iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Baskets

Started by shopteacher, February 22, 2004, 05:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

I've put together some firewood baskets to cut down the handling of my firewood.  These boxes were built from the wire shelves off those big shelve assemblies like Lowe's and Home Depot use. I used 4 of them, one on the bottom and 3 sides with a chain on a hook across the front.  The sides are laced together with garage door cable and then laced to the bottom one the same way. They sit on a large pallet and can be moved with the skid steer.  Now when I cut firewood I can stack it in here, move it where ever I need to during the summer and set it right outside on my cellar door in winter. These baskets kind or remind me of a wicker basket. They hold approx 64 cubic feet unless piled high.  As I don't believe there is a name for a 64 cubic box of fire wood I think these should be deemed a "Wicket".  So today I loaded up 3 wickets of firewood and have enough shelves to put together another 3 boxes.

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

WV_hillbilly

Neat idea to eliminate handling it too many times .
Hillbilly

ADfields

I have done that with pallets for years but now I have no way to move them around. ::)   I like the name wicket. ;D
Andy

RavioliKid

You are one creative guy, shopteacher!

I'm making reusable shopping bags out of plastic bags - crochet. Probably not a project that anyone here would be interested in, though.
RavioliKid

shopteacher

Oh, I don't know Rav. Can you make one big enough to hold 64 ft of wood? ;D

Norm

That's cool shopteacher, where did you find the shelving at?

Rav I'd like to see, I try to reuse them but they are really only good for one use as a shopping bag. I used to know how to crochet but haven't done it since I was a teenager, my mom taught me how. :)

shopteacher

Norm, I got them out of a dumpster. Free for the taking and just the right price. ;D

bull

do I see a BLUE pallet on the Bottom?????

Use Caution if it's a CHEPS pallet they will be after you !!!!

They are rental pallets and CHEPS wants there property big legal battles >:(

shopteacher

Bull, I don't know if that a CHEPS pallet or not. If it is they shouldn't store them in the dumpster as there a big truck that comes and hauls them away every Friday.
   Around here companies throws pallets away and some stack them in a certain spot for people to take and burn for firewood.  When the guy delivered my skid steer from Hamilton, Ontario I gave him about a dozen pallets I had sitting here and he couldn't believe it.  You'd thought he'd hit the lotto or something. I was glad to get rid of them.
    I have a company close by that builds components for power distribution systems. The parts come in crates from Canada and are made of 1/2 plywood. A lot of them are full sheets for the top and usually 3/4" for the bottom.  I went down and seen the guy who take care of the company trash he said you can have anything in the dumpster you want.

bull

shop teacher,
   That's where all the hubbub started w/ CHEP another joke in the industry " Leasing or renting Pallets" another Big Guy group putting the hassel on the little guys !!
   Pallet Enteprise magazing has alot of articles re CHEPS

RavioliKid

Shopteacher,
I suppose I could make one big enough for 64 ft of wood, but I don't know if it would be too practical.

Norm,
I'll try to remember to take a picture of one to send you.

RavioliKid

Mark M

The name that popped into my mind was a "cubit", seein hows they're cubed shaped and all.

Wicket it good too, just make sure they aren't "sticky". ;)

shopteacher

Mark, I think the Romans already took cubit.  That seems to come to mind for some reason. I'll have to try and look it up.
Sticky, Oh I get it now sticky wicket, you sly old dog you.

Yep here it is:
 An ancient unit of linear measure, originally equal to the length of the forearm from the tip of the middle finger to the elbow, or about 17 to 22 inches (43 to 56 centimeters).

HORSELOGGER

Tell Ol Butch to keep it on the pavement, he's ruttin up the place ;) If you made a kiln chamber of some type, those would be good baskets for dryin firewood.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

shopteacher

Hey Horselogger,
    That Butch he'll do anything to get attention.  
When I get that vac kiln built (you notice the when and not if) I plan to get some wheels off the mine cars build a cart or two and put in a track. I'll be able to roll the cart in and out without having to stack and unload it in the kiln by hand .  I don't think I'll be drying any firewood, it seem to dry just fine out in the open air.

redpowerd

i hate to say it, but the baskets are too much work, skid the trees right next to the stove.
but, id llikem in the wooooods
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Weekend_Sawyer

I like it a LOT. I use my skid steer for hauling firewood around and was tring to think of a way of getting more capacity. Thanks for posting.
WS
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ADfields

QuoteMark, I think the Romans already took cubit.  That seems to come to mind for some reason. I'll have to try and look it up.
Sticky, Oh I get it now sticky wicket, you sly old dog you.

Yep here it is:
 An ancient unit of linear measure, originally equal to the length of the forearm from the tip of the middle finger to the elbow, or about 17 to 22 inches (43 to 56 centimeters).

Some guy made an ark to float critters around in that was all measured in cubits a couple days before the Romans came along I think. ;)
Andy

shopteacher

Your right Andy, that's probably where I heard that. Shame on me for giving those Romans credit.  I think that boat builder and I went to school together. ;D I'm pretty sure he was the valedictorian that year. 8)

Frank_Pender

Hey, Rav, waht you mean not interested.  I have been kniting and such since I was in the 3rd grade.   Our parents tought us so that we could knit 60 stich squares and the moms would crochet them into blankets for the vets at the Portland Vets Hospital back in the eary 50's.   Thanks for the memories.  

I since have knit a umber of sweaters, hats, coats, etc. It is a great relaxent on deep cold winter days when sawing would be toooo dangerous or silly. :-/
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!