iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ugly log makes some nice lumber

Started by cutterboy, April 09, 2012, 08:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hello all. This past January-February I cut down some cherry trees for lumber and firewood. Two trees grew together at the stump and seperated about four feet up.I cut the trees seperatly and took a few logs and some firwood. Then I went back and cut the stump as close to the ground as possible. This gave me a very ugly log about four feet long.

This week I sawed that ugly log on my mill and it was very akward to load and turn and saw, but it did make some nice lumber.   Cutter

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

dgdrls

The gentlemen up the road is allowing his son to do some selective cutting to widen an MX track.
Similar butt is on the ground in Ash I believe.  I think I'm going back to tag it!

Dandy looking piece of wood ;)

DGDrls

samandothers

That is PURDY :o

Whatta gonna do with it?

Okrafarmer

Now you are starting to do the kind of milling I'm famous infamous for!  ;D

Nice looking piece.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

opticsguy

Seen one piece of wood, you've seen em all.

NO    WAIT!!!

I mean I WANT to see them all!!!

:-)
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Cutting Edge

That sure looks pretty....I'm can imagine 2 peices booked matched making a very nice lil tabletop.

What are your plans?
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

T Welsh

cutterboy, Some of the best wood that I have cut has come from the ugliest logs. I love the character of the grain. Tim

Magicman

Yup, ugly outside generally reflects character on the inside.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

Quote from: Magicman on April 10, 2012, 09:17:05 AM
Yup, ugly outside generally reflects character on the inside.   smiley_thumbsup

Describes the members of this forum to a tee, me thinks, MM!  ;) :D :D

Kidding aside that is some really nice looking wood, CB.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

WDH

Why did you call MM ugly ???  ;D.  He can't help it that he has some character on the inside.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cutterboy

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm going to sell the lumber after it dries. I'm not into woodworking, I just don't have the patience for the fussy work.

bandmiller2

Cutter, you need to find the hard core hobby woodworkers they go wild over that stuff.The commercial woodworkers want to steal your wood,price is there big consideration. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Looks and character are only in your dreams.  At least "wood monger" is my friend or was he Bibbyman's friend.

Well it was a nice slab of Cherry.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 10, 2012, 09:26:08 PM
Cutter, you need to find the hard core hobby woodworkers they go wild over that stuff. Frank C.

Frank, that is who I sell most of my lumber to. Cherry sells fast. Last month I put 400 bf of cherry up for sale and it was gone in a week. I didn't even advertise it. I called one of my regulars and he came up the next day. I got two calls in the next couple of days from people looking for cherry and they wiped me out. I wish I had a forest of cherry trees.

Full Circle

That's nice looking cherry. 
There's something about the ugly logs.....
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

markd

You don't have to be a fussy woodworker, two stumps and one of those gorgeous slabs would be a fine addition to any place you care to put it!! Markd
markd

Migal

Kinda like Me Ugly only on the outside  8) even when I was done with a black walnut and seen the metal it was steel pretty  :D Note: to all that's wondering Ive added several pics of a day at the Park milling around for a friend and Co Worker just click my camera I had no control of camera but the man and his wife came out for the Sunday afternoon! I had a blast  8) 8) 8) even

Monday cleaning all the pink and black walnut shavings off
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

markd

I've got an old sequoia log that I stood up on end and left it for about 6 or 8 yrs, the bark came loose and the sapwood rotted but the heart wood is still good.  The butt was about 48" and at the top it was 28" so I made a 8' log and whittled it down with my chainsaw so it would fit on the mill today I'm gonna saw into it and see what I get, I'll take some pictures and post them. I expect it to be ugly log beautiful lumber.
markd

samandothers

Markd
Do post pictures when you mill the log.  I like those before and after pictures, kinda like a make over!

cutterboy

Yes Markd, me too. I'm looking foward to seeing those pictures.

apm

Can you levitate one on end, too?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

markd

I levitated two on end!! But there's only one left standing. I sawed the first one yesterday and got some interesting colors, I took pictures but I can't post them till my wife gets back to load them in my gallery for me, I get lost boppin around on this thing. She'll be back monday. Markd
markd

Thank You Sponsors!