iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safety gear, what do you use and not use?

Started by opticsguy, April 05, 2012, 10:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

In all my life I have only used ear protection and gloves and tried to be as careful as possible when cahin sawing. Often think about adding more safety gear but never ever get there as I do not do much sawing and never think to buy any untill I am already starting a saw job.  Also over the years I have watched both amatuers and professionals with chainsaws and none ever have any more safety gear then ear protection and gloves.

I do know that a simple mistake and fast cut across your leg can cause you to bleed out in a minute or less. 

So i am curious what you use and do not use and why? 
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum. I see we are practically neighbors. If you are just bucking and stacking I would strongly suggest chaps and quality high top boots.
If you are also felling and/or limbing add a hard hat with a shield. Also have a spotter in case anything goes wrong and you need help in a hurry.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Okrafarmer

For chainsaw work I use ear protection, tight-fitting plastic sun glasses (not safety grade), and steel toed boots. Long jeans. I do not wear gloves or chaps. I do wear a plastic hard hat if working under a climber, or while felling or working near someone who is felling. I have found chaps to be more dangerous to me than not wearing them, and the same for gloves. I do put a glove on to work on a chainsaw chain, as I have cut my thumb too many times while turning the chain to make sure it is turning freely.  ::)

Having said all that, it is what I have found for myself, and I can not just recommend that somebody else not wear chaps or not wear gloves. Gloves are deadly to me-- I need to be able to feel my work. Sometimes in real pitchy brush I wear them, but I even go bare-handed working in holly and blackberry. I have learned to grab thorny things in ways that I don't get punctured, it is second-nature to me now.

As for the chaps, they were always getting caught on stuff and I kept tripping and falling down in the brush.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

nixon

Hearing and eye protection ,full wrap  chaps , haix boots  . Occasionally gloves ,depends on the weather .
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

beenthere

Minimum are chaps...then next the hard hat.

The misstep across the leg, and usually above the knee can be a crippling injury if one doesn't bleed out first.

I've had mishaps three times but was wearing chaps. They all happened when I least expected anything could happen.

But the saw doesn't run without the chaps on anymore.

Not a matter of "if", just a matter of "when". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

I was going to say a whole lot here, but I will boil it down to this. If you need chaps to be safe, then wear them. I do not personally believe it is necessary or advisable for everyone. There are only about 4 months out of the year when I could wear them without suffering heat stroke anyway..... ymmv.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 05, 2012, 10:52:22 AM
Also have a spotter in case anything goes wrong and you need help in a hurry.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I could give you, too.

Ianab

I wear chaps, steel cap boots and a forestry helmet when I'm cutting (or milling).

I guess it does depend exactly what you are doing, but the trees we work with are usually big ugly tangles of branches. Limbing them is like a big puzzle with spring traps and trip hazards galore. I've not cut myself (or my chaps) yet, but I've had trips or tensioned branches place the saw worryingly close to me a couple of time. Correct grip on the saw and body position means I wouldn't have been cut, but close enough to remind my why I put the chaps on.

If it's hot I may only be wearing a T-shirt and shorts, but still put the chaps on.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Okrafarmer

I always wear long jeans, would never dream of working outside in shorts. Jeans are first line of defense against snakes, thorns, mosquitoes, bees, twigs, abrasions, small cuts, and so on. They also clean up easily and they breathe, allowing air and sweat through. They help keep you warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather.  I've tried wearing those slick "uniform pants" and hate them because they don't provide any friction. There are many times when I find myself on my knees to work, or using my leg for friction for some reason, and those slick pants are very nasty. They usually don't breathe real well either, and the ones that are as tough or tougher than jeans are usually more expensive too. Jeans are $10 a pair and I try to keep an extra pair along in case I rip them wide open.

nmurph

Labonville chaps, Matterhorn Kevlar saw boots, Bugz eye protection, gloves, ear plugs (and muffs if it isn't too hot), and a lot of common sense and caution. I don't wear a helmet bc we just don't have trees with bad tops or limbs.

