iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inground swimming pool at my house soon. hopefully.

Started by semologger, April 09, 2012, 10:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

I know this is the forestry forum but i know some of you have to have pools. Like norm I seen that pool next to that pitchure head on here next to a beautiful wife nice.
Well me and my wife are thinking of a 20 by 40 inground pool. We are going to go with the vinal liner not the fiberglass. We figure with 4 kids we will get years of enjoyment out of it. Here in southeast Mo we are water people we love being in the water even though it about killed me breaking my neck diving in the river ha.
Does anyone know the price of keeping one up and the cons of haveing one? Ive heard people say they are way to expensive and alot of work. We are going to get the automatic cleaner and possibly the cooler for the 100 degree days. Thanks semo.

Banjo picker

yep its expensive to keep up...yep its a lot of work...yep I wish you had mine...That having been said if you have the bound too's , which is much worse that the can't help its... I will say that the main thing you will need to do is keep the ph of the water right...If the ph is right the algie won't be too much of a problem...so keep a close watch on that...Ours is concrete pool and usually on start up we have to put in about 20 boxes or more of baking soda...its the same as the pool chem. and cost less...get a good test kit and use it regularly...
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Mooseherder

We have a Pool.
My wife may have one again but I would never have one again. ;D
Save your money for something else.  (I know you won't listen to me so go ahead and get a pool  :D)
Get a fiberglass pool with a seperate line for the creepy crawler if you get a Pool.
I did owner builder for ours and saved a lot of money but wouldn't do it again.
Pools are about useless if you ask me but I know you ain't listening. ;D
And get some nice pool acutrements. :D

WDH

You can put in a fire pit or burn barrel next to the pool so that you can burn any money if you have any left over  :).  Also, make sure that there are plenty of trees nearby so that the bugs can have some nice leaves to eat in the water.

You can see that I am not a fan of pools, and I don't even own one.  You should not ask a bunch of old guys advice about a pool because pools are young people's mistakes.  Us old guys know better because we already made the same mistakes years ago  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Yup, I was about your age when we got a poohhhl.
We just bought a Pool fence so the Grandbaby don't go into at a momentary lapse of OMG.
Yup, Pools is FUN.  ;D

Rocky_Ranger

I'd get another one in a New York minute - but get a salt water pool.  Google the thing and read up on the works.  Sand filter, balance during opening in the spring (usually around 200 - 300 dollars) then the "Pool Pilot" tells you to add so many pounds of salt (usually 80#'s or so) about three times during the summer.  We had a 20 X 40 and loved it.  The "Pool Pilot"  breaks down the sodium and the chloride to release the free chlorine.  You wi8ll never get the smell or stains from the chlorine tablets.  Yes, it's still a lot of work (saltwater is about the same as a hot tub).  Yes, it does get full of leaves and needles when the summer storms come in.  But man, on those hot, sultry days they are nice..... Take a look at the different operating systems, like using an "Octopus"; and, the newer systems.
RETIRED!

Mooseherder

Come to think of it the best thing about our pool is how many bugs it kills.
I bet this thing has killed minimum a Billion Bugs since it's inception.
I knowd dis cause I's cleans da filter. ;D

whiskers

our 18 x 36 vinyl liner in ground pool cost around a hundred a month minimum, not counting the additional insurance. It's a wet hole in the ground you throw money into. Our grands enjoy it and but for them it would be a flower garden, Nearly lost my Lab when he fell in last winter. No one ever drowns in a flower garden. Just my nickels worth.........
many irons in the fire.........

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

See that nice cover?  Thats another $700...  See the fence  that keeps the deer off the $700 cover.  You will have to run a fair sized elect. motor between 8 and 12 hours a day ... how much is your elect bill now?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

clearcut

I have an inground 20X40 pool with a vinyl liner. My suggestions:

Avoid the vinyl liner. They do not last as long as the warranty and the exclusions mean you will be buying a new liner every few years. The vinyl liner is the one thing I dislike about my pool. It is something I have to pay someone to replace - it is simply too much work.

Go smaller. If this is just a place to cool off and the kids to have fun, a smaller pool works just as well. Most of your operating costs will decrease significantly. Only if you are determined to do laps regularly should you consider a larger pool.

Get a salt water chlorine generator system. It keeps the chlorine at an effective level and makes the pool much easier to maintain.

Budget for a solar blanket and reel. It will warm the water quicker in the spring, extend the season into the fall, and keep the pool cleaner during the season. Leave it off when the weather get hotter.

Automatic pool cleaners are your friend. The ones with a dedicated pump are more effective and expensive.

Budget for a fence to keep the kids and critters out. We almost lost our dog one night.

It is easier to maintain balance (pH, chlorine, alkalinity) than it is to achieve or recover from an imbalance. Get a good test kit, and test often.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

isawlogs

We have a ciment in ground pool here thatts every thing close to 20x40. We also found out that frost can heave a pool made of ceement, yes sir , it picked it up and lifted one corner 7¾"  enough that I had to put a new basket in if we wanted to use the pool again. Had to cut into the ceeement and frame another one in there 7¾" lower.

