Sponsors:

TD-9 with Harley muffler

Started by markd, April 08, 2012, 11:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markd

Old push and pull still going

markd

thecfarm

What year is that? How many years have out owned it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

T Welsh

markd, I love old iron, so simple and effective. I like your 4 legged buddy scouting the way in front of you! Tim

sawguy21

When I read the title I thought now there is an oxymoron. :D That is a neat old crawler.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

markd

It's 1953, bought it in 77 rebuilt the under carriage and the harley muffler in 80 and put a new coil on it this spring. It's a duel fuel, starts on gas then kicks over to diesel, easy to work on and just keeps goin. Ellie my dog likes to help me log. Hope you guys found some nice Easter eggs Markd
markd

barbender

My Grandpa has one of the same vintage, I'd like to get it moving one of these days. I broke the mainshaft in the tranny, so it will be a bit of a job.
Too many irons in the fire

Maine372

i learned to plow snow on a td-6 with a bucyrus erie blade. later my first logging job we stumpcut spruce 4ft and stacked it on a trailer by hand. pulled it out with that same td6.

markd

You'd be glad you did, If you like doing it and have the time and money. I'm sure glad I have mine. Parts are easy to find at least around here.It's slow but great for what I need here at home.  Yes , my  buddy down the road has a TD6, looks exactly like the TD9 only a little smaller .Markd
markd

captain_crunch

My Crew on break l to r
TD-9 92 series TD-14A AND hd-11 TRACK LOADER
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

markd

That's a mean looking crew you got there!
markd

barbender

Looks ready for work! I love the way those TDs fire up on gas and switch to diesel, it's like setting off a bomb! They purr along like any old flathead on gas, then you throw all the levers, it almost dies, and then braaoomm! the diesel catches with a plume of black smoke ;D When I fired Grandpa's up, one of the steering clutches was stuck. I just ran it like that for a while, I had to back up to steer the one direction. Then an old mechanic told me to hold the lever for the stuck clutch, and bump into a stump in low gear, it might pop it loose. Well, I think when I tried that a cog broke off of a gear, I felt it jumping "Huh, what's that?" well, then that stress snapped the mainshaft :( My stupid mistake, I later learned that TDs are prone to gear breakage. It must of been weak already, just dozing you would hit stumps that way. At least that was what Grandpa told me. (grandson can do no wrong ;D)

Maine372

if they sit too long the clutches will stick. we plugged up the chamber where the clutch is located and filled it with wd-40 and diesel. then we cut a stick to sit against the dash and hold that steering lever back. after awhile they let go.

Ed_K

I had a 54 TD-6 back 15 yrs ago had to rebuilt both f-drives and another track. Ran good till I got into some ledge and the transmission literally fell apart.Cost me $700.in used parts. I had a lot of fun with it and even did a few jobs too.
Ed K

markd

I never heard they were prone to gear breaking, I do my own mechanic work so I treat it good so I don't have to fix it. Banging into things always scare me, sometimes pushin brush you bump a stump but I hit that clutch lever quick. The old thing seems invincable to me. Markd
markd

Al_Smith

The TD 9's aren't the only ones .That TD 14 is known to break pinion  shafts too .Why I have no idea they certainly seem heavy duty enough .

They all seem to have their quirks .Some models of AC's break out finals of which you'd look high and low to ever find a one for repairs .

Try and find parts for an Oliver ,about like looking for a hens tooth .

Okrafarmer

The place to go for Oliver crawler parts is Zimmerman Oliver Cletrac in Ephrata PA. I have stopped in there and seen his impressive collection of restored crawlers, and his equally impressive bone yard. If he doesn't have what you need, he is the one most likely to be able to tell you whether it is even possible to find it and if so, where.

My dad had two different TD-6 dozers. The TD-6 and gasoline variant, T-6, had weak final drives. He broke three on one side, and one on the other before giving up on the second machine he had. My understanding is that 9, 14, and 18 were tougher animals, but stay away from the TD-24, which was plagued with problems from being rushed through development too quickly.

