iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Patrol Box

Started by metalspinner, April 10, 2012, 11:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Camping seems to have taken over my weekends since my oldest son has moved onto Boy Scouts from Cub scouts.

For those uninitiated to the Boy Scout way of life, the organization is supposed to be boy led. The adult leadership teaches, but the boys activities are supposed to be run by the scouts themselves.  Which can be quite amusing when it comes time to make menus and shopping lists, go grocery shopping and watch the boys cook. :D Of course, the adults guide them a bit along the way, but ultimately, they have to make their own decisions and live with the consequences. I'll save the "Boiled Bacon" story for another day. :D :D The "Mom Prepared Cooked Chicken" story is another classic in our troop. :D :D

Anyway,  the boys are off on their side of the camp sight cooking their meals with their equipment (more on that later). The leadership needed a patrol box, so I stepped up and cobbled something together. ;D

It's made of walnut and has a cooking side and a serving side.

The legs are white oak and slide up into an angled socket.  The legs are braced with a cross member and a half lap joint. 

A removable shelf slips onto each side for extra work surfaces. 

I don't know if all this stuff will fit??? 

Of course, it does with plenty of room to spare. :)

Here's a video for a little tour through the kitchen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sV-CWBMmqw&feature=youtu.be

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Raider Bill

Chris,

Your workmanship, leadership and dedication to your Sons amaze me. You are a GREAT Father.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Red Pill

zopi

Nice! I wanted to build one on wheels for the girl scouts troops, as I was doing a bunch of the cooking (much better than making hemp bracelets.) when my wife and girls had some sort of spat with the administration and bailed on the whole thing.

I did come out of it with a nice set of cooking gear though. Never did get to build the patrol box.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

metalspinner

Bil,
I'm just trying my best. I know at some point they will push me back a bit, but until then, I'll keep as close as I can.

Zopi,
I considered some sort of wheeled system.  But this really doesn't make it too far off the beaten path. It really is convenient to have everything in one spot ready to go. It's small enough to set in the boat and motor off to some secluded spot, too. ;)  I already have a couple of sights circled on my map. ;)

Jemclimber

Very nice, design and craftsmanship.
lt15

Magicman

Terrific Chris.  The idea as well as the craftsmanship.  It is amazingly similar to one that I built in 1966 from plans from Popular Mechanic.  I gave it away or more accurately, it was not returned after the last person borrowed it.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

Ouch, MM.

I know how much (I think) I have spent an all the stuff in this box.  To have it walk away like that is quite a hit in the wallet.

Axe Handle Hound

As always, beautiful work.  I remember my dad building one similar to that when I was young and we were camping more often. 

metalspinner

Our troop is fairly new and a bit unorganized.  But we took care of that last week. :)

Here are some pics of the trailer all geared up and ready to go. To load the trailer, everything has to be placed in its proper position and in the right order.  Otherwise, it all will not fit. Each of these pics are posted on the inside of the door with very specific instructions on how the trailer is to be loaded.

Level 1...

Level 2

Level 3

As you can tell, we have three patrols.  Each patrol has their own kitchen box (level one onthe bottom), propane cylinder, camp stove, waterjug, ice chest, water cooler, folding table, and plastic tote for gear.

The other items are troop gear like canopy shelter, tarps, etc. There is still plenty of room in this 4' x 8' trailer. Our Scout master didn't think I could get it all in there. ;)

While building the patrol boxes, my camera battery was dead, so I don't have those pics, but will soon. It has basic kitchen cooking supplies - pot sets, utensils, mixing bowls, etc.

I delivered the trailer last night to their scout meeting, but I didn't have time to stay. They went through it all in a mock camp set up and teardown.  That was the dress rehearsal.  This weekend will be the performance at another camp out.

beenthere

Looks like fun. For sure it keeps the adults busy and entertained.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

That looks some nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 10, 2012, 11:54:08 AM
Chris,

Your workmanship, leadership and dedication to your Sons amaze me. You are a GREAT Father.

+10!  Wow....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

T Welsh

metalspinner, Your hard work and dedication will pay off in spades when your son reaches maturity. Scouting teaches young boys the way down the right path in life. My father was our scoutmaster and was double hard on me! and now I know why. My hats off to you! Tim

Magicman

I was never an actual leader, but a "helper Dad".  Marty and I spent many weekends together on campouts.

And we are still doing it in Colorado each year in October.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Chris,

I have three daughters all three years apart, and my wife was troop leader for three troops.  I know all about those camping trips.  It was tough enough with girls; I can't imagine what it is like with boys  :).  We were nowhere as organized as you are.  Hats off to you!

Then, to go and make a cooking box, and to make it out of walnut, wide plank stock no less, and to dovetail it, and make all the accoutrements perfectly designed for task says that you are a man who knows how to do things right and with a flair and with an eye towards beauty!

Once again, I am impressed!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

I hope your boys got the chance to help you with the box a bit.   What they and their Dad built for the troop can be a forever connection. 8)

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

metalspinner

Lud,
My oldest helped out quite a bit.  He likes to catch the boards on the outfeed side of the planer and drum sander.

W,
I didn't mention the 18" wide walnut, but I'm glad you noticed. :D  You know what's interseting?  Each plywood patrol box I made for the boys cost me 2x's the money that the walnut box cost.

I had this box done - other than the finish - for our last camp out. Here is the first meal we cooked...

We kind of overdid it with this meal, but boy was it good. ;D

Here was the next mornings pancakes.  We called these BackCountry Flapjacks. One ofthe other guys had some trailmix we sprinkled in there.

One of the other assistant scoutmasters called me OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  "No, No," I said. "I'm OCO - Obsessive Compulsive Order." ::) ::)

Raider Bill

If every other Parent out there put 1/4 the effort and dedication you do into their children the country would be in a much better place.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Patty

What Raider said....

Good on you Metal!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

zopi

CDO. in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!