iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawyer Revelations...

Started by Tree Feller, April 06, 2012, 10:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

My little piece of East Texas isn't exactly the Isle of Patmos but I've had a few things about sawing reveal themselves to me this week.

1.  Big logs (25") on a manual mill are a lot of work.
2.  Dull blades and low blade tension will render wavy saw cuts.
3.  2" x 12" x 10' wet Pine planks are heavy.
4.  Sawing lumber produces prodigious amounts of sawdust.
5.  One can never have too many stickers.
6.  The Logrite cant hook is a superior tool.
7.  Sawing is a vortex similar to turning. There's always something else to build or buy.
8.  There is immense satisfaction in watching a stack of lumber grow from a whack of logs.
9.  Wide boards are mesmerizing.
10.  There is no such thing as a trash tree. (even sweetgum, MM.)   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Magicman

I love your list but I hates Sweetgum.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Riggs

Nice list Tree Feller I agree on all counts.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Dave Tarheels

is that your 10 saw commandments  ;D
LT 20 Woodmizer

Okrafarmer

His ten Revelations.  ;) Good observations. Sweetgum is very useful, especially for practicing things you're not sure will work. I like to mill it into 4x4's to put things on. POSTONlt40 likes to use it for shed siding.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

fat olde elf

I think MM's mother was frightened by a sweet gum tree.  The list is most excellent. We are always on a learning curve with this addiction.  William Glasser wrote a book "Positive Addictions" which led me to believe that there are some good addictions.This is one of them. Say your prayaers
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

rlahaise

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Tree Feller on April 06, 2012, 10:41:19 PM
My little piece of East Texas isn't exactly the Isle of Patmos but I've had a few things about sawing reveal themselves to me this week.

1.  Big logs (25") on a manual mill are a lot of work.
2.  Dull blades and low blade tension will render wavy saw cuts.
3.  2" x 12" x 10' wet Pine planks are heavy.
4.  Sawing lumber produces prodigious amounts of sawdust.
5.  One can never have too many stickers.
6.  The Logrite cant hook is a superior tool.
7.  Sawing is a vortex similar to turning. There's always something else to build or buy.
8.  There is immense satisfaction in watching a stack of lumber grow from a whack of logs.
9.  Wide boards are mesmerizing.
10.  There is no such thing as a trash tree. (even sweetgum, MM.)   ;)

:)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

bandmiller2

My friend you have seen the burning bush,just don't let it get too close to the slab pile. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I was recently asked in a PM about Sweetgum lumber which was probably generated because of my dislike for Sweetgum.  Here is my response:

" :)  I have sawed Sweetgum for customers but really have no idea how it actually behaved as it dried.  It has a very pleasing color texture with dark streaks, etc., so to me it is pretty.   I do know that a couple of customers used it for wall paneling so it must have dried OK.  I am told that it holds up well as an outdoor building siding as long as it does no have ground contact.

My dislike for Sweetgum comes from it's ability to seed itself and generate sprouts everywhere.  Chop it down, and it quickly resprouts, so any control is ongoing.  It grows to about 6" and then seemingly stops growing.

"I hates Sweetgum" is real, but it is also a joke.  MM"
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Around here it doesn't stop growing at 6". It seems like it gets to 6" the second year, and adds 3 inches per year after that and doesn't stop until at least 24-30". I exaggerate slightly about the rate, but not by a whole lot. The end result is a 24-30" mature tree in a minimal amount of time. That's wonderful if you like pulpwood.....

Seriously, if you find new profitable uses for sweetgum, you could get filthy rich.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

wwsjr

The crosstie buyers in my area like to buy sweetgum, one guy told me it would accept cresote better than other species. When I retired and moved back to my old homeplace I had sweetgum growing around the borders of pasture land. They had not been cut for about 30 years. There were clusters of trees in the 12-14" diameter range. I was selling a 7X9X9'2" tie for $24.00 and 1X4X51" boards for pallet slats for .51 cents. Cleared brush around the pastures and got a little money for what I cut. Burned the tops and slabs. I have since been able to brushhog and keep the sprouts from growing.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

These 2"-6" trees are about 10 years old.