Would I get another pool. you bet ya I would but it sure won't be an outdoor pool, that thing will be indoors.  I want to use it year round it sure dont need be 20X40 but it will be close to that.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jdtuttle

I built our inground pool about 10 years ago. Don't know about the cost to run but we get alot of enjoyment from it. I did alot of research and did a sports pool. No diving board, insurance company may make you take it out. A sport pool has two shallow ends and deeper in the middle, about 5'. There is a ledge around the inside of the pool for exercising. It's really great when we play volley ball. The big kids are in the deep water & young ones in shallow.
jim
Have a great day

snowstorm

my best day of pool owner ship was the day i smashed it with the excavator an buried it. mine was fiberglass. sounds like a good idear. it might be in the south. in maine its not. frost high ground water list list goes on. in a place with no frost all sand so perfect drainage glass would be great. i would like to know is how they get them level. the one i had didnt have a stright line on it anywhere

mooleycow

well you read what the folks says here. seems sound advice what comes is you is walking a slippery slope.  cement pond is fun as long as it is somebodys elsie. 

okmulch

Well, I love my pool! it is some work to get started every year, but once it is going it is fairly easy to take care of. There is nothing better then getting home from work, showering off and laying in the pool drinking a beer after a dusty 100 degree day in Oklahoma.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

thecfarm

Make sure the pump is big enough to circulate the water. The wife had a pool and the pump was not quite enough to move the water all the way back to the intake. All the dirt would stop about 4 feet from the intake. I kinda miss it. But when I would come home from a hot day working in the woods I would have to take a shower before jumping in the pool.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rocky_Ranger

Electric usage per month for us was about $30.00.  That included the salt water generator and the circulating pump that ran on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs.  Pump was 220 volt and about 30 gallons/minute.  That pump also operated the skimmers and circulated the bottom drain, forced water thorugh the chlorinating cell, sand filter, etc.   You don't own a pool to save money - they'll run ya $500.00/year plus electricity.  There are several types of covers; some you can walk on and some that do a pretty good job of keeping the pool clean over winter.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages.  I always wished for a solar cover to warm it up a little earlier.  Having a diving board was an added attraction  - as already mentioned on here some insurance companies won't cover a diving board, some it didn't make any difference.  Fencing is a must, as is security for unwanted entries; be that bear, deer, or yard apes.
RETIRED!

Bogue Chitto

I have one.  Use the $$$$ and buy a new sawmill or tractor.  I would fill mine in but the beautiful wife loves it.  ;D 

Bogue Chitto

florida

I have a pool and love it. I didn't want one for years because of the horror stories I heard about upkeep and costs. Bah. I didn't clean the filter the first year i had it because no one told me i had to, no problems at all. I've never checked the PH and haven't had any problems. I check the chlorine every couple of years and every now and then my automatic injector runs out and i have to shock the pool. I bought a auto pool cleaner from Lowes for $200.00 5 years ago expecting it to last a year or two. I replace the skirt every year and it still works great. I'm sure the pool adds to my electric bill but it can't be much.
I do have a screen enclosure which keeps leaves out but my wife has potted pants all around the deck that make up the difference.
Love my pool and get it it every day that the water is above 78 or 79. if you have kids or grandkids you'll get your money's worth the first summer.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Banjo picker

Shouldn't that have started out :  A long time ago in a land far far away?   ;)  Banjo

semologger

Thanks for all the replys. We are looking forward to this. Some of the good things i can think of with this are.
We drive to my sisters river cabin almost every day durring the summer. It takes us about 20 minutes to get there. So thats 40 minutes round trip gone everyday just sitting in a car plus gas. We arent the type to go there and not bring food for supper so there is more money gone.
Also thinking of the future as far as my kids go. There is not an public pool here in my town just a river. So whos house are my kids friends going to go to Ours. Its alot easier to keep an eye on my kids when they are in the back yard.

The river is Current river and its a very nice river cold cold river but nice. People come all around to float and boat on it. And i mean everywere its crowded as it can be. So if my sister sells here cabin like they have wanted to for the last couple of years . The only place i have to take my kids to swim i have to bump elbows with the next person. Or the waves from the boat flying by knocks my kids under the water and they get swept down river. 
It might be a little more work and cost alot of money and i might get like some of you on here and just want to fill the Dang thing in a few years. But As long as i can make my family happy And feal a little more safe than the river. It will be all worth it.
Also the river does scare my wife alot because 2 years ago we watched a 15 year old boy drown across the river from us and there was nothing anyone could do about it. She asked me what those boys were doing i said trying to swim across the river. I said not smart its to swift there. not more than 3 minutes later we heard all the screaming and him screaming hes drowning Help. It took the divers about 8 hours to find him down river.

MartyParsons

Hello,
My wife and 19 year old son installed a 20x40 in ground pool last summer. She did everything but dig the hole. I did help some but not much. She spent many hours doing research. She did have some mentors along the way. This year we need to complete the landscape around it. We are also working on the heating system. It will be with wood!
I ( she has) have many, many pictures. If I get a chance I may post them.
I was a great experience for them.
It also a great leaf catcher in the winter! I got to clean the cover last week. We still have not opened it. I think it is about 40 degrees here today and snow flurries.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

SamB

Sounds like the decision has been made the pool is going to happen :). Some negatives and positives have been stated, here's my experience from 28 years ago. Bought a 24 foot round above ground pool with expandable liner which allowed additional depth [6 ½ feet]. Kids  used it for 8 years 3 or 4 very little due to cool summers. Took it down and gave to daughter and SIL, they used it 4 or 5 years and sold to friend. If I were to make the capital investment in another pool it would be heated and enclosed so it could be used year around and that would be only if I win the lottery. Hard to put a price on entertainment, memories and education. ;D 

Thank You Sponsors!