iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low production log/ good job

Started by cypresskayaksllc, April 11, 2012, 11:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresskayaksllc

I had a job out in the sticks at a hunting camp last couple of days. Cypress logs dragged out of the swamp, 20'6" oak logs for 2X trailer decking and a lot of small diameter 8' cedar logs.
This is why I love portable sawing: I arrive 8:30 am. As soon as I step out of the truck a plate with 2 fried eggs and a sausage is handed to me. After breakfast I set the mill up under some big oak trees. Shade all day. Good help was provided. 1pm and I am directed to the cookshed where burgers and dogs are served. Today was the same, 2 fried eggs and sausage, hamburgers and dogs. The logs where small, some dirty and some way too heavy. But at the end of the day I was happy.

Moral of the story: Good food and shade trees go a long way around here

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

cypresskayaksllc

The only thing wrong with breakfast: No grits?

Side note, One of the carpenters working of the hunting lodge had an lt40. The engine was non operational but said to be repairable and he said everything else worked (dc motors etc). Said he got it for 850 dollars! Sounds hotter than a 2 dollar pistol to me

Okrafarmer

Whoa I would definitely want a nice bill of sale and to see the drivers' license for a deal that good.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

customsawyer

Great job. I would definitely be calling WM on that mill before I wrote the check.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WildDog

It goes to show its not always about the money, a nice work environment and careing clients goes a long way.

QuoteI had a job out in the sticks

Out in the sticks is a common phrase down here,
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Al_Smith

Well as far as those grits good old fried taters would more suit most of us yankees . 8)

Magicman

That kind of a saw job is what keeps me sawing.  Good location, good logs, and a good customer.....plus the food.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Sounds like a good sawing job to me. Even without the grits.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

Great deal!  A job like that makes it all worth it, doesn't it?  Folks like that make my day every time.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

cypresskayaksllc

I forgot to add this little side story. The transmission on the truck had been acting up. In and out of gear sort of thing. Took it to my mechanic and he replaced a couple wheel speed sensors. Worked for a day but then it went back to acting up. This came up in conversation while I was at this job and one of the guys there suggested I check my batteries. Sure enough, switched out a battery and now its working right. cant beat that.  8)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on April 12, 2012, 09:21:43 PM
I forgot to add this little side story. The transmission on the truck had been acting up. In and out of gear sort of thing. Took it to my mechanic and he replaced a couple wheel speed sensors. Worked for a day but then it went back to acting up. This came up in conversation while I was at this job and one of the guys there suggested I check my batteries. Sure enough, switched out a battery and now its working right. cant beat that.  8)

Whoa. Who would have thought? What kind of transmission was it?

WDH

Nothing like hospitality and treating people with respect, even if they forgot the grits.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

here we go again with them grits :D isn't that what the debarker does is get rid of grits? ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

why would man put grits in the bark? :D hey do grits grow under an umbrella? like the kind that go on a woodmizer

WDH

I have seen an umbrella growing on a woodmizer, but never grits.

red oaks lumber

does some one have a picture of an umbrella on a woodmizer? :) without  grits

cypresskayaksllc

[/quote]

Whoa. Who would have thought? What kind of transmission was it?
[/quote]
It is a 98.5 dodge cummins transmission.

Okrafarmer

ok. Was wondering if it were an Allison.

Magicman

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 12, 2012, 10:37:36 PM
does some one have a picture of an umbrella on a woodmizer? :) without  grits

Look Ma, No Hands Grits.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

oh its the toofer :D maybe its ok to have a umbrella i dont see grits 8)

WDH

Magicman

Didn't get mine 'cause we had grits for supper.  Along with a couple of fried eggs, sausage, toast with pear preserves.   food6

Thank You Sponsors!