iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clearing for a house lot.... How do you decide which trees NOT to cut?

Started by Piston, April 11, 2012, 12:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

Quote from: Holmes on April 12, 2012, 12:24:42 AM
You may want to consider the views you can get from your house location. Can you look from the top of a hill, or down a valley or at a mountain?

That's another part of my dilemma between the two house spots I've picked out.  The spot that is more in the hardwoods would have more of a view of the mountains/valley, about 230 degree view or so, which I would love.  The only downside of that is the lot drops off fairly quickly at that point, which means I wouldn't have much of a backyard.  Also, I know how easy sound travels on a quiet night in the mountains, and I think if I had a fully open view, I may hear other people/cars easier, and vice versa.

The spot in the pines is a little further from the drop off part.  This would mean I'd have less of a view, maybe only 60-120 degrees or so, however we'd have a nice backyard, and wouldn't have to worry as much about sound traveling.  I might be looking into this a little too deep but those are some of the things I think about. 

I think I'll have a lot better idea and much stronger preference as to where to put the house once I get some trees down and can picture it a little better. 

Andrew, thanks for the suggestions for the different colors, I'll pick up some tape at tractor supply on my way up.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Piston

I should mention that the views are mainly to the North.  The closer I get to the 'dropoff' it becomes more of a view from the West, to the North, to the East, and maybe Southeast a little bit. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a view to the south, that is a whole nother topic  :D  I'm struggling with good views to the north, but the desire for passive solar to the south.... I never thought there would be so many decisions to make!  And I haven't even STARTED on the house yet  :D :D :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

wheelinguy

More lawn does equal  less flying-biting insects.  Before we removed the big  stand of pines around our house the black flies and other nasties would literally be bouncing off the truck windows trying to get at you when you pulled in the yard.  Now if you stay out of the shade of the big trees your pretty safe.  If you are going to have a steep driveway cut a wider swath of trees, this will allow more sun in to thaw it sooner and help any sand you put onthe ice to get more bite (with the suns help).  Also if you happen to slip off the driveway in the truck you will be less apt to hit a tree, trust me on this one we have a steep driveway and I may have been off it more than once on icy days. :o

jdonovan

Quote from: Piston on April 11, 2012, 10:46:49 PM
As far as marking the trees I want to leave, what should I use for that?  If I use spray paint, will it be visible on the tree for years or will it go away after a year or so? 
Should I use ribbon? 

Depends how long you need the marks to stay.
Spray paint will fade in time, but it takes a long time... if you do use this method paint the 'back' as viewed from the house.
Ribbon is good, but only lasts a year or two, less if the critters chew on it.

Most celphones have GPS apps... if you're in need of < 10' precision, that will work fine, and then you have a map of coordinates in case the markings go away.

g_man

I am in the Littleton area just north of your new place. In my experience you get far far fewer bugs in a large cleared area that is mowed. Even partial shade invites black flts, mosquitoes, and the worst, deer flys. If it is not mowed they stay in the damp grass and the shade it offers.
You might also want to think about the value, or lack there of,of  shade to the south. In the summer the sun is very high. To be effective at shading the house the trees need to be pretty close. In the winter the sun is very low. It's warming effect is very welcome so you need the trees far away to prevent shading. We prefer to have it wide open to the south. We dont have that much really hot weather but we do have a lot of cold weather and every ray of sun on the house and in the window is a blessing.

Magicman

Sure views are important, and maintaining views from certain areas is OK but to me for example, the passive solar to the South is more important.  You also my have the direction of the prevailing wind that you want to either maintain by not cutting or eliminate by cutting.

I would use ribbon, and as I said earlier, I would cut "too few" at first.  I would analyze each tree and look at split trees (forked) limbs, and any possible defects.  Also take particular care and not knock the bark off of any trees. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

That stone wall is a unique and beautiful feature of the site.  I would take it into consideration so that your chosen location features the wall in the landscape. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

We put our house in for the view. I just felt we was going to live here for years might as well see something. Not much sun comes into our house,but that is also good in the summer months. Some years the air conditioner is only used for a week. By the way I run my power under ground to the house the last 100 feet. Just a thought too,I have no idea how your power company is but you may want to get them there for a plan. Cost me $5000 for 500 feet. Another idea too,a good idea to put your oil fill by where you have to clear snow. One less path you will need. Remember too the well has to be so many feet from your septic.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

When my logger and I used to clear house lots for builders we'd wait till the surveyor would layout the house corners and the center line of the driveway. He's also layout the septic area and the reserve area. I haven't seen anyone mention the reserve area but we'd clear that as well up front as it would need to be done some day anyhow. And it's cheaper to take a tree down now then after the house is built.

The builder would establish a ring around the house corners and say take down everything within X number of feet from the house. And usually a different X number of feet from around the septic and reserve area.

He would also tell us how wide to make the driveway.

We would start by thinning out all the small stuff and get the lot open so that we could drive around it with my backhoe to haul out the wood. We'd cut the firewood usually to 4' lengths to split and dry in 4' pieces.

We label the "ring" around each spot with ribbon. And say everything inside this ring comes down. This saves tagging every tree. And with ribbon around the tree you can see each one from wherever you stand in the lot.

After we had most of them down, or before we were done, we'd ask that the future home owner if it as a custom build, come and mark any trees that they wanted down, as well. They'd have a different color ribbon so we'd know who marked it.

We also look at all the trees left standing after we were about done. Any tree leaning in would be removed as it will grow 10 times faster and larger now that the space is opened up to the sunlight and less competition for water with the roots.

As mentioned before we also look around the perimeter ring for the "Ds" that is dead, deformed, deceased and sometimes the dominate ones and take them out.

We would haul all the logs out and stack them roadside for the logging truck or I'd haul them with my dump truck or flatbed trailer.

I'd carry the tops over to the chipper and we'd chip the brush there only leaving a yard of short stumps as most builders used excavators to remove the stumps and didn't need tall ones to push over with a bulldozer.

When harvesting trees to make logs for milling the old timer told me to set my chainsaw on the ground; roll it onto it's side, and start cutting. That's how short he wanted to see my pine stumps.

Piston, I'm available if you want me to come up some morning or afternoon to look at your lot with you.

Jim Rogers 
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Piston

Every time I've checked this post I've read some more extremely good information.  I just want to thank everyone for giving me some GREAT advice.  Lots of things I never would have thought of were brought up. 

It's great to be able to get so many different views and opinions from you guys.  It really is helpful.  ;D
-Matt

OntarioAl

Piston
I see several others agree that an expanse of lawn helps keep the bugs at bay.
Nothing gives me greater pleasure in the bug wars then when the dragonflies show up. They snag the deer and horse flies out of the air then land and chow down....yessss!
How can you can tell that I have been an unwilling donor of blood and flesh to those demon flies over the years.
Al
Al Raman

Piston

Is there a specific type of tree that may or may not attract the flying pests?  Or is it mostly just the shade of the trees as mentioned?
-Matt

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Quote from: WDH on April 12, 2012, 09:42:29 PM
Whatever you do, then, do not leave any black locust  :D.

could do worse and leave honey locust.. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

That is true.  Then the plague of locusts would be thorny :D.

Piston

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 12, 2012, 10:05:17 AM
Piston, I'm available if you want me to come up some morning or afternoon to look at your lot with you.

Jim Rogers

....sent you an email Jim  ;D
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!