After I "Hack-N-Sqirted" them.

And then went through and planted Cherrybark Red Oak trees which are now 4' to 8' tall.   :)   

Banjo picker

My dad hated sweetgum almost as much as MM... Told me to cut any one I found...alais I was a tad lazy and didn't do a very good job in the sweetgum eradication program....I found as Butch just said that sweetgum ties bring a good price...same as oak a couple of years ago.....I probably made more off those gums that I didn't kill as anything in my woods....  I have some more in waiting...I have to get 3 or 4 ties out of one before I will cut it....I will retire in 5 1/2 years ,,,,the sweetgum will go down.....Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Taylortractornut

WHen I ran a crane alot my mentors  in the world of cranes swore that sweet gum blocks and timerbs were the  most split resistant   wood for boom Cribbing and   mats.     Also  assembly and disassembly  cribbing to.      I never saw a sweet gum   block shear  or break but saw  oak  blocks  split and break.
My overload permit starts after sunset

eastberkshirecustoms

Magicman, could you go into further detail about your "Hack-N-Squirt" tree eradication method? I don't have sweetgum so I can't hates it, but I have some other trash trees that are high on my list.

Magicman

I will, but first you need to do a search on hack-n-squirt.  You will be reading for a while.

My last treatment worked the best using Arsenal.  I understand that other chemicals work as well or better, but I have not used them.

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Magicman on April 09, 2012, 12:01:01 AM
I will, but first you need to do a search on hack-n-squirt.  You will be reading for a while.

My last treatment worked the best using Arsenal.  I understand that other chemicals work as well or better, but I have not used them.
OK, I searched and understand now. I have heard of the 'frill treatment' but wasn't aware that it was the same as the 'hack-n-squirt'. As the old adage states "you learn something new everyday". Thank you.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Taylortractornut on April 08, 2012, 10:11:31 PM
WHen I ran a crane alot my mentors  in the world of cranes swore that sweet gum blocks and timerbs were the  most split resistant   wood for boom Cribbing and   mats.     Also  assembly and disassembly  cribbing to.      I never saw a sweet gum   block shear  or break but saw  oak  blocks  split and break.

Sweetgum does have some good qualities about it. It is tough and flexible (although I have seen trees sheared right off by wind before).

Bogue Chitto

I have been sawing S. G. for a customer and I can go through a load of logs  with one blade.  Wood is very easy to saw. 

Magicman

Sweetgum and Poplar are probably the softest and easiest of all of our species to saw.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on April 09, 2012, 07:03:17 PM
Sweetgum and Poplar are probably the softest and easiest of all of our species to saw.

:D Even you found something good to say about Liquidambar!

WDH

To MM, that is Liqui-DAM-bar :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

When I hack-n-squirt, fell, or saw Sweetgum, it is dead.......Good.   smiley_devil_trident

Bogue Chitto

I used to hack and squirt when I was in High School, but we used a 5 foot pipe with the injector on one end.  It weighed about 20 lbs. full of chemical and made you know what real work is all about. :-\ 

WDH

I basal sprayed at least a thousand sweetgum saplings today.  MM, I felt that knowing that might just make your day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 10, 2012, 09:05:01 PM
I basal sprayed at least a thousand sweetgum saplings today.  MM, I felt that knowing that might just make your day.

Now this made me  :D. You can't help but think of MM when you get around SG.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I am a happy man,  :D  but you missed a few.

