iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Field grass

Started by Raider Bill, April 12, 2012, 10:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

At the Tenn house when I was clearing I scalped couple acres down to dirt then planted Kentucky Fescue seed. I was told that this type of grass will push out undesirable weeds and stop the erosion. A bunch of it was washed away downhill but sprouted and is doing great in that area but many places I have nothing. We have been cutting it 2-3 times a year after it seeds. This is red clay.

I was wondering if instead of cutting it would it help if I let it grow a season so it naturally seeds and spreads or will cutting it encourage growth?

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

isawlogs

Bill, where you "scalped " it you took away the top soil, little there was is important for anything to grow. I would sugest that you get a few balles of hay, put that though a shredder mix in some seeds and spread this on the " bald " spots. and let it grow till its six inches before cutting to about four inches.
  Neighbour here put a dozer to a field to level it so the soya head could be used , where he used the dozernothing grew for two years. The after that it was very scare what did.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Agreed Marcel, I didn't really know what I was doing except clearing the trees and having a blast running the dozer. Again Hind sight....

I have put out some old rolls of hay a farmer gave me.

I don't cut now till it's about 2-3 Ft the seeds are about level with the radiator on my tractor. Was thinking that if I let it grow all summer without cutting that might help. Where it did catch the grass is thick.

isawlogs

It sure will.  :)
    Its good to have hind sight, I have a whack of that, I just wish sometimes frontsights would kick in sooner  :-\ ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Autocar

What a beutiful view ! Bill
Bill

WDH

I agree with Marcell.  You need some kind of mulch or cover to keep the seeds from washing away.  The problem is that on the red clay scalped parts, the environment is too harsh for seeds to take hold, so a covering like hay will create a better seed bed.  When mowing, just raise the mower in these areas until the grass takes hold. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MHineman

You might try some annual rye grass along with the hay or straw since it sprouts quickly to just get some roots going.  I'm guessing it will be hard to get growing too.  I've seen different types of clover grow where nothing much else seems willing to. 
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

SwampDonkey

Clover will grow were grass wont because they make nitrogen. So, that may be an option along with the mulch in the bald spots.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Versa grass seed would be a better choice in addition to what Marcel and Danny suggested.

Versa Grass Seed

I'll bet the ag supply places around you in TN would carry it.

gspren

When a neighbor complained about a spot where grass won't grow I told them to scrape away the top soil, spray it with grass killer, put down 4" of stone, and then pack it with a tractor.  :o Thats what I did in front of my pole barn and I can't seem to stop the grass from coming up!  :)
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Raider Bill

Thanks guys I'll get another couple rolls of hay to put down.

Norm I'll look for Versa grass. One of the 50 lb bags I spread prior was a mix containing Fescue and orchard grass.

The end result I'm trying for is not a lawn but some nice feed for critters to come graze on so I can watch them from my porch.

The bottom pix was taken last Thanksgiving and the top on 2 weeks ago. It's a great view especially when comparing it to the one I have from my porch in Florida.

Going back to Pistons post about how many trees to knock down around the house this is the area I wish I hadn't taken so many down. 

Norm

See if anyone in the area has a cultipacker to use after you put the seed down Bill, then cover with straw or old hay.

SamB

My experience has been that reseeding is the best option if you want grass and not weeds. Mixing some oats seed or rye with the Kentucky 31 will help it get started and the grain will die out after the first growing season. Also need to be sure the seed is getting into the soil, particularly on the slopes. Another option would be hydro seeding, I've seen grass grow on rocks using this method.

isawlogs

The hay will cover the seeds and hold humidity, this should greatly help out the % of germanation. Is there a white clover that will grow in your area, here, it is one of the good pasture seeds and wildlife love it, does not grow very tall but grows thick and can take abusive grazing.  :P

Marcel

Clam77

I have Zoysia grass in my front yard..  stuff is nice and thick when it's green.. creeps itself out to fill bald spots too.. looks real nice during the green months but turns brown in winter like everything else.

Same stuff they do alot of golf course greens with - critters love that stuff!! 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Clam77 on April 13, 2012, 10:28:31 PM
I have Zoysia grass in my front yard..  stuff is nice and thick when it's green.. creeps itself out to fill bald spots too.. looks real nice during the green months but turns brown in winter like everything else.

Same stuff they do alot of golf course greens with - critters love that stuff!!

Canadian Geese will tear it all to pieces!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Clam77

:D  Make some good yearly bait for thanksgiving dinner then!!   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

SwampDonkey

Them old tough greasy things aren't the best of eating.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I planted white clover is another area. It seems to be doing real well and is starting to bring in the game there.
On my existing fescue should I let it grow a season and not cut it back or cut when it seeds out?

Norm

Unless you're going to bale it I'd let it go.

Don_Papenburg

Yep leave it grow .  let it reseed  .  Get a good pasture mix or a wildlife mix that has several verieties of seeds .  Like Ladino clover for the deer turnups and radish along with other clovers and grasses .  put it in with a nurse crop of oats . you can cut the oats in the late summer after they are ripe ,with a bushhog and spread the seed around and it will regrow for a fall covercrop to help the prefered crop grow.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!