Raider Bill

Being a complete and total Rookie sawing, felling, and bucking I wear chaps, helmet with face shield, boots, gloves and ear protection. I never used to until I started reading the horror stories here and seeing just how fast things can go wrong.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

snowstorm

Quote from: Okrafarmer on April 05, 2012, 02:39:27 PM
I always wear long jeans, would never dream of working outside in shorts. Jeans are first line of defense against snakes, thorns, mosquitoes, bees, twigs, abrasions, small cuts, and so on. They also clean up easily and they breathe, allowing air and sweat through. They help keep you warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather.  I've tried wearing those slick "uniform pants" and hate them because they don't provide any friction. There are many times when I find myself on my knees to work, or using my leg for friction for some reason, and those slick pants are very nasty. They usually don't breathe real well either, and the ones that are as tough or tougher than jeans are usually more expensive too. Jeans are $10 a pair and I try to keep an extra pair along in case I rip them wide open.
i gotta ask about the snakes. as you know we dont have them up here. or dont have any that know how to bite. first off i hate snakes. so do you see many? what do you do about them?

WildDog

At work it's the full kit due to policies and procedures, at home I get a bit slack, but most times wear a helmet/hearing/visor and sunglasses, boots and long pants in the bush. Never wear chaps at home, in summer I find them too hot and fatiguing. Last Sunday I set up saw horses and was lopping sawn timber to build a cattle ramp, only had shorts on and my legs were stained black for days from the tannins out of the hardwood.

This week I was chatting with a guy that had a small hardwood branch fall from a tree that whipped when he was dropping it and hit his younger brother in the head causing a serious wound. He said he now always wears a chainsaw helmet when using a saw.

Quotefirst off i hate snakes. so do you see many? what do you do about them?

We're crawling with them down here, if it's warm enough most of our nasties will move off if you walk slowly and heavily, just be carefull stepping over fallen logs.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

John Mc

When I'm felling, or working in the woods where there are things overhead, It's a forestry helmet with face shield and hearing protection, full-wrap chaps or chainsaw pants. I've also got rubber chainsaw boots, but generally only wear them if I'm working in a wet or muddy area.

I've known a couple of people who got head injuries, and it just ain't worth the risk, no matter how small it may be, or how careful I think I'm being.

In open areas, when I'm working logs on the ground, I'll sometimes skip the helmet and wear safety glasses and hearing protection instead.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OAP

Good boots always, ear defenders most of the time and a hard hat when I'm felling or when timber is lifted over head.

Okrafarmer

As for the snakes, we have a whole thread about nothing but snakes. I think it's called Snakes Snakes Snakes! or something like that.

Generally speaking, if we find poisonous snakes we get away from them and come back later. If the property owner is there and asks us to kill them, we do. The boss is rather kind-hearted toward snakes, but I prefer to destroy the poisonous ones especially in residential areas, which is where we do the bulk of our work.

mooleycow

i use some safety equipt.  i look at everything at least twice.  i take time and don't rush.  i keep ray with a working cell phone handy.  i consider ray my most important piece of safety equipt. 

Ward Barnes

Howdy Folks:

In addition to what other folks have said here I would like to add that when I am on my tractor mowing in the orchard I wear my chainsaw helmet that is hard hat/face shield and hearing protection all in one.  It has saved my head on more than one occasion.  I sometimes will go under branches of the apple trees trying to get as close a cut to the trunk as I can.  The ROPS (Roll Over Protection Structure) mounted on the tractor can pull a limb back as the tractor moves forward.  The limb then springs forward and smacks the back of my helmet.  One time so hard as to bring stars to my eyes.  Without the helmet I might not be here to report this.

It is hard to put your chaps on after you have cut your leg off.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

thecfarm

I wear chaps,viking boots,hard hard,my glasses are the safety type,gloves as soon as I get on the tractor.Remember the hard hat has to be changed out every so many years too.I don't think any of the above has really saved me YET. But I'm not about to say that too loud.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

The real pros have a safety helmet with face shield and ear muffs.  They wear boots and chaps.  These are the pros.  They do it for a reason. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

opticsguy

Ok, thanks for all the info.   Been involved in emergency services and medical for 33 years and have seen a lot of stuff no one could ever dream up.  My work was in the city so was not often exposed to agricultural and logging related accidents.

If something can go wrong, it will. 

So, where is the "best" place to purchase my chaps and full protection helmet??  . .and which ones are recommended?