WDH

Okrafarmer

There are more sweetgums in South Carolina than there is national debt. Better start hacking and squirting.

bandmiller2

I wouldn't know a sweetgum if I tripped over one, how far north do they grow.??Are they any good to burn.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Sweetgum's natural range contains the Southern States with a little spill-over the Ohio River into Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, so you will not be tripping over any in your neck of the woods.  It is considered in the lower grade tier for firewood down here compared to other choices like oak and hickory.  It is a little denser than yellow poplar.

tcsmpsi

But, the satisfaction in watching it burn in the stove.... :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Banjo picker

If you aim to burn it in a stove , you better cut it down when its the right size to go in the door, unless you have a hydraulic splitter....It don't have no come apart....twisted grain and just about unsplitable by hand...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Okrafarmer

My experience too. Non-splittable.  And it has this way of rotting before it can dry out enough to burn properly.

customsawyer

I cut lots of S. G. for the crane mats. It cuts easy, is easy on the blades and I get to do lots of it. I don't have to dry it so with all these things put together I love sweet gum. I have found that it does okay in the wood stove but you need to have a door on your stove as it pops pretty bad.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Customsawyer,

You have the best relationship with sweetgum.  Just saw em and leave em :D.

I have to saw em and live with em  :).

Magicman

WDH

You just don't saws them in the first place  ;D.

Magicman

I have and will again, but I hates Sweetgum.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on April 12, 2012, 08:46:00 AM

I think MM secretly loves it and doesn't want the rest of us to have any. ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

pineywoods

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on April 12, 2012, 09:29:22 AM
Quote from: Magicman on April 12, 2012, 08:46:00 AM

I think MM secretly loves it and doesn't want the rest of us to have any. ;)

He can have mine... ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Okrafarmer

If SG were worth money we'd all be rich!'

Oh, except for our poor northerners and westerners who weren't blessed with any.  :'( :'( :'(

tcsmpsi

Ahhh...if only sweetgum balls were marketable.   ;D

steamsawyer

All this talk about sweetgum just makes me want to try it again. I sawed some abot 10 years ago but I don't remember anything special about it.

I'm on the central east coast of Florida, all I ever get around here is PINE... I'm thinking about trying some cabbage palm just to get something differnt.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Magicman

That is some rough looking Pine in the first picture.  Better not try to make 2X4's out of some of them.   :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 12, 2012, 09:40:48 AM
If SG were worth money we'd all be rich!'

Oh, except for our poor northerners and westerners who weren't blessed with any.  :'( :'( :'(

NOW AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

steamsawyer

Quote from: Magicman on April 12, 2012, 02:57:51 PM
That is some rough looking Pine in the first picture.  Better not try to make 2X4's out of some of them.   :-\

The two really knobby ones went in the firebox.  One good thing about the steam engine is that I don't have much waste to deal with. All the slabs and junk wood goes through the boiler. :D :D

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Okrafarmer

cypresskayaksllc

Quote from: steamsawyer on April 12, 2012, 01:33:46 PM
All this talk about sweetgum just makes me want to try it again. I sawed some abot 10 years ago but I don't remember anything special about it.

I'm on the central east coast of Florida, all I ever get around here is PINE... I'm thinking about trying some cabbage palm just to get something differnt.

Alan

I had a guy ask me about cabbage palm the other day. I told him Ive never tried it but Id like to. Read here that it was tough on blades ???

SG grows pretty big around here. I just planted some last year. Sorry MM

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Okrafarmer

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on April 12, 2012, 09:31:54 PM
SG grows pretty big around here. I just planted some last year. Sorry MM

:D :D :D

SG is definitely a good one to plant if you just want to make sure you have a resillient, long-lasting, bomb-proof, bullet-proof, drought and flood tolerant, ever-lasting tree.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: steamsawyer on April 12, 2012, 01:33:46 PM
I had a guy ask me about cabbage palm the other day. I told him Ive never tried it but Id like to. Read here that it was tough on blades ???

I've been told that most if not all palms are hard on blades. Handling blades can also be hard on the palms.  ::)

WDH

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 12, 2012, 09:48:57 PM

SG is definitely a good one to plant if you just want to make sure you have a resillient, long-lasting, bomb-proof, bullet-proof, drought and flood tolerant, ever-lasting tree weed.

:) :) :).  At least it has market value.

Thank You Sponsors!