iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mattresses

Started by Wudman, April 11, 2012, 09:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

It's time for a new mattress.  My body can tell that it's not a teenager anymore and I don't sleep very well either.  Anybody have any comments on a particular mattress that they really like?  Thanks for any help.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

John Mc

I got a Tempurpedic mattress about 8 years ago, and love it.  I was having some neck and back troubles and not sleeping very well. I can't say it solved everything, but it certainly helped a good bit.  They used to have a free trial period. I don't know if they still have it or not.

One thing to watch out for: these mattresses are temperature sensitive. My parents tried one and hated it - but they kept their bedroom in the low 50's in the winter, so the mattress was like a rock.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Texas Ranger

Pasterpedic did wonders for my back.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

We now have memory foam pads on all of out mattresses.  It surely helps the old hips when I sleep on my side.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GoStumpy

I have a Memory-Foam Mattress, and LOVE it.  Give them a look!

Clam77

I have a Kingsdown brand.  Pillow-top on both sides - super comfy. 

I've heard good things about those sleep number beds too.  Everyone I've talked to says they fall asleep rather quickly on them and sleep all night without rolling around and whatnot.  Bit out of my price range though.    :-\
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Wudman

Thanks guys.  I have been looking at the memory foam mattresses.  I think I'll take a closer look. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

tcsmpsi

I use a cotton, batted 4" futon mattress.   On my second one, in the last 40 yrs or so.  My ex got my first one.  :)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

bandmiller2

We have a temperpedic knock off memory foam.they take a little getting used to.Have at least one good thick breathable pad on the mattress outerwise you will feel hot and sweaty.I like ours and consider it better than springs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Raider Bill

There's a huge mark-up on mattresses so play the game when you buy. Look around.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

John Mc

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 12, 2012, 09:05:34 AM
We have a temperpedic knock off memory foam.they take a little getting used to.Have at least one good thick breathable pad on the mattress outerwise you will feel hot and sweaty.I like ours and consider it better than springs. Frank C.

I've never noticed the hot and sweaty problem on our Tempurpedic. We keep the padding to a minimum, since the whole point is that your body heat helps mold the foam to you. It's just the thin zip-up liner that came with it, and a fitted sheet. We did find it was too soft for our liking on hot summer nights (we generally don't use air conditioning), so we sometimes add a cotton mattress pad in the heat of the summer. This seems to insulate it a bit from our body heat, so it doesn't sag too easily.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

okmulch

Any body have a sleep number? We need a new mattress, and my wife wants a sleep number bed.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

RynSmith

We have a Sleep Number and like it very much.  One 'secret' that they may or may not tell you is that you don't have to buy the little thingies that tell you your number - think we saved ~ $500 that way (if I recall).  So, basically, we just inflate/deflate until it feels good but don't know for a fact that it's right on 35 or whatever my number is.  ::)

*edit - my husband doesn't think we saved that much (it's been several years), but it was a good chunk of change whatever it was.

Al_Smith

Sealy posture-pedic on a platform bed .About like sleeping on a padded pool table .

Quite a change from a water bed of which you sleep in not on .Roll over ,make a big wave and nearly toss the Mrs out the other side .Kinda like the motion of the ocean depending on the circumstances .

Riggs

Quote from: okmulch on April 12, 2012, 10:25:23 AM
Any body have a sleep number? We need a new mattress, and my wife wants a sleep number bed.

We just got one, I haven't slept this good since I was a kid.

Quote from: RynSmith on April 12, 2012, 11:28:36 AM
We have a Sleep Number and like it very much.  One 'secret' that they may or may not tell you is that you don't have to buy the little thingies that tell you your number - think we saved ~ $500 that way (if I recall).  So, basically, we just inflate/deflate until it feels good but don't know for a fact that it's right on 35 or whatever my number is.  ::)

Wish I had've known that a few weeks ago.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

beenthere

We have the sleep number, and I also haven't slept this good in years. Glad we made the decision.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

We have had the sleep number bed sense before they had the numbers. I think 15 years plus. Love it. And it seems to work fine without the numbers ;D
A tactic that we used to get the price down on ours;
We called them and asked for information, the sent it right to us with pricing. We waited for them to call, I knew they would, and told them it was just too much $$ for us. They called back a week later with a lower price, again I told them it was too much $$. Another week they called with another price, OK, we'll take it. If I remember correctly it started at $1995 and we paid $1095.
As Raider said, most furnature has a HUGE mark up, play the game and get a good price on whatever you decide.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

okmulch

Thanks for the input. My mom and dad have one and they like it a lot, just thought I would get some more information on the beds before committing.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

cinnabar

Comfort Aire,  had it for 7 years great mattress.

florida

Just went through the mattress search myself and bought two Comfort Dreams Queen memory foam mattresses from Overstock.com.
Also check out http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/
for great reviews and explanations. Temperpedic at $4,000.00 got a rating of 81, the Comfort Dreams got a rating of 80 and cost $327.00 delivered to my door. We've been sleeping on the Firm mattress for about 3 months now and love it.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

MHineman

Quote from: moosehunter on April 12, 2012, 03:39:53 PM
If I remember correctly it started at $1995 and we paid $1095.
I'm still using my waterbed.  I think the current mattress is 80% waveless and cost about $150.  I thought about the sleep number beds, but I think costs about $70 per year to heat it so it would take about 14 years to make up the difference.
  Besides I love the warm bed in the winter and it is cool in the summer.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

SwampDonkey

I bought a mattress years ago and I don't know the brand. I have not slept on it for 12 years or so, but it was the best mattress I ever had. It's on a larger bed than I use these days. But it sure is comfy.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

"A hard days work will put feathers in any old bed" Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

Danged water bed was always getting holes in it ,former wife .I'd find all kinds of goodies like ear rings stuck in it .

You have to let the water out ,patch the danged thing and put the water back in .Takes a tad bit to do .

So I'd get-er-done but forget to check the level and the thing would look like a pregnant elephant with so much water .Let some out and forget again and deflate the whole thing .

The heaters would go bad,same deal fiddling around with it .You can't run one without a heater unless you want to wake up with more aches and pains that you started out with before you tried to get some sleep .I miss them about as much as a tooth ache .

Patty

We bought a Tempurpedic mattress about 3 years ago. The price was ridiculously high. We keep our bedroom cold, and as someone mentioned earlier, that sucker is like a rock in cold temperatures. However once your body heat warms it up a bit, it is a very comfortable mattress...I like the pillow as well.

Are they over-priced? Not only yes, but h%ll yes! But we have no more backaches, or sore hips. So I guess if you can put a price on painless sleep, they are worth every penny.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!