iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The search for my Saw

Started by GoStumpy, April 07, 2012, 01:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoStumpy

About two weeks ago, wife informed me that she will be buying me a Chainsaw for my birthday :)   Knowing that she didn't really know anything about them, I figured it was my job to research and find one that I wanted!

I am fortunate enough to have 3 local chainsaw dealers in my area (Kelowna, BC), all of which had very helpful and courteous staff...

First stop was the closest to my Workplace, Kelowna Chainsaws.  Went in there with the idea that Stihl was the best, and wanted to check them out first...  Turns out, it was a Stihl only dealer, so obviously now I'm just narrowing it down...  Told him what I needed it for, chopping up firewood for camping, about a dozen times a year or so... He pointed out the MS250 as my best bet, then I saw the price.. egad... Told him that's a bit out of my price range...  So we settled on the MS230, and he would see what he could do on the price (retailed at $379.99).

Got up to the counter, did up a quote, ended up at $299.99 for the saw, $39.99 sale-price for the Case, 6 bottles of oil for the extended warranty, plus tax, worked out $393 including tax.... eeek. 

By this time I've found out that I have a $300 limit to spend on a saw.... *DanG!  Better keep looking!  Or donate a bit of my own money, however I really don't have any to spare :(

So I went to my dealer closes to home, turns out he is a Husqvarna chainsaw dealer...  He shows me the flyer from Husky with the 435, $324.99... I gulp, but see on the other page that includes a free case! Including tax 'n everything we're looking at $375...

So really my only dilemma was Husky or Stihl.... That is where the internet research began... There's a lot of discussions on Husky vs Stihl, and I think I've read em all!  Watched a bunch of Youtube videos, read all the specs... Everything I read tells me they're both great saws, and both will last a long time if proper care is taken...

It all came down to preference... As a kid my Dad had a Husky backpack-style leaf blower... That thing was AWESOME.  Never owned a Stihl product...

Guess that made up my mind!  Buyin a Husky!

Going out in a few minutes to see if my local store is open on the Saturday of Easter Weekend, if not I gotta wait until Tuesday (they close Sun/Mon normally)...

I'll take some pics for sure, my local trail walk with the dog is littered with pine-beetle killed trees, some we walk over, some we walk around... I can finally be the guy that goes up there and cleans it up :)  Really excited to test it out!

As far as safety equipment goes, I have safety glasses, steel-toe boots, and a hardhat... Gonna grab some earplugs when I get the saw... I wouldn't mind buying a pair of chaps, but the wife tells me I'm not a logger and I don't need em... I know I don't NEED them, but they would be nice to have for peace of mind... Doesn't help that's another ~$100 onto a bill we already can barely afford :(    I can always get em later though :)

Ok, I better run, hopefully when I come back on here I'll be the proud new owner of a Husqvarna 435 :)

Misfit

Good choice there! I have an older Husky 142 that I bought used and rebuilt the carb on. It's a great little saw. Also have a Stihl pole saw that I bought at the same time. It's also a good piece of equipment. I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum. You are wise to go to knowledgeable dealers instead of the mass retailer, you will pay a little more but you get quality and service in return.
Regarding the safety gear, you pay now or you may pay dearly later. Get muffs, a shield and chaps at the very least. Tell your wife you do need them, weekend warriors have accidents too. I have scared myself more than once. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Do a Google search for "chainsaw chaps".  You can beat that $100 deal, and you really do need them because with the right wrong kind of accident, you won't need the saw anymore.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Paul_H

They are a good bunch at Kelowna Chainsaw and have been around a long time so you couldn't have gone wrong there.Good luck whatever you get.
A good set of homeowner chaps(Stihl) should be around $60(Stihl)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

lumberjack48

Your not a logger, this is the reason you need chaps more then ever.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

nsmike

Get the chaps, a chainsaw accident is a chainsaw accident, the saw doesn't know the difference between a professional and an amatuer. Chaps worn occasionally, might not need the wear characteristics a logger needs, but they need the same level of protection.

Nomad

Stumpy, get the chaps.  It only takes ONE mistake to bite you.  That saw will not have a conscience.  And congrats on the new saw! 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

GoStumpy

Got the saw home safe & sound :)

Wife is taking a nap, so I'm gonna run out and buy the chaps now ;)

Jim_Rogers

Just remember that saw will cut lots of wood.

