iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CutCo Products?

Started by LOGDOG, April 06, 2012, 09:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

Just wondering if anyone here has bought any CutCo products and what your experience has been with them? I have a client who's grandson is selling them to raise money for college and apparently earn a shot at a scholarship. If you've ever looked at their stuff or bought it, it's extremely high priced. One 11and 1/2 skillet with a cover is over $700.00. The knives seem pretty nice. Lifetime guarantee on the stuff. All American made. I normally don't buy stuff that expensive for us but I'd like to help this kid out. I'd almost rather stick $500.00 in a 529 plan for him but I don't know that I can do that and stay away from rebating restrictions I have with people I do business with. All of his family including his parents are clients.

If you own some I'd be interested to know what you own and what your experience has been. Has it been worth the money?

Thanks much ...

WDH

I have a butcher block set of knives, and they have been good.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LOGDOG

Did you buy them from a friend or how did you happen up on them?

WDH

My wife gave them to me as a present.  I believe that she bought them retail or ordered them. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LOGDOG

Nice gift. How many years have you had them? Supposedly they have free sharpening for life as long as you pay the shipping.

This young kid demo'd the kitchen shears for me. He took a penny and began to snip and shear the edge of the penny off in a  spiral fashion. It cut it like nothing and not a nick on the blade. That was impressive. Those shears are about $100.00.

chevytaHOE5674

I've had a pair of those shears for 10? years or so. I love them to death, you can cut anything with them and they just keep on cutting. Even when I bought them they were like $40-50 and I hymned and hawed over the purchase, but I'm glad I bought them. I also bought a couple of knives over the years and they have been good. I've had the knives resharpened once or twice and for just the price of the shipping it is nice because they do a good job.

LOGDOG

I have to say ...those shears were impressive.

WDH

We have had the knives about 10 years.  The serrated ones have never been sharpened and they still cut good.  The unserrated ones I sharpen myself.

moosehunter

If you hunt or cut your own meat you gotta have thier Boning knife. It is my favorite knife when cutting deer.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

LOGDOG

Really? That's good to know moosehunter. I've watched quite a few reviews on the various knives. They seem to have a great overall rating. What jumps out at me is the 50% commission built into them though for the MLM compensation. I've had to ask myself if I could buy professional grade knives for similar money. The fillet knives got some really good reviews from professional guides. Supposedly it held an edge extremely well for an extended period of time under constant use.

Thanks for the input. :)

Phorester

My son sold these for two summers to make money for college several years ago.  They are of very high quality.  Extremely sharp from the getgo and hold their edge for a very long time.  Worth the money.

WDH

Moosehunter,

I cut up my own deer, and I use a cutco boning knife, too. 

LOGDOG

WDH

Yes, that is the one that I use.  Don't be fooled, though. It has to be sharpened several times in the course of cutting up a deer.  I use a steel to keep it good and sharp.  People that say that they never have had to sharpen one of these are people who do not cut up deer or use a knife very much. 

However, I will say that the serrated edge knives really hold their edge, but you do not use a serrated knife to cut up a deer, you are mainly slicing up vegetables and such so they do not get an equivalent test like the boning knife does.

LOGDOG

Yep ...I'm with you WDH. As I've been looking over a lot of these knives I've had to think in my mind that some money spent on a top notch sharpener for the draw full of pretty decent knives I already have would be money well spent. Filleting fish is another task where you're constantly running the knife through the bones and it take a real toll on your edge. I bought a modestly priced electric sharpener to keep our knives sharp. Makes a huge difference. I sharpen my mother-in-laws knives once or twice a year ...she loves it.

Norm

Best knife sharpener I've ever owned.

Work Sharp

LOGDOG

Thanks Norm. That thing looks pretty versatile. I watched the video on Amazon. What do you use to de-bur the edge though?

Norm

I use a ceramic stick but you could use your electric knife sharpener's fine wheel.

LOGDOG

Yep .... I like the fact that the work sharp lets you sharpen serrated knives as well. Some of mine need it.

chevytaHOE5674

I use a Lansky sharpener for all of my knives. Not the fastest sharpener out there but it does a great job.

Clam77

That Work Sharp looks good - be perfect for quick touchups.  I'm with chevy though - I use a Lansky as well for everything from the razor blades at work to the hunting and kitchen knives.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

wheelinguy

A friend of ours works there and one day out of the blue he sent us  set of steak knives, they have been great knives and we have probably had them for 5 years or so, no complaints.  So we had to return the favor and send him some pure Vermont maple syrup (the best kind IMHO) and some Cabot seriously sharp cheddar cheese, voted the best cheddar on the planet! 8)

WDH

If I send you some sweetgum, you think that I might get some syrup  ???. ::).

LOGDOG

Lansky definitely has a ton of sharpening tools. I've probably seen more of their stuff around than any other brand. Never used them though.

That maple syrup and sharp cheddar sure sounds good.

moosehunter

One note about Cutco that you should know. The handle design is great, easy to hang on to and comfortable. The draw back it that the design causes the knife to almost always land blade side up. You have to be very carefull setting them down. The paring knife seems to be the worst offender. I swear that thing turns itself blade side up!!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

LOGDOG

Has it bit you a couple of times?  :o Doh!

wheelinguy

I wouldn't know what to do with sweetgum, never seen it or heard of it until I joined the FF?  Besides I think you would need a pretty big box to send me a tree, but like the commercial says "if it fits it ships". :D

LOGDOG

Sweet gum grows like a weed in the South wheelinguy. It has these little balls that are about an inch and a 1/4 in diameter that are covered in points/spikes .... they'll make a real mess out of your yard. About the only good thing I've ever seen anyone do with sweetgum is this family right here. I thought this turned out great....

http://treehuggerwoodfloors.com/sweetgum_sustainable-tongue_groove_floor.htm

Magicman

I have a Lansky setup, but the most handi-dandy knife sharpeners that I regularly use come from an Arkansas manufacturer called Smith's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LOGDOG

I found both the Lansky and the Smith's sharpening systems at Academy the other day. Magicman ... is there a reason you prefer the Smith's?

36 coupe

You can pick a good sharpening stone on a salt water beach.No need to spend big money for magic knives.Some have harder steel than others.Old Hickory and Green River are good brands.

WmFritz

We've had a butcher-block set of them for at least 25 years, maybe closer to to 30. I've never sharpened my serrated blades either. I remember mumbling about the cost for the first few yrs. But have been very happy how they've held up. Worth every penny. smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Chris Burchfield

My mom has a set she's had for 20 years.  Never needed to be sharpened she uses them so little. 
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

Here are the two Smith sharpeners that I regularly use.  Both use the crossed carbide and crossed ceramic pieces. 

The pocket unit on the left also has a diamond coated "steel".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!