Any of these older machines can have components break, though. Many long years of hard work can do that. Dad had better luck when he switched to Caterpillar. the 1949 D-4 is the one I used the most. Caterpillar had a policy of not building too much power into their engines, beyond what the drive train was able to handle. The Allis and International machines sometimes were too powerful for their own good, which can be a problem if the drive components can't handle it. The Cats usually had a lower power to weight ratio than the reds and oranges. The Cletrac / Olivers generally built a good machine, but they went completely out of production buy 1965 and no dealer network maintains the parts supply. As I said, ask Landis Zimmerman for your parts needs there. The little HG, OC-3, and OC-4 series he has pretty much all the parts for at all times. The bigger and older ones get sketchier and sketchier, but like I said, if anybody can get it for you, he can, and once you have an Oliver or Cletrac in good mechanical shape and you understand its maintenance needs, it should be as reliable as a Cat. Oh, and you can get parts through Caterpillar for most all their own models back to maybe WWII, but you will pay about 17 times what it seems the part should be worth.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Al_Smith

Caterpillar and John-Deere probabley have the best parts parts availability and expediance in delivery of same of any companies in the world .It comes with a price though ,they aren't cheap.

There at least used to be a lot of larger IH and large Allis crawlers sitting idle for lack of final drives .I'd imagine with the Chinese recently driving the price of scrap iron up many have fell to the scrappers torch .

You get to fiddling with a 40-50 year old crawler you'd best be a mechanic and a junk yard dawg because you will turn a wrench on them .

As far as the Ollies and Cletracs parts can be found although not without a hunt .However the little ones ,OC-3 and HG's as just toys .At two tons they won't do much.Cute little snow pushers maybe .A 6 inch tree will stop one dead in it's tracks.

Ha I managed to knock the finals out of both an HG plus an Oc-6 over the years ,got em going again though after some time .The HG got pedaled .I spent more time wrenching than  I did operating it

Al_Smith

More ramblings on the little Ollies .What happens on the Oc3 and Hg is they didn't have a very good  stout attachment point for the front of the track rails .Constant turning soon elongated the frame bolt holes in the rear .

Wibbly woobly they put strain in the tapered Timken  bearings  holding the bull gear in place ,cocked the bull and sheared off the teeth from partial contact with the pinion .The pinion usually survived but the bull kind of became a steer in the process .All his teeth ended up in the bottom of the final drive case .

The OC 6's were built a tad more stout using an Oliver 77 as a base ,all cast iron with no frame to bend and twist .

Then comes the planitary drive ,you can't zero turn one .You slow one side down which speeds the other side up .To keep one going straight you have to be on the brakes constantly .

Then comes the track rollers .Both the OC 6 and the HG use the same rollers unlike Cat's double flanged that will side hill these were single and will flip a track easy as pie . Oh my you get good at retracking one after a period of time .

By the way in the Nebraska tests most crawlers will pull about 90 percent of their weight .The Oc 6 Oliver and one model of JD are the only machines ever tested that could pull more than their weights .--antique tractor trivia -- 

barbender

You guys have a lot of knowledge on these old dozers. Another question- our TD-9 has a 5 speed tranny with only one reverse speed. Are other dozer trannies of the era set up the same, or do they have a shuttle/reverser? I saw in the manual that you could get a second reverse that replaced third gear if I remember right (for the TD-9).

tjdub

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 13, 2012, 11:30:37 AM
Wibbly woobly they put strain in the tapered Timken  bearings  holding the bull gear in place ,cocked the bull and sheared off the teeth from partial contact with the pinion .The pinion usually survived but the bull kind of became a steer in the process .All his teeth ended up in the bottom of the final drive case .

That really cracked me up.  Castrating the bull gears.   :D

Quote from: Al_Smith on April 13, 2012, 11:30:37 AM
By the way in the Nebraska tests most crawlers will pull about 90 percent of their weight .The Oc 6 Oliver and one model of JD are the only machines ever tested that could pull more than their weights .--antique tractor trivia --

Do you know what he JD model was offhand?  If I had to guess, I would say the 440 ICD (because it was powered with a Detroit 2-cylinder).

Okrafarmer

My dad's '54 TD-6 had two reverse speeds. He used high reverse a lot when it was prudent to do so. Not sure about the first TD-6 he had. The '49 D-4 Cat had 5 speeds forward and only one reverse. The two D-6's he had were from the mid '50's and they had a non-powered reverser. They had 5 speeds forward and you could use any of those same gears for reverse except 5th. There was a lockout from 5th in reverse.

I do know a reverser was available from the mid 50's on for the John Deere 420C and its descendents. The JD 350C I use has a power reverser.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!