Raider Bill

Baileys is where I bought all my gear. Used to be a link on the left of this page but I don't see it anymore.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

aquacanis

The pros know that if you cut long enough, YOU WILL GET CUT!  That is why
they are smart enough to use ALL the protective gear possible.  I started wearing kevlar chaps about 18 years ago.  My first pair has a nice 4 inch cut right across
the knee area from a kick back while liming.  My knee went untouched.  My old buddy (79) logged with a horse team says.  "We never had
that stuff when I worked the woods and I'am still here"  He laughs at my double ear protection and my chaps.  When I ask him how many times he had been actually cut with a chain saw he said Huh?  I repeated it twice more.  He finally understood what I said and said "only three times in all my times in the woods".
They didn't hearing protection then either.  Double hearing protection (plugs and muffs) and chaps cost about $60.00.  Buy em, don't saw without em.

mkjones32

I wear shielded helmet, ear protection, steel toes, leather gloves and Labonville Competition chaps.  I figure a few extra layers of kevlar can't hurt. I purchased them through Baileys.

Kevin

GoStumpy

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!  This is exactly the kind of thread I needed to read :)

I've been convinced to buy chaps, really hoping that they will fit in my case with the saw (the big square husky case) so that they're always there...

Never thought I'd have to spend another ~$100 on safety equipment, but really that's money better spent than on a $100 more expensive saw, LOL!

Thanks again for possibly saving my legs ;)

beenthere

Bailey's is a sponsor and click on Lucas Mill Bailey's in the left column.

Similar to aquacanis experience, I had a kick back (didn't see that small branch stub pushing against the underside of the saw) that laid open a gash in my chaps just above my knee cap. The day before I was heading out West for a two week elk hunt. Missed that bullet and only had to buy new chaps.
Another time was clearing brush for a Lions project, and was laughed at by one Lion (he was EMS van driver). However, when just about done I reached into some brush to make a cut, had a kickback that dropped the saw down lightly on my knee. Zip went the kevlar again. This Lion saw it and how fast it happened. He visualized where we were and what would have been involved had I not had the chaps on. His comment was "I'm going to buy a pair of those yet today!" and he religiously has worn them ever since that day. The third one was when I slipped in the snow and the chain was not quite stopped when it knicked my chaps. Only a small cut, but would have drawn blood nevertheless. I patched those chaps and offer them to visitors that just want to help in the brush, as they do protect the legs from the gooseberry bush thorns and raspberry and blackberry thorns.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Someone in the thread asked for recommendations on chaps. There are two main chap designs "apron" style (which do kind of look like an apron, at least before you buckle the leg straps), and "Full Wrap" chaps. There are also chain saw protective pants.

The apron style is a bit cooler to wear in hot weather, but doe snot provide as good protection. They provide coverage for the front half of your legs. That's where most of the cuts happen, but the problem is that if the chain catches them, it can spin the chaps around your leg, exposing the front part that it is supposed to be protecting. If it has stopped the chain by then, great. If not, you are going to see some damage to your leg. My personal choice is not to use this style, because I like the better protection of other options.

The Full wrap chaps wrap all the way around your lower leg, providing fuller protection. They tend not to spin on your leg as easily if the chain catches them, and even if they do spin, you still have some protection. They are significantly hotter than apron style chaps, but for me, the extra protection is worth it. (But then again, I live in Vermont, not the deep south. Dehydration and heat stroke or heat exhaustion can make you do stupid things. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were forced to do a lot of this work in hot, humid conditions ??)

Chainsaw pants are also a good option. All of the ones I've seen provide similar protection as full wrap chaps. The summer-weight ones are cooler than wearing either apron or full-wrap chaps over jeans, but the downside is that you can't just pop them off when you take a break, like you can with chaps. (Well, you can take them off, but the image of a sweaty grimy, guy sitting in the woods in his underwear is not something I care to contemplate... not to mention mosquito bites and ticks where you wouldn't normally get them.)

I sometimes cut with a friend who wears his full wrap chaps over shorts, It's fairly cool for him, but that's just not comfortable for me. I tend to wear some very light-weight long pants under my chaps when it's warm out.

Specific recommendations:

Apron Chaps:
I don't have any recommendations for apron chaps, since I don't wear them.

Full Wrap Chaps:
Husqvarna, Stihl, and Oregon and Labonville all make decent full wrap chaps. I'm sure there are others. I stay away from the low-end chaps (even when they are sold by a "name brand")- they often don't provide very good protection.

Here's what I wear: Husqvarna Pro Forest Wrap Chaps
(on Baily's web site. Others also sell them). These fit 36-38 overall length (NOT inseam length. Measure from top of your belt to top of your foot). If you nose around on this site, they do make longer lengths.

