iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unusual looking Coffee Table

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 09, 2012, 09:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I found a Red Oak log next to swamp bottoms. Brought it to the mil and sawed it up. This log was FULL of mice and ALL kinds of buggy critters.

What I kept was solid. I sprayed it with Raid until all the bugs were gone and then pressure washed it. Took UGLY wood and made at least something. I sure hated to burn it.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

David,

You are very creative.  That is a fine rescue from the rats and bugs, and a beautiful table!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

I would be tempted to call that "pecky" red oak.  Pretty sharp looking.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

I like it and I bet lots of other folks would as well...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

jueston

123maxbars

Nice Job! Good looking table, nice craftsmanship, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

Yes, very unusual, but also strikingly pretty.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

T Welsh

POSTONLT40HD, Character ;D. And lots of it. Tim

SAWMILL BUDDY

SwampDonkey

Keep the mice and bugs away. They may want back in. :D ;)

Did good with the table.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Misfit

Nice workmanship and a nice looking piece of furniture.  smiley_thumbsup
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

metalspinner

That is a good looking bench! 8)

Plans for the rest of the lumber? Accessorize with a picture frame, maybe? :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Radar67

Quote from: fishpharmer on April 09, 2012, 10:42:31 PM
I would be tempted to call that "pecky" red oak.

More like Swiss Oak.  ;) :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: metalspinner on April 10, 2012, 09:55:34 AM
That is a good looking bench! 8)

Plans for the rest of the lumber? Accessorize with a picture frame, maybe? :)

Hummm.......good thought.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

That's a great save and a fine looking table. It definitely has character.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Lud

Nice table.

I've wondered if you could put boards in a vacuum bag like the veneer folks use ( I don't have one).  Could you spray killer on the boards and suck the air out to get a better kill?

Maybe boiling water?   What's the best kill?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

I think that in most cases, fully drying the wood kills these beetle larvae as they need some moisture.  Very different than powderpost beetles which only infest dry lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

I really like that Poston, good job!

Migal

Sweet save ! Great imagination  8) Ive got some pine that I sawed and didn't want to burn that was ate up by the time my mill arrived but have kept leaning against a tree on cedar scraps that i want to do something just like that.  8)

guess its hard to see em

Here are some others that are hard to see lol

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Dan_Shade

I saw a Virginia Tech article on vacuum to kill insects.

However, I had a board with a powderpost larvae that I put under a 20"Hg vacuum overnight, but it didn't kill the bugger.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sparky1

thats a great looking table!!!!  deffinelty one of a kind!!
Shaun J

jamesamd

Thats A great save.
Well done,David !!!! 8) 8) 8)
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Okrafarmer

Just don't let anybody spill coffee on that coffee table, as it could be a little hard to clean up.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!