iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Pants !!!

Started by Timbercruiser, April 08, 2012, 08:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Who makes good chainsaw pants these days ?? Any good websites or names from you guys that do pro logging ?? Thanks for any help you can give

treay

Prison blues are a favorite in Id, WA and OR.  They are actually made at a detention center (Minimun security prison) in Pendleton, Oregon.  They run from 20 to 25 bucks if you get double fronts.  Real comfortable for guys with big legs and rear ends.  Google Prison Blues.

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Maine372

ill second the labonviles.

in the summer i wear chaps so i can take them off to cool off when im not running saw. in winter i wear labonvilles insulated pants with the inserts. i honestly think i wear them every day and just change the pair of long underwear i have under them. monday through friday i work in them, weekends i wear them ice fishing. great product!

petefrom bearswamp

Are these double pants with some Kevlar in them to substitute for chaps?
I have some Wild Ass pants from Baileys which appear to be very durable.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

markd

I like my Filson tin pants specially when it's wet out, but they wear like iron, never wore out a pair but they're a hundred bucks with out the spenders. Markd
markd

lumberjack48

In the warm months i wore Wranglers or Lee jeans. In the cold months the wool pants with the red lines with buttons for suspenders on all pants.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

markd

I'll bet you were a sight wearin red long johns with suspenders!! haha Markd
markd

maple flats

cutting pants, I try not to, my leg is too close under them and I don't like the sight of blood in large doses.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Timbercruiser

Maple flats thanks for the really great answer it was really worth the time for everyone on here.

clww

I wear the Wild Ass Jeans from Bailey's. Singles in the summer and the doubles for the colder months. Very durable from what I've observed in the past two years. My favorite is wearing the suspenders so I'm not constantly re-tucking my shirt in, even with a belt. Pockets are plenty deep, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

scsmith42

Quote from: clww on May 08, 2012, 08:22:13 PM
I wear the Wild Ass Jeans from Bailey's. Singles in the summer and the doubles for the colder months. Very durable from what I've observed in the past two years. My favorite is wearing the suspenders so I'm not constantly re-tucking my shirt in, even with a belt. Pockets are plenty deep, too.

+1, I wear these almost every day.  I used to wear the same thing from Carhart, but the Bailey's are US Mfg, which I like.

Very comfortable, and extremely durable.  If I need more protection when milling or cutting, I add a pair of chainsaw chaps.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

lumberjack48

I never wore saw pants or chaps in my 30 yrs of felling, bucking and limbing. Every time i seen a guy get cut, it was his negligence or the saw was dull or he had the rakers were to low.

The guys i seen put all this hardware on think there invincible, they get careless, act like they've run saw for yrs. You are more likely to get cut in the neck or chest then the foot or leg.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mark K

I wear my cutting chaps and helmet faithfully. First reason is saftey, second reason is we are required to. Im a one man contractor who works alot of state ground. Having to have workmens comp. liability and disability to work for the mill and to work on state ground. I do get spot checked from time to time by my insurance company, osha, state forester and mill forester. Last thing I want to do is get shut down for not having my saftey gear. I wear husky chainsaw pants during the winter because there heavy and warm. Plus if its real cold I can wear them under carharts. During summer I wear chaps so i can take them off while skidding to cool off. Main thing that osha looks for is th URL tag on the chaps and pants. It can be ripped off but the stitching will always be there, and thats what they look for.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

lumberjack48

Mark i never said a thing or mentioned to anybody not to ware there safety gear. I was saying i didn't and how i've seen guys get cut over my 30 yrs running saw. I was never required to ware any safety gear when logging Federal or State stumpage 20 yrs ago.

I had Finlander Insurance  [ My Fault ]

Thats the best thing they do is make you ware your safety gear.

I'm sorry, but i can't a manage running around felling timber with carharts on, i would be to bound up, i fell many days at -40+
I wore-em when i did mechanic work.

John Mc

Quote from: lumberjack48 on May 10, 2012, 12:08:50 PM
...You are more likely to get cut in the neck or chest then the foot or leg.

Actually, see this link on Chain Saw Injury Statistics from Elvex. 18% of injuries to Head / upper body. Almost 43% to leg / foot.