Also very good: Labonville Full-Wrap Safety Chaps
Currently on sale, but note on this link you have to select the size & color you want from the drop down menus to see the actual price.

Labonville also makes some good X-Treme Competition Chaps
These are full wrap, and have a few more plies of protective material. They are too hot and heavy for me, but some folks really like them.

The pants I use: Husqvarna Pro Forest Summer Protective Pants
These are summer weight, and swork OK for me in warmer weather. Browse to different links for different waist and inseam sizes.

They also make Winter chainsaw pants, but I haven't used them (I just use my full wrap chaps in the winter). Here are other brands of protective pants, but I don't have any experience with them.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

dancan

I wear chainsaw pants , more comfortable for me than chaps , helmet with visor , muffs and earplugs and usually Viking chainsaw boots .
You can still get hurt so make sure you bring your eyes and brain and use them .
Can-Swe makes safety gear and they're in your province .

WDH

I have a nice sawn tear on the lower thigh portion just above the knee on my chainsaw chaps.  Funny thing, I never realized that it had happened until later. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John Mc

Quote from: WDH on April 06, 2012, 09:35:14 PM
I have a nice sawn tear on the lower thigh portion just above the knee on my chainsaw chaps.  Funny thing, I never realized that it had happened until later.

Time to replace those chaps, unless all it clipped was the outer shell.

opticsguy

Thanks for all the information.

I do like the idea of pants versus chaps, looks like an easier on and off, just like pants.  :-)
My chain saw work is only occasional, not an all day affair so pants might be a good chouce for me. 

I do like shopping locally and will check out the local store first.

snowshoveler

Hello..
I am a mechanic at a saw shop.
As a result of this I see more than I would like the results of poor or no safety equipment.
From professionals to weekend warriors. A chainsaw will not give a second chance.
If you have the protection on and get hurt...the hospital will perhaps be good to you.
If you get hurt and don't have the protection on....well good luck with that.
Myself I have the Husky summer pants but will often times wear overalls with wraparound protection in the legs. They are comfortable and easy to get on and off. A plus is they keep me cleaner.
The chaps are popular for some folks and we sell a lot of them. Be carefull with them, they can twist on your leg when walking.
We have some available with zippers instead of buckles and if they are rated as good as the pants and overalls then I might get a pair.
I also wear the helmet with screen and safety glasses and ear protection. Steel toed boots are pretty much all I ever wear anywhere.
I work safe and don't plan on having an accident...and I am sure nobody wants to have an accident. So I do my best not to be in one.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

John Mc

Quote from: opticsguy on April 07, 2012, 12:05:32 PM
I do like shopping locally and will check out the local store first.

A good chainsaw shop will stock pants, or can get them for you. Around here, they tend to sell more chaps, so I had to get my local Husky dealer to order me the pants. I'm sure the other major brands also have good offerings.

The Husqvarna pants I listed are Machine washable, which was a nice plus for me. If they weren't, they'd get pretty rank, because I'm not likely to take the time to wash them by hand

bill m

What do I use?  Peltor helmet with ear and eye protection, Labonville full wrap chaps, Chippewa super logger steel toed boots, gloves and orange safety vest, all day every day.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

opticsguy

This afternoon, stopped by the local chainsaw store and tried out the chaps, I really wanted to see the pants but ended up buying the chaps and the helmet/ear protection.  I think this will work out well.    The chaps were about 5-10 bucks more than mail order but I got them today and can cut tomorrow.

Already have steel toed boots.

Thanks for everyones help.

petefrom bearswamp

74 years old and have been hit on the head 3 times twice in the 70s and once in 1995. Every time a hard hat saved my bacon.
The worst was 1995 when a tree glanced off of my hard hat and ruptured my left ACL and knocked me silly.
The knee is OK now but my wife will testify that I am certifiably wanting in the mental region.
A friend and i were cutting and skidding firewood from my woodlot several   years ago when a dead snag toppled and glanced off of his head (no Hard Hat) he has 2 fractured vertebrae and has a couple of pins in his neck.
He now wears a hard hat.
Have only cut a leg once, a minor cut on my left kneecap in 1971 which took 4 stitches.
BUT my chaps have a few nicks in them.
Ear protection is a must as i now have pretty poor hearing form too much sawing and shooting when I was young..
Take heed you young bucks!!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!