But it cuts at the rate of 72 stitches per second. So don't slip for a fraction of a second or you'll be seeing the doctor for sure.

I have chaps and wear them when cutting a lot with the saw, the best investment in your legs future.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

GoStumpy

Just got back :)

So today I got:

Husqvarna 435 Chainsaw
6-pack 2-stroke mix
Husqvarna Helmet/visor/earmuff combo
Stihl 3600rpm wrap-around zippered Chaps

Wife is gonna poop a brick when she finds out I bought the helmet/chaps, cost me $180 taxes in... Gonna tell her it was $100 and deal with it :)  Dealer threw in a pair of gloves for me as well :):)

lumberjack48

GoStumpy you have to explain to your wife that you could lose other vital body parts. I'm very happy that you got a pair of chaps. If you have respect for the saw every time you use it, it won't bite you.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

GoStumpy

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  Good for you, so now you can be "Stumpy in name only.  You will really like that helmet and the way the ear muffs work.  I am very satisfied with mine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Gostumpy has a Birthday today. A good birthday present too. Glad to see the chaps. that is worth an Attaboy!!  :D I even bought my wife a hard hat so when she comes up to see me when I am cutting wood she wears it. Was her idea. She said why do you have one and I don't?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Happy birthday!  Looks like great gifts... Boy you sure can shop!

lumberjack48

dukndog

Good setup there. I love my helmet. I thought it would be troublesome and hot, but it really is a great item. Congrats to you!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

GoStumpy

Off to go clean up one major blockage in our daily walks, fallen tree from last year's windstorm that forces everyone to detour around it... Would like to go with a friend though, but nobody wants to go with me :(

GoStumpy

Friend agreed to accompany me, hurray!

I'M GLAD I GOT THE HELMET/FACE SHIELD COMBO!!!  Had a branch swing out and nail me right in the face after chopping it.. Wouldn't have broken anything but sure woulda hurt and *pithed me off!

Instead I just looked at my buddy, grinned, he gave me the thumbup and knocked on his head :)  Good buy already!

Couldn't cut the entire thing though, unfortunately... I know when to stop.. It is being held up 4' in the air by the branches when it fell, so now I need to somehow cut out the supports holding it up whilst not being in the path of it falling, whilst not having my saw get caught in the weight of the tree on the limbs...

I think I may bring out the axe for this one, at least that way I can swing, chop, and drop!

I'll head out there and get some pics later and see what you guys think :)

gspren

It sounds like your new to sawing and off to a good start, if you ARE new don't do any cutting by yourself untill you really feel comfortable with how it handles and even then when your felling or unsticking a tree thats hung up you should still get someone to at least watch. I have run chainsaws for 45 years but not professionally and when I think I'm doing anything like felling etc. I get the neighbor to come and watch, he is in his 70s and not to sturdy but he could go for help!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

Those limbs holding the tree off of the ground have the energy of the whole weight of the tree stored in them.  As you cut them be very careful.  They will sometimes go in the opposite direction that you think.  You can easily get whacked or have your feet knocked out from under you.  LINK

GoStumpy

Quote from: Magicman on April 08, 2012, 10:17:45 PM
Those limbs holding the tree off of the ground have the energy of the whole weight of the tree stored in them.  As you cut them be very careful.  They will sometimes go in the opposite direction that you think.  You can easily get whacked or have your feet knocked out from under you.  LINK

Sounds exactly what I was dealing with!!!  I made sure to kick every limb that I cut to make sure it wasn't load bearing.. Once I got down to a few load-bearing limbs left me and the buddy shoved and shoved the tree, unable to flip it over we shoved the other direction and managed to reduce its height by half... So it's more likely to fall uphill now which is safer for anyone travelling the trail :)

GoStumpy

Oh, and these chaps are HUGE!  Apparently they're designed to fit logger-types, of which I am not!

5'6" and 175lbs, they're basically full-size pants on me :)

Ianab

Learning to spot those traps BEFORE they bite you is a good skill to learn. Logs sitting up like that are like a trap that's loaded and ready to get you.

Sometimes a couple of ropes, light cable or tow strops and one of those hand winches can come in handy to winch the log over, or at least secure it so it's not going to roll in your direction.

The trees we usually cut are big and heavily branched, and often end up sitting 4 to 8 ft off the ground, so I know exactly the problem you are facing.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!