I would not be surprised if the neck and chest ones were nastier, however.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Mark K

Lumberjack48- The only time I wear my carharts is when I plan on skidding all day. Pulling bunched timber. Sometimes we skid long distances of a mile to a mile and a half. Across wide open fields where the wind howls. Used to freeze my butt off on my old TJ. This Treefarmer I just bought seems to direct alot of heat to the operator. None of my comments were directed at you, sorry if you toke it that way.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

chevytaHOE5674

I have a pair of timbersavage pants that I wear in the winter time as they keep me nice and warm as well as protect me. For summer I have a pair of husqvarna pants that are like mesh on the back sides of your legs so they are comfortable even in the warmest of weather that we get up here.

lumberjack48

The thing is when running chainsaw, if your up on your game, feet out of harms way, use the right stance, chance of getting cut is all most 0. Every time i all most got cut, it was my fault, i wasn't taking that extra step, getting ahead of my self. One of the main things, don't ware any louse clothing.

I've gone to firewood cutting Bee's 30 yrs ago. There would be like 30 guys [Drinking] running chainsaw, never seen a pair of chaps on anybody. There were a few loggers, most run saw a little, some first timers. This was very scary to me, i told the owners that i believed they were liable. Being it was their wood and property. The last one i went to, i had talked to the owners and told them to let me take control of all chainsaw use. No drinking until all firewood is put up, a few got mad and left.

I always put a piece of Plexiglas on my skidders, one in front and one behind the driver. When i was just driving skdder at -20 to -40 i had a pair of Flight pants and a Air Force parka.
Other wise i wore the same style wool pants that my Grandfather and Father wore. I wore a wool shirt with a Down filled vest with the wool pants.
In summer, blue jeans with a white shirt, i got my white dress shirts from the Salvage Army or garage sales. [ all ways wore suspenders ] I even had  suspenders for dress pants, we went dancing every Fri, Sat, night.

Getting back to chainsaws, the guys that buy the little saws with a 12" bar, these saw are really dangerous. They pop up in your face or fly out of your hands if you don't have a good hold of it. Lots of power to weight ratio.

chevytaHOE5674

Thing is even if you are on top of your game and watching out all the time accidents can and do happen to even the most seasoned professionals. A simple pair of chaps or pants can help keep your leg attached when an accident does happen.

Rickofox

I use Labonville chaps.  Easy on & easy off.  Super protection and they work!  I had a very slight cut--just barely nicked the outer material, but quickly pulled the Kevlar out and stopped the saw in an instant!  Make sure you replace them once they have been "tested" too! 
Rick

Ward Barnes

Quote from: treay on April 08, 2012, 09:03:39 PM
Prison blues are a favorite in Id, WA and OR.  They are actually made at a detention center (Minimun security prison) in Pendleton, Oregon.  They run from 20 to 25 bucks if you get double fronts.  Real comfortable for guys with big legs and rear ends.  Google Prison Blues.

Bailey's sells the Prison Blues as well as the Wild Ass Jeans.  I have two pair of the Wild Ass Jeans one with single front and one with double front.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

JHBC

You were talking about "cutting pants", not just work jeans right.  There's a lot of companies that make good quality pants: Big K, CanSwe, Stihl, etc., they aren't real cool in the summer, but are better to move around in than chaps.  As for it being more dangerous than to wear them than not.  I don't buy it.  I've shaved the leather off the two of my boot once, the steel saved my foot, and my kevlar caught a chain once, that would have given me one serious gash if I didn't have it on.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

deerslayer

My opinion on not wearing ppe is that the same argument is/was often applied to wearing seat belts. ie, "If he had been wearing a seatbelt he wouldn't have been thrown clear from the vehicle" I didn't use to wear chaps. I can point to a scar on my leg that continually reminds me as to why they are a good idea. I also wear motorcycle helmets and leathers, use a wire core flip line when I climb, etc. I KNOW I am not perfect and I do make mistakes and don't want the results to be more severe than needed. Saws nowadays are running chains speeds way faster than the older saws used to and by the time someone realizes something is happening, it's already over. No "gettin outa da way!" So my advice is to wear full ppe and it is cheap compared to an ER visit.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Al_Smith

I think wearing cut resistant chaps or pants is a good idea although I must admit I seldom do .Excepting the few times a year I might be running hot saws which is seldom .

Hard hat ,helment ,brain bucket or whatever always when falling ,never when just bucking .Safety glasses always .

Should have faithfully used ear protection which I didn't now I have a little ringa ding in the ear .Too soon old ,too late smart .

Steel toed shoes probabley is a good idea unless you have feet like mine that they try to cut your toes off .I can't wear them and have tried several brands .My little short toes just can't take it .

Thank You Sponsors!