iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poulan pro saws?

Started by hisliptree3, April 09, 2012, 08:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hisliptree3

hi, I'm looking at buying my first gas chainsaw. I'm interested in a forestry career and i think its time to learn how to properly run and maintenance one. i have about 3-5 years experience running my dads husky and jonsreds saws. but any way recently i saw a poulan pro 20inch for 179$ which i thought was cheap. a buddy of mine has the 18 inch poulan pro and loves it, he says he's had it for 3 years and it runs like a champ.

so does anyone own a 16-20 inch poulan, and do you think its a good starter saw? I've got a 2 acre stand to thin out and i don't want to do it by hand saw, thats for sure! thank you for any info regarding theses saws or any other saw recommendations.

beenthere

If you are familiar with the Husky and Jonsreds, then why not get one of those?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shelbycharger400

the poulan will work for you.  consider it a cheap throw away tho!
poulan's quality is not what it usto be!
your best bet is to find a used model from the late 90's,  you can pick them up for 50 to 100.      i pop'd a 3 wk old pouland earlier this year just cutting pine, mainly just brush.   sad when im using 30 year old saws and they still take a pounding!

Cutting Edge

Like shelbycharger said, its a throw away saw.  It may come with a 20 in bar, but don't expect it to pull that much chain thru wood very well.  Those box store saws just don't have the torque.  Expect to replace the fuel lines with ones that will take this new gas.

Like mentioned before, look at something used.  For what you'll pay for the Poulan, you could pick up a nice used Husky w/ more power, better reliability, and dealer support.  There is peace of mind when you can get parts for your saw...even new ones break down.

Best of luck in your decision
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Cut4fun

The Poulan 5020 50cc is a good saw for the buck. Not a pro built saw though. Built like the stihl ms290 and husky 455 for a lot less $$$. These 2 stihl and husky are not pro built either all are clamshell design.

Al_Smith

Some of the older Poulan  pro saws were built just as robust as higher end saws of today .I had always heard of them but never saw any until last fall at a GTG .

I'm telling you those larger models will hang right in there with the best of them .

Most of us including myself are only familiar with the lesser quality models sold by Sears and Roebuck but at one time Poulan produced some very fine saws .

jackganssle

I've had a Poulan 4218 (18" bar) for about 5 years and it has been a pretty good saw. It hates ripping, though - the long shavings jam the bar oiler. And I had to replace the gas cap as it warped, probably due to the ethanol in today's fuel.

But my MS362 is so much better I can't bring myself to start the Poulan anymore. The Stihl puts a smile on my face when I use it; the Poulan is just a saw.
Woodmizer LT-15

Cut4fun

Quote from: jackganssle on April 10, 2012, 08:57:49 AM
I've had a Poulan 4218 (18" bar) for about 5 years and it has been a pretty good saw. It hates ripping, though - the long shavings jam the bar oiler. And I had to replace the gas cap as it warped, probably due to the ethanol in today's fuel.

But my MS362 is so much better I can't bring myself to start the Poulan anymore. The Stihl puts a smile on my face when I use it; the Poulan is just a saw.

I would hope so comparing a 42cc $130 saw to a 59cc pro grade $700 saw.  :D 

Just to show how wack that sounded. I cant bring myself to run a ms362 59cc after running my ms440 71cc saw.  ;)    Since they are both almost the same weight.   :o ;D

aquacanis

When you say you are starting a career in forestry, do you mean sawing for
6-8 hours per day?  If so buy a 45-60 cc saw second hand or save up some money and buy a new saw for around 500 bucks.  $179. Poulan is not made to cut 8 hr. day 5 days a week in my opinion.  A "lightly used" Stihl or Husky for
a 100-200 bucks are out there if you spend a little time looking.  You would be suprised how many weekend warriors buy a real good saw and use it very little and then decide to sell it.

lumberjack48

I would go on flebay and pick up a 028 WB, or a 029, for 200 or so. Put a add on craigs looking for a saw to buy.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ward Barnes

Howdy:  Another of t he throw away saws is the Wen brand.  Reviews of one I saw today is that the "18 inch" saw is one link short of a full 18 inches so you have to either have someone build a chain for you or purchase a new chain from the folks at Wen to get a chain that fits.  I can get these at 10 percent over store cost (price includes shipping) and unless it is for a known short term project I don't think that one would find a home in my truck.

Forestry carriers can vary from little contact with a saw to full day all week with a saw jobs.  If you would like to do some reading that is geared to the beginning saw user go to About.com and sign up for their 4 day internet course.  It is free and and some good info in it. 

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

CTYank

Quote from: Cut4fun on April 09, 2012, 11:36:03 PM
The Poulan 5020 50cc is a good saw for the buck. Not a pro built saw though. Built like the stihl ms290 and husky 455 for a lot less $$$. These 2 stihl and husky are not pro built either all are clamshell design.

Bought a PP5020AV recently for $180 as a backup. Definitely NOT a throw-away IMHO. Powerful, fuel-efficient (strato-scavenged), effective AV. 15 pounds +, just wish they'd knocked a couple pounds off the weight. Can't have everything.

Air-filter seal needed a bit of help with some silicone. Clutch cover clears chips very nicely when noodling. You need special tool (~$10) to adjust carb mixture. No guesses as to why 40:1 is specified for mix.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

shelbycharger400

a 50cc saw seriously should only have a 16 or 18 in bar on it.   i have noticed this behavior many times over by the box store saws. Consumer is lead on to believe its a "big" saw.  More often than not,  i have had a few of these in the past,  including a craftsman ( 1998 vintage, it has compression like mad, but its always had carb issues cince brand new,  came with a 24,  cut way better with a 20)  a few poulands in the mid to late 90s, the green ones, and wildthings,   came with 20's,  put 18s on them... cut way better.
my deere 50 cc  ,  put a 16 on it, vrs the 18 it had.   factory that saw was rated to have a 16 to 28 inch bar.    You need.... NEED atleast 60 cc with a 20 inch bar,  dont believe me,  full burry that 20 inch bar in a red oak log. Let me know how it works out for you.  Ive been their,  done that. 

AdkStihl

Newer Poulan saws are far from being "Pro" grade saws.
I recommend a STIHL 260/261 OR a Husky 346XP.....both "Pro" grade designs.
There are plenty of knowledgeable saw builders out there that refurbish the above mentioned saws to "like new" condition other than a few cosmetic blemishes. Either one of these saws are right at home wearing a 16" or 18" bar and if need be, can even pull a 20" in a pinch.
Let us know what you decide.  ;)
J.Miller Photography

markd

I worked with a buddy that had a cheap little poulan I use to laugh at him but he loved that thing. He used to run 32 to 1 mix ratio and said that was the key to a long life in a saw. I've been runnin 8 ounces to two gals for 40 years and never blown one yet. And don't say it'll foul plugs cause it never fouls mine,
markd

NCFarmboy

+1 on more oil.  Clean AF, sharp chain, tuned properly, 32-36 to 1 = long life on a saw. JMO.  The clam shells are decent.  On another site there is a long term test on an Efco 152 (clam shell).  If I remember the saw is over 1200 tanks of fuel and still running strong.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

nmurph

Quote from: AdkStihl on April 10, 2012, 11:11:46 PM
Newer Poulan saws are far from being "Pro" grade saws.
I recommend a STIHL 260/261 OR a Husky 346XP.....both "Pro" grade designs.
There are plenty of knowledgeable saw builders out there that refurbish the above mentioned saws to "like new" condition other than a few cosmetic blemishes. Either one of these saws are right at home wearing a 16" or 18" bar and if need be, can even pull a 20" in a pinch.
Let us know what you decide.  ;)

Very true...and the above mentioned 5020 has some favorable reviews from people I trust if a new saw is the only option or the budget is restricted.

Cut4fun

Quote from: markd on April 11, 2012, 10:48:21 AM
He used to run 32 to 1 mix ratio and said that was the key to a long life in a saw. I've been runnin 8 ounces to two gals for 40 years and never blown one yet. And don't say it'll foul plugs cause it never fouls mine,

Thats 32:1 just like  I use

I would go 40:1 if I had to, but I will never got epa 50:1

AdkStihl

Quote from: Cut4fun on April 11, 2012, 05:12:52 PM
Quote from: markd on April 11, 2012, 10:48:21 AM
He used to run 32 to 1 mix ratio and said that was the key to a long life in a saw. I've been runnin 8 ounces to two gals for 40 years and never blown one yet. And don't say it'll foul plugs cause it never fouls mine,

Thats 32:1 just like  I use

I would go 40:1 if I had to, but I will never got epa 50:1

I recommend Gary Goo @ 150:1  8)
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Oh puleeze don't start the oil wars again . :D

markd

Ah ha ha ha ha ha, oh come on we're new comers, let us have some fun too!! Markd Ah ha ha ha, you guys really make me laugh.
markd

Al_Smith

:D Problem is if you keep up the oil talk before too long fourty -eleven of them will chime in about the virtues of a certain brand of oil and how anybody that doesn't use it is being foolish .Not to mention using one praticular brand at a 100 to 1 ratio .

All I do anymore for the most part is quietly sip my Budweiser and laugh  like a hyena once they start  in .Have at it then . ;)

markd

Oh, I know what you mean, everybody has their own way, We all learn the hard way and change doesn't come easy, But it's all for fun right?
markd

ladylake

Nothing wrong with clam shell saws if they're built good and are easy to work on, some are some aren't.  It's the quality of the parts .    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Some of the clam shell designs are pretty robust .Example being the old 10 series Macs which are still working just fine after 30 years of service .

Now although I own and operate a few I wouldn't recommend them for pro usage although they would work in a pinch .As firewood cutters though those old duffers will still be running long after some more modern lower priced saws are residing in parts boxes .

To reinforce what's already been stated it would probabley be a better choice to land a clean used pro grade of saw if a person wanted to use it as means of income rather than a new saw of lesser robust design criteria .They are out there you just have to look for them .

Thank You Sponsors!