the clutch drum.  I assume I can buy just a clutch spring and probably should replace all of the springs at once.

Thanks,

Kevin

lumberjack48

Pull the starter rope, if chain turns the clutch spring is broke. Take the clutch off and take a look, the sprocket drum bearing might be brunt up. The clutch has one spring.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

MJD

Quote from: lumberjack48 on April 16, 2012, 02:01:28 PM
Pull the starter rope, if chain turns the clutch spring is broke. Take the clutch off and take a look, the sprocket drum bearing might be brunt up. The clutch has one spring.
385 must be different from a 372 then as there is 3 springs in the clutches on them, replaced plenty of them.

lumberjack48

I haven't had one apart for 20 yrs, so MJD if you say they have 3 springs they have 3.
All the Huskies i had only had 1 spring, very simple setup. So they have a 3 spring setup on them, just more to go wrong.

I had 9 266's at one time back in the hay day yrs, don't remember ever breaking a clutch spring. Lots of motor mounts and scored pistons, not me , my wonderful help.

Thank You